Where can I buy a top handle saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use my 355 daily...btw...forgot to mention that.

Good to know i know i have had good luck with echos for since they were grey and orange.... i never had the old time all orange ones but know people who still have ones that run.... thats a long time.....im no longer as abusive as i was in my younger days ... i dont throw equipment or slam it any more... i pick up my spare and go back to work and look at the tool later at my shop with a cooler head.... usually something simple.....of course im about 51 now so i should be a lil more mellow LOl.... if your getting 2 years it should last me till im no longer doing it at all....

Thank you all for the suggestions. That 4th of July sale would be great if I can get the cash..

Another vote for the CS355T. I'd also have the CS2501T if I could justify the purchase.
I have both the 271t and the cs2511t and i like the 271t build better its a lil heavier and the throttle response is not as crisp.. im sure a muffler mod would wake it up but im fine with it.... i got mine at a dealer day event at 20 percent off....its cheap felt filter does a much better job then my cs 2511t on palms....i bought the 2511t for palms...also the clutch area is just a little more clearance so it does not clog with the palm fibers after 2 or 3.... you have to take a scrench or small stick and clean it out and the av is a lil tighter on the 271.... for the price i paid its perfect... the 2511t is a great saw fun to use would be fine for other trees.. In florida we have alot of palm trees LOL.... i have not cut a log with both for a comparison i will do that soon see if the wife will video it.... see what the difference is... use the same chain on each....i have some oak from a job i did thats not huge 8 to ten inches....

I have both the 271t and the cs2511t and i like the 271t build better its a lil heavier and the throttle response is not as crisp.. im sure a muffler mod would wake it up but im fine with it.... i got mine at a dealer day event at 20 percent off....its cheap felt filter does a much better job then my cs 2511t on palms....i bought the 2511t for palms...also the clutch area is just a little more clearance so it does not clog with the palm fibers after 2 or 3.... you have to take a scrench or small stick and clean it out and the av is a lil tighter on the 271.... for the price i paid its perfect... the 2511t is a great saw fun to use would be fine for other trees.. In florida we have alot of palm trees LOL.... i have not cut a log with both for a comparison i will do that soon see if the wife will video it.... see what the difference is... use the same chain on each....i have some oak from a job i did thats not huge 8 to ten inches....
I just brought in another truckload of 15 year-old poplar with my Echo cS3400 top handle that has to be 22 years old. It had plenty of power to knock off dozens of branches and cross cut the trunks. I think it was the best saw I could have brought for the job. I filled the truck with logs cut to length using just over a tank of fuel.

Another visit to the same site is scheduled for tomorrow and Friday. I could bring my 355T or 330T, but I like giving the old guy a chance to prove himself. It's no wonder that the climbers loved using him for years and years.

I just brought in another truckload of 15 year-old poplar with my Echo cS3400 top handle that has to be 22 years old. It had plenty of power to knock off dozens of branches and cross cut the trunks. I think it was the best saw I could have brought for the job. I filled the truck with logs cut to length using just over a tank of fuel.

Another visit to the same site is scheduled for tomorrow and Friday. I could bring my 355T or 330T, but I like giving the old guy a chance to prove himself. It's no wonder that the climbers loved using him for years and years.

One of my fave saws that whole line..... people bash them for cutting speed but when a saw last you 20 years or so and you sell it still running... it was made well....

The Echo 2551t is hands down the best power to weight. But if you plan on doing removals of any size, you want a 35cc saw like a Stihl 200t. A used Stihl 201t can often be found sub-$400 in fair condition, but requires some simple modification to unlock its potential. Echo and Husqvarna also have functional 35cc top handles that can be had below $400.

The 30cc class is dissapointing in all brands. 192t, 193t, 271t, etc. Heavy to trim with and too weak to cut big wood. Don't be lured by the price tag.

+1 for a T540xp with either 28” or 36” Tsumura

Perfect climbing saw without having to climb

B74D0961-6D0E-48E1-AF8C-6DD21E24FD61.jpeg

The Echo 2551t is hands down the best power to weight. But if you plan on doing removals of any size, you want a 35cc saw like a Stihl 200t. A used Stihl 201t can often be found sub-$400 in fair condition, but requires some simple modification to unlock its potential. Echo and Husqvarna also have functional 35cc top handles that can be had below $400.

The 30cc class is dissapointing in all brands. 192t, 193t, 271t, etc. Heavy to trim with and too weak to cut big wood. Don't be lured by the price tag.

A muffler mod and timing advance really helps the 192T/193T. Its still not a 200T/201T but makes a good beginner climbing saw.

+1 for a T540xp with either 28” or 36” Tsumura

Perfect climbing saw without having to climb

View attachment 661549
My logger buddy likes to use an MS660 with a 36" bar to prune big trees of stubs and beaver tails. He needs to bring in clean logs to the saw mill. He says that the long bar makers it easy and he never has to reach as far, up or down. On the other hand, he never climbs a tree to prune any branches. He drops the tree first and works from there.

Climbers need small saws. Loggers need big saws. Society needs both. I think it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I have a fully ported 192t with a gutted muffler and a healthy timing advance. I even bored and filed the carb. It's still disappointing. It trims great, but it's no takedown saw.
I think it's slightly more powerful (after intensive modifications) than a 2551t. The modded echo blows it away.

I did i big cabbage palm today first time back after my calf tear.... it was over some rv's... used a hand saw alot.... then cleaned it up itup my cs 271t.... only issue was shaving it nice and tight with the 12 inch bar..... on queen palms its ok but i need at least a 16 inch bar to really do it fast...it came out decent... the saw worked well but it was as big around as a small canary island date palm.... bigger bar woulda made it easy .....if nothing under neath me i would not have even used a hand saw.....I may try a 16 on my cs 355t.....for big palms.....

Latest posts

Back