Which one to buy?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVhunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, but I have been visiting this site for quite sometime now, and have learned alot. Tomorrow I will be going to buy a new saw, another Stihl, that I have already decided. Now my question, I cut between 10 and 15 cords of firewood per year to heat my home with and I also help friends cut, I was going to purchase the MS361 because I have read so many good things about it, OOOOOR should I go ahead and by the MS441? I HAVE A ms250 AND A 034 that is close to 20 years old now. Would the 441 and 20" bar be overkill for what I need, or would the 361 be plenty of saw? The biggest logs I cut are around 24" across. I am not a logger, but I just want a really good firewood saw. Thanks for the help, and thanks for all I have already learned.

Last edited:
I guess I should have said 24" across, not diameter. Also all I cut is hardwood, redoak, locust, hickory, white oak, etc......

rahtreelimbs said:
If 24" wood is all you will cut then a 361 with a 20" will do you well!!!:biggrinbounce2:

Go for the 441 if you want more a$$!!!

The 441 will weigh more than the 361.

This Is Not A bash The 441 Weight Thread.............Oh Boy!!!

TreeCo said:
It's good of you to bring that up Rich. Just how heavy is that 441?:laugh:

Figures you would bring that up Dan!!!

How heavy...........well..........I'll take it over a 460!!!:biggrinbounce2: :bang: :ices_rofl:

I have a 361, and if you get in a bind, it will pull a 28" bar with full skip chain.I have no doubt it would be happy with a 24". Its very happy with a 20", and mine wears a 16" most of the time.

heres mine with 28" bar in some White Oak.

attachment.php

If you are cuting 24" Oak and are not on a time crunch a 361 is a great saw. For some more$$$$ the 441 has WAY more power especially TQ. The 441 is heavier but will go through the bigger hardwood better.

Either saw will fit your needs. Go tothe dealership and ask to test them noth out, or better yet see if they will let you demo one for a few days then bring it back and try the other one. Most good dealerships have demo programs.

Thanks guys for the replies. I will sleep on it. I am just trying to figure out which would be the best firewood saw.

WVhunter said:
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here, but I have been visiting this site for quite sometime now, and have learned alot. Tomorrow I will be going to buy a new saw, another Stihl, that I have already decided. Now my question, I cut between 10 and 15 cords of firewood per year to heat my home with and I also help friends cut, I was going to purchase the MS361 because I have read so many good things about it, OOOOOR should I go ahead and by the MS441? I HAVE A ms250 AND A 034 that is close to 20 years old now. Would the 441 and 20" bar be overkill for what I need, or would the 361 be plenty of saw? The biggest logs I cut are around 24" across. I am not a logger, but I just want a really good firewood saw. Thanks for the help, and thanks for all I have already learned.

WVhunter, If you have been cutting your wood with the 034 you
will be tickled to death with a 361. I have a 361 and a 460 both
the 460 and the 441 weigh about the same.
I only use a saw on week ends and I will be the first to ad mint
that I'm not man enough to cut with the
460 all day. Heck I may use the 200T on the small limbs then
to the 026 or 361 and then the 460 or 660. But if I had to do with
only one saw for felling & liming it would be the 361.
Just remember this is only my opinion. And you know what they say
about opinions :D

Good luck, Gary

TreeCo said:
They are both great Stihl pro quality saws and for the dollar are probably an equal value. If you really want to cut a lot faster than your 034 then get the 441.[/QUOTE]
You about made me faint:bowdown:

TreeCo said:
They are both great Stihl pro quality saws and for the dollar are probably an equal value. If you really want to cut a lot faster than your 034 then get the 441.

Wow Dan, almost spit my Sprite all over the computer!!!!!!!!

Awsome post!!! And very true.
Andy

TreeCo said:
They are both great Stihl pro quality saws and for the dollar are probably an equal value. If you really want to cut a lot faster than your 034 then get the 441.

Dan, you little bugger. You have been holding out on us all along. So how long have you owned it.:rock:

TreeCo said:

Hell...Tom will changing his undies over this post!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

rahtreelimbs said:
Hell...Tom will changing his undies over this post!!!:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:
Thats no lie.

WVhunter said:
Thanks guys for the replies. I will sleep on it. I am just trying to figure out which would be the best firewood saw.
\

Really either one. You're in a good spot in that either saw is a fine choice. I've got a 361 and a 440. They get equal run time in firewood.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

rahtreelimbs said:

Psssst.. Tom doesn't wear any... look closely at those videos.. :taped: :taped:

TreeCo said:
It's good of you to bring that up Rich. Just how heavy is that 441?:laugh:
:blob6:

One full kilo (2 1/4 lbs) heavier than the 361, and also slightly heavier than the 460...... :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :sword:

:angel:

Last edited:
Back