whats everyone burning right now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you ever wondered what causes this kinda backup? I have and followed the creek later to see just what did. 95 times out of 100 it is something man made. Water now a days just does not have any place to go. So much pavement it can't find the ground.

Naw... Just par for the course here... Only concrete for 10 miles is blacktop on the roads...
Happens when we get more than 3 or 4 " on already wet ground.

Exactly. Then if the culvert under the road isn't large enough to pass the water in this situation, the road dam breaks and the road goes.

But blacktop on the roads are major man made structures. The road in your photo looks to be acting as a dam.

The roads here are made to flow over... Under when at normal flow, over when at flood stage...
If we removed the bridge, the water level would not change...
It is a natural flood plain...
You sure are wrong a lot Del....
:laugh:

Exactly. Then if the culvert under the road isn't large enough to pass the water in this situation, the road dam breaks and the road goes.

Which direction is the water flowing?

I love Internet experts...
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Last edited:
This year, we live in da swamp Ed..

attachment.php

Where are the salmon? The road that frequently floods to the west of here is always shown flooded with salmon swimming on the highway.

I am having a fire in the mornings. I am burning Douglas-fir and maple--both locally grown. I've been cutting in a cull deck and getting Red Alder for next winter as the deck has been decked for over a year.

Normal spring here. We never know what we'll get. Oh, and yesterday, since it was overcast and fairly dry, I burned hemlock limbs outside.
Now is the time of year we hope for a slow, orderly melt of the snowpack up in the high country. We don't want to have a spring flood.

Totally off topic here. Slowp, what is your avatar pic of?

Back on topic, been too warm to burn here, but gonna cool off a lil this weekend, so gonna try to burn up some chips, splitter trash and some Oak limbs that I've been saving for the "shoulder season"

Where are the salmon? The road that frequently floods to the west of here is always shown flooded with salmon swimming on the highway.
I am having a fire in the mornings. I am burning Douglas-fir and maple--both locally grown. I've been cutting in a cull deck and getting Red Alder for next winter as the deck has been decked for over a year.

Normal spring here. We never know what we'll get. Oh, and yesterday, since it was overcast and fairly dry, I burned hemlock limbs outside.
Now is the time of year we hope for a slow, orderly melt of the snowpack up in the high country. We don't want to have a spring flood.

I'd settle for a catfish or two...

Yes, the culvert on this road is undersized. :D Actually, there is a little pond out in a swamp, that turns into a lake when we have the right conditions. The lake backs up and covers the road at this low spot. When log truck drivers are unfamiliar with our local flood habits, they fail to take the detour, which is marked by barricades, arrows, and flashing lights, and this happens. This picture was taken after the water level dropped a bit.

View attachment 291236

Yes, the culvert on this road is undersized. :D Actually, there is a little pond out in a swamp, that turns into a lake when we have the right conditions. The lake backs up and covers the road at this low spot. When log truck drivers are unfamiliar with our local flood habits, they fail to take the detour, which is marked by barricades, arrows, and flashing lights, and this happens. This picture was taken after the water level dropped a bit.

View attachment 291236

Where's the salmon??!!
I wanna see the salmon!!!!

On another note:
Will a log truck, with a full load of logs float???
If it gets deep enough???
:laugh:

At first look I took your photo to be of an intersection with one of the roads being under water. Looking closer I see it is a single road that runs through a flood plain.

Yea... It's a little misleading, but that wasn't my intention... It's low and flat here in our little area...
Even at flood stage, I'll bet that water isn't moving but 5-6 mph...
And it takes "just right" conditions to get it up this high... The ground is well saturated this spring, and we got over 3" of rain in the wee hours of the morning... Perfect recipe for "turn around and go the other way"....

That's a piece of ribbon that Foresters use to mark trees for cutting. They don't mark enough of them though.

Back on topic...we're burning a little Doug fir and oak to take the chill off in the morning.

Need some cookies???
I seem to have a lot of em' around here lately...:msp_rolleyes:

289678d1365608721-dry-jpg

That's a piece of ribbon that Foresters use to mark trees for cutting. They don't mark enough of them though.

Back on topic...we're burning a little Doug fir and oak to take the chill off in the morning.

WRONG and it is a good thing you don't cut up here. That is unit boundary flagging. Cut that tree, little as it is, and the guys who have the guns might be having a talk with you. Now, to make it harder to ignore or move, trees are painted with the secret formula paint, and tags are put up on the boundary, along with that blue flagging. But, when we're first figuring out where to put a unit, only flagging is used because it can easily be torn down and changed.

The log truck was towed to the mill the next day. It made for some good conversation in a little community. The One Stop was graced by the appearance of a guy who was wet on the morning of the incident. They said he did not look very happy. Oh, that is not the road that the salmon go on. Salmon are not very common here because they must be trucked around the dams that block the river. Yes, salmon are trucked. Every day, the fish truck goes by. It was part of the deal for putting in another dam. I think there is a Far Side cartoon about trucking or boating salmon up a river.

OK, I just put a couple more pieces of wood on the fire, and that should do it for most of the day. It is Spring here.

Got the flue and pipes brushed out last weekend. It's messy and I never look forward to it but spring is the time to do it.

Still having a cool, damp night on occasion. The SheWolf fired up the stove yesterday morning. There's a bunch of seasoned sweetgum left and some odd red maple limb pieces. Perfect for this time of year. :)

I was hoping to pressure-wash the siding this weekend but looks like I'll set out the garden instead. The maters and peppers are ready to go out and I've got summer squash to plant.

WRONG and it is a good thing you don't cut up here. That is unit boundary flagging. Cut that tree, little as it is, and the guys who have the guns might be having a talk with you. Now, to make it harder to ignore or move, trees are painted with the secret formula paint, and tags are put up on the boundary, along with that blue flagging. But, when we're first figuring out where to put a unit, only flagging is used because it can easily be torn down and changed.

Picky, picky, picky. Sheesh. What if you had to cut that shrub to make an escape path? The Foresters probably wouldn't remember which tree was flagged anyway so the thing to do would be take the ribbon off of the fallen tree and tie it on another one.
We'd try to keep the boundary line square, honest we would. Mostly.

The log truck was towed to the mill the next day. It made for some good conversation in a little community. The One Stop was graced by the appearance of a guy who was wet on the morning of the incident. They said he did not look very happy. Oh, that is not the road that the salmon go on. Salmon are not very common here because they must be trucked around the dams that block the river. Yes, salmon are trucked. Every day, the fish truck goes by. It was part of the deal for putting in another dam. I think there is a Far Side cartoon about trucking or boating salmon up a river.

OK, I just put a couple more pieces of wood on the fire, and that should do it for most of the day. It is Spring here.

how many feet from a creek can you cut there ? there's a bunch of those blue paint marks on trees along my road ,i was wondering why they left them some were nice looking

Jack pine is what I am burning.

During the cold winter months I burn birch, which is the best that can be had up here.

..... now back to your regular programming. :D

how many feet from a creek can you cut there ? there's a bunch of those blue paint marks on trees along my road ,i was wondering why they left them some were nice looking

Depends on the creek--is it year round? Depends on the optimum site tree height. Depends on the attitude of the hydrologist and fish head. And, you must know that different land owners/agencies use different colors for things. That's why, before any cutting begins, it is extremely important to have a gathering and make sure everybody understands what is what. Even then, mistakes are made.

Perhaps we could better do a thread on this stuff by venturing over to the Forestry and Logging Forum. In fact, there may already be such threads buried under all the Faller:bowdown: threads.

Latest posts

Back