What saw for trail clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty funny talk, I have packed 70cc saws in the bush many times. Now, what about fallers here who are well over 50 years old packing around 066s and 395s, along with oil, gas and a pack, on steep, steep ground? All day, every day. Makes this talk funny, does it not?

I swear many of you would recommend a 361 for their Grandma as a carving knife if you had the chance :greenchainsaw:

Now thats funny.....and true :chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

I have the 026 and plenty impressed with it's performance. 16" bar,sharp chain...where's the wood?!?....:) I'm happy with the old technology......:clap: ...and parts galore. I've heard alot of good stuff about the 5100 and 346 also,but never used them.You would stand a better chance of finding a good deal on the 026/260 over the Husq. or Dolmar though....when I was looking at this size saw couldn't find any in the price range that I paid for the 026.

Depending on the ground a six is better suited for trails less
easy to get stuck and winch will get it out if it does :cheers:
If your gonna track walk somethin in,might as well make it a CAT 320 excavator w/thumb,and a nice large 2yrd gen purpose bucket,what you lose in grade time youll more than make up in pushing/tossing trees around w/ root wads.That being said,a handfull of scouts with a chainsaw is WAY cheaper,having cleared my share of cross country ski trails and backcountry telemark trails with an 026 Id go for more RPMS and larger fuel tank.Hard work is good for kids,gives them a good reference point and burns up alot of hormones.

ak

hey 2dogs for work i carry gas and oil in a piggyback can, for trail clearing i carry them in powerade bottles and then carry them in a leather pouch.

for the axe i carry it in a scabbard also from madsens on a padded belt with suspenders and on the belt i also have a wedge pouch, file and scrench pouch and a roll of flagging

The intent was not to highlight who has walked further (who really cares?). But, you made this statement as part of a previous post:

Anybody suggesting a 361 obviously hasn't had to walk too far in the woods with a saw before; every pound counts.

The intent was to suggest that you're complaining about virtually nothing. I previously suggested that he opt for 1) an MS 361, 2) an MS 260. I have walked far in the woods...and I still offer the suggestion of a 361 due to its added versatility. What if his needs were for even a larger saw? You still going to recommend a 260 based on your preference for light weight? Probably not...needs dictate what you carry...and you become accustom to dealing with weight. A hand saw weighs next to nothing...why not carry that?

Last edited:
T
What if his needs were for even a larger saw? You still going to recommend a 260 based on your preference for light weight? Probably not...needs dictate what you carry...and you become accustom to dealing with weight. A hand saw weighs next to nothing...why not carry that?

Now you're just being silly. The man appears to be taking down smaller trees based on the very limited description of the territory and clearly is doing this in his spare/ volunteer time with the Scouts. My suggestions are to try and minimize his personal fatigue and physical burden and to enjoy what he's doing as best he can.

For me, lugging around less weight and having to make multiple cuts on the occasional big-ish tree is a reasonable compromise.

Perhaps we can just agree to disagree; both saws are reasonable suggestions and even the lowly MS260 is a big upgrade form their current MS210.

Has he replied to indicate which saw he is looking to buy yet?

...Perhaps we can just agree to disagree; both saws are reasonable suggestions and even the lowly MS260 is a big upgrade form their current MS210.

Has he replied to indicate which saw he is looking to buy yet?[/QUOTE]

Sounds fair...Agree to Disagree...Yes. But silly? I don't think so. I'm not aware of any indication as to his purchase intentions. I suspect that cost my play the largest factor of all...as I believe that he's suggested in one of his previous posts. He can hardly go wrong with either choice.

Sounds fair...Agree to Disagree...Yes. But silly? I don't think so.

Yes, silly. The suggestion of using just a handsaw when I was pushing the lightweight criteria was silly.

I am interested in seeing what the guy will buy and it seems like price is usually the deciding factor with volunteer causes. That's why we see so many MS290's go out the door up here for snowmobile trail clearing; dirt cheap with decent power... unfortunately, nobody who is in a buying position knows anything about swapping out a P&C, the importance of weight, etc.

I gots to get in on this. They are teen boys? Right? Carrying the saw is irrelevant because one can do the Tom Sawyer thing and the saw(s) will be carried by different ones. Sherpa Boy Scouts. I'm assuming that they will be allowed to carry the saw but not operate it. We usually have an extra person along who helps carry the gear. One refers to herself as the Wedge Wench. When we need a wedge, we yell Wedge Wench, Wedge Wench! We try to make trail work as fun as possible. One trail had trees on it that no way no how was anybody going to mess with....6 ft diameter punkins. We cleared a temp. detour and left those for the expert. I will say, after packing Old Sparkless around all day, I set a record for time spent in the hot tub afterwards. I'll be packing Fluffy or Twinkle when we start again, and will enjoy having their extra power cuz we don't know what we'll find out here. You've got a good chance to teach and show how to use tools properly. I took a couple of 18 year olds out with me last summer and was shocked to learn they did not even know how to chop (correctly) with an axe! And they grew up in our rural area! People who know how to do this kind of work are becoming fewer and fewer. Hope you can show that physical labor is not always a bad thing to your boys. Have fun and take cookies.:clap: And I'd think of something else to yell at the wedge carrier.:)

P around here we use the term swamper. :) That is usually my son since he is the only scout I trust to work around the running saw. You are correct about the scouts needing to learn hard physical work. Some of our boys don't even have chores at home so the kearning curve is rather steep but they have all survived. I tell new parents and their scouts that I will send them home tired and dirty after these projects. It's just part of scouting.

Yes, silly. The suggestion of using just a handsaw when I was pushing the lightweight criteria was silly.

I am interested in seeing what the guy will buy and it seems like price is usually the deciding factor with volunteer causes. That's why we see so many MS290's go out the door up here for snowmobile trail clearing; dirt cheap with decent power... unfortunately, nobody who is in a buying position knows anything about swapping out a P&C, the importance of weight, etc.

LOL, Jack you do realize that the "hand saw" remark was just a touch of friendly sarcasm, atleast I would have hoped that you would have realize it? Now...you're just being plain silly...really...you are. I hope you don't mind if I tune you out at this point. :dizzy:

palogger: If you're looking for added capabilty in what is STILL a light saw; you'll find it in the 12.3lb MS 361, however, if weight is tantamount in your consideration; the 10.6lb MS 260 would be a great choice for you. You can't go wrong with either choice, but, if a little money and an extra 1.7lbs in powerhead weight doesn't bother you...you may want to seriously consider the MS 361 for its added versatilty on the chance that you encounter something that requires a little longer bar in order to get the job done. In the long run; I think you'll appreciate the advantages of the 361 in this case.

Hmmm...the tone of this this sounds remarkably similar to my original recommendation to you...Good luck in your choice! :cheers:

Last edited:
hey yall i have been very pleased with the responses, and am really impressed with the number of recomendations for the 260, when i started looking around i was considering a ms290, but not once has anyboday mentioned it and after looking i see why because it is heavy than the 361. If i get a chance tomorrow i am gonna stop at the one local dealer and see hat they have in the used saw department. i still have not decided on a saw so keep the replies coming.

Hey yall been a while but i finally got a saw, an older Stihl 026, the best part was the price, free. it is currently wearing a 16 inch bar with full chisel .325 chain. my nexzt question is will it pull a 20" chain either .325 or 3/8

Hey yall been a while but i finally got a saw, an older Stihl 026, the best part was the price, free. it is currently wearing a 16 inch bar with full chisel .325 chain. my next question is will it pull a 20" chain either .325 or 3/8

Sure it will, but not very enthusiastically - stay with the 16".......

Hey yall been a while but i finally got a saw, an older Stihl 026, the best part was the price, free. it is currently wearing a 16 inch bar with full chisel .325 chain. my nexzt question is will it pull a 20" chain either .325 or 3/8

A 16 or 18 with .325 will work great. A 20 is too long for cutting firewood size trees but if you are just using to extend your reach while doing light clearing it will work OK. Our crew runs several 260 Pro's, most with an 18" bar, mine wears a 16. They're good rugged saws, just mind the air filter. I would carry a spare bar nut tied to your gas can, a sprocket and e-clip. File often but have a spare chain too.

thanks 2dog the plan for the saw is trail work and to keep in the toolbox of the truck for emergency uses

Latest posts

Back