What brand of saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paton

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to buy new ground saws, Stihl 26/36 or Husqvarna 357/562xp.

Comments on all models and your reasons for preference greatly appreciated.

I am a big Stihl fan but don't think my 362 is as good as my 361 so possibly time to try Husqvarna.

Alan

Welcome to the forum, I only have experience with the Stihl 362, I found the air filter to be useless when cutting dead hardwood.

The intake design on the swede saws are some of the best I have seen. I have to say, I think Stihl could learn a thing or two there.

Hi All,

Looking to buy new ground saws, Stihl 26/36 or Husqvarna 357/562xp.

Comments on all models and your reasons for preference greatly appreciated.

I am a big Stihl fan but don't think my 362 is as good as my 361 so possibly time to try Husqvarna.

Alan

You are on the right track, follow that track from the MS361 to the 560xp or 562xp. :msp_smile:

The MS362 is a step in the wrong direction, and the 357xp a sidestep at best....

Last edited:
I personally love the 362. But they need some muffler work and a good break-in to be a good saw. It takes a good 25+ tanks to get them broke in to where they will run real good.

The 562 is probably the best 60cc saw out there right now. But the 362 is right there near it.

Last edited:
I personally love the 362. But they need some muffler work and a good break-in to be a good saw. It takes a good 25+ tanks to get them broke in to where they will run real good.

Very true my 362 also grew stronger with every tank.

Welcome to AS :)

I kinda like that area your from (Adelaide) I'm kinda into sprint cars as while as chainsaw's :msp_thumbsup:

I'm a Stihl guy but it doesn't hurt to branch out and try different thing's

My next saw is MS 460

I'm working on the CAD program - 40cc; 50cc; 60cc and 70cc plan :msp_tongue:

Depends on who and how well trained your ground crew is IMO. If they are not knuckleheads get any of the saws you mentioned. I lean towards Husky anymore. If they are not so saw/tree work savvy I would get something cheap like a Rancher or Farmboss. I know a lot of the ground guys that work for some of the fellas I climb for will beat a saw to death if you don't keep on them.

You are on the right track, follow that track from the MS361 to the 560xp or 562xp. :msp_smile:

The MS362 is a step in the wrong direction, and the 357xp a sidestep at best....

Sawtroll, just because I value your opinion, what is your beef against the 357xp?I have found mine to be one of the most reliable saws I have ever used, and have run most of what Husky has to offer and still ended back up with the 357.

Anything particular you dont like about it?

Paton,

562xp. The new autotune saws 555 and 562xp were/are set to replace the 359 and 357xp. The 555 replacing the 359 and the 562xp replacing the 357xp. That being said the new 555 (4.3hp) was faster than the 357xp (4.7?) by 2 seconds I believe. The test was done by mweba. Well, Ive ran both 555 and 562xp head to head and the 562xp is a lot stronger than the 555. The new Husqvarna autotunes are really nice. Especially the 562xp

I imitate Niko-

The 357 is heavier than the 361. The Euro 361 is stronger than the US version. But the 361 is modeled from plans stolen from Husqvarna for the 357 by an engineer that moved from Sweden to Germany...

How'd I do, Niko?

My take-

The 357/361 are within a couple of ounces of each other. Powerwise, I don't think you can tell the difference as both are rated at 4.4hp US. If you are chosing bw the two, flip a coin and you will be happy.

Sawtroll, just because I value your opinion, what is your beef against the 357xp?I have found mine to be one of the most reliable saws I have ever used, and have run most of what Husky has to offer and still ended back up with the 357.

Anything particular you dont like about it?

The main beef is that the cc and power is on the low side, both for the weight and for a 60cc saw, at only 56.5cc.

Husky actually was lacking a true 60cc xp saw, between the 262xp and the 560xp/562xp. Remember that the 357xp was the replacement for the 254xp, and not the 262xp, while the 362xp failed to really replace the 262xp.

I imitate Niko-

The 357 is heavier than the 361. The Euro 361 is stronger than the US version. But the 361 is modeled from plans stolen from Husqvarna for the 357 by an engineer that moved from Sweden to Germany...

How'd I do, Niko?

My take-

The 357/361 are within a couple of ounces of each other. Powerwise, I don't think you can tell the difference as both are rated at 4.4hp US. If you are chosing bw the two, flip a coin and you will be happy.

Well, two small mistakes there! :D

Most importantly, it was the 361xp that was stolen, and the culprit was a certain belgian....:laugh::laugh:

Secondly, the twin 4.4s on the US market aren't really alike, as it was 4.4hp(m)/3.2kW vs. 4.4hp(i)/3.3kW. Btw, the Euro version of the 361 was rated at 4.6hp(m)/3.4kw. Cylinder and muffler was different.

Forgot to say, others have found a much larger weight difference than the couple of ounses you mentioned, more like about 3/4 pound.

Same size B&C, powerheads drained.

147734095_QSCTn-M.jpg

147734086_thvHY-M.jpg

Brad, a bathroom scale that rounds off to the closest halv pound is not usable for a comparison, and those bars are not the same, even though they are the same length.
There are lots of weight difference in different bars.

Latest posts

Back