whats everyone burning right now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the creek--is it year round? Depends on the optimum site tree height. Depends on the attitude of the hydrologist and fish head. And, you must know that different land owners/agencies use different colors for things. That's why, before any cutting begins, it is extremely important to have a gathering and make sure everybody understands what is what. Even then, mistakes are made.

Perhaps we could better do a thread on this stuff by venturing over to the Forestry and Logging Forum. In fact, there may already be such threads buried under all the Faller:bowdown: threads.

i started some general questions here http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/234563.htm#post4282329

Just 12 days away from the month of May Steve... how 'bout that hat-eating you were promising me?

Tis one seriously effed up year we're having here, luckily I have a very tasty hat if need be:

imageresize.asp

Well, stove running again. cold tonight and tomorrow night, 30s. Got poplar and some splitter trash burning now. Ill drop a big chunka oak in later on.

I got about 2/3 cord in the back of the truck right now.. Won't burn it this year though...
Anyone ever burnt a liquid amber tree???
:msp_confused:

I got about 2/3 cord in the back of the truck right now.. Won't burn it this year though...

That's what I know as a sweet gum tree. It's got the five pointed leaves and those seed pods that look like a midieval ball-n-chain type things. I haven't seen many up here in MA, and they are pretty gnarly, so not too good for firewood. I had one or two logs of this stuff once and it got kind of punky because I guess I didn't get it split quickly enough. Decent heat output though.

Gonna give us an update (your install thread) on the Kumma now that you have lived with 'er for a winter? (chimney pics required!)

Yes. I am waiting till heating season itotallyly over. Then all cleaned to give an accurate update. Should be in a couple of weeks.

currently burning pine.lots and lots of pine. of course its outside in my pit.because its effin 80 degrees here today. down to 65 at 10pm.

Tis one seriously effed up year we're having here, luckily I have a very tasty hat if need be:

Your hat is safe Steve, I capitulate... I was just having a bit of fun with ya'. I'm pretty sure, between all the rain we received last week, and then again this week, the last of the frost is gone... the driveway has firmed-up. There's still some ice/snow in the shaded area where I pile with the plow, maybe there's some frost under it (maybe not??) and I could likely find frost somewhere in the woodlot if I wanted to search... but I'm a fair minded guy and wouldn't hold you to that. Besides, I have nothing to lose, nit-picking would only cause me to be the loser in other ways.

Sweet gum burns ok. It doesn't have the BTUs of oak or hickory but it's not bad. The problem is splitting it. It has a stringy, twisted grain that tends to rip rather than split. I got two truck loads from a a tree I took down for a friend. If you split by hand, as I do, you'll never want to do it again if there's any other wood around.

Propane right now, cause winter refuses to go away and i done put the wood up and cleaned the stove up. Frost warnings this morning. Wish you guys up north would warm up so we can too.:hmm3grin2orange:

Talk to that midget up in da Pas about that one. He keeps sending his negative metric weather down here, and I'm about fed up with it myself. 18 good old fashioned American degrees here, firebox full of pine, and I'm off to cut some wood.

Was 60 here yesterday and still is. Supposed to be 70 ish today. I haven't lit the stove for a couple weeks.

Get well soon Arkansas and NW WI. :(

Was 60 here yesterday and still is. Supposed to be 70 ish today. I haven't lit the stove for a couple weeks.

Get well soon Arkansas and NW WI. :(

You sound like another midget, that hasn't had a fire all winter because he gets enough heat from cooking :msp_rolleyes:

Propane right now, cause winter refuses to go away and i done put the wood up and cleaned the stove up. Frost warnings this morning. Wish you guys up north would warm up so we can too.:hmm3grin2orange:

The cold blew in here from the south yesterday. :msp_unsure:
Framed up the roof for a small addition in 75 degree sunshine all day. Winds gusting to about 35-40 mph made the plywood sheathing kinda interesting. Had it watertight at 4:00 and its still in the 70's. Pick up the tools, clean up the site, put together a game plan for Monday. Winds out of the south gusting to the "pull the snot outta yer nose" range and the temperature when I get in the van at 5:00 is 50. 20 degree drop in one hour. Sorry, no pics. :msp_tongue:

BTW, burnin' a bunch of stuff I labeled as junk and almost hauled to the compost pile last month. Thankfully, I'm a procrastinator. Expected high of around 40 today.

Latest posts

Back