Wear those chaps people

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add, use hearing protection, too. The effects of high noise are not as immediate or dramatic as a saw cut, but serious hearing loss can make life very in convenient.
Yes on the ear protection. I shot my 38 Special today (one time) and immediately knew I screwed up by not wearing ear protection. My ears started ringing right away and still haven't stopped.

Scary stuff. I am well aware of the dangers, and like to think I am always vigilant, but all it takes for a disaster, is a micro-second of inattention.
I always feel safer when using a saw with a longer bar, and on a difficult cut, never put the saw into the wood until it is at cutting speed. This lessens the chance that the teeth are going to grab and toss the saw back at me.
I have been putting off buying a new pair of chaps, but the pictures have convinced me to get my butt in gear and purchase a new pair.

Mine started ringing 20 years ago.
Same here. Too many years running a skill saw on a roofing crew when I was younger. In a crowd, I can't hear worth a darn any more.

At the range, I wear ear pro religiously. Not so much with hunting though. The except is if I'm using my Encore pistol with it's 16" barrel chambered in 7-08. I had a break installed shortly after I got it (late 90s). I only shot it in the woods 1 time without hearing protection. My muffs were around my neck, but the doe ran out and stopped in front of me at 50 yds. After squeezing the trigger, I decided the next time the deer gets to live.

a2adc8246e5e6f59fb0a4176a882ce8d.jpg

56499acc094bd462be47f12591d0d6db.jpg

7affe7ccd23d3407980b79fa3a62a000.jpg

10b884b420d8aaa29724de65bc75e098.jpg

Pics from the net
That one makes me want to sell all my saws without chain brakes…………

Yes on the ear protection. I shot my 38 Special today (one time) and immediately knew I screwed up by not wearing ear protection. My ears started ringing right away and still haven't stopped.
Ben Thompson, an audiologist on YouTube, has some good info on tinnitus.

Best Buy on chaps, helmets, etc. and place to buy? I see the Echo kit around a hundred bucks and was wondering about the quality. I have a
Husqvarna helmet and old chaps and these would be a Christmas present.

Latest posts

Back