Which one to buy?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WVhunter said:
I guess I should have said 24" across, not diameter. .....
???? What's the difference????

:biggrinbounce2:

If your 034 is in good shape, I would take the 441, but I wouldn't want it as my only firewood saw.;)

SawTroll said:
If your 034 is in good shape, I would take the 441, but I wouldn't want it as my only firewood saw.;)

Exactly.

If the 034 has been enough saw and you just want an edge on power, go with the 361. If the 034 has fallen short in the past or if you want to speed the process up, 440/441/460 would be a good place to look.

I've always been a proponent of the three-saw plan for most personal saw users. This plan suggests that one's needs are best met with three saws - a small trim saw for little tasks that emphasizes small size and light weight (MS180, MS200, Echo 346); a mid-size 50cc-60cc saw on a light frame (MS260/361, Husqvarana 346/353/357/359, Dolmar 5100s); and a big 70cc+ saw for large wood. It looks like you've got a couple representatives of the 50cc class, so it might be time to look at the 70cc class next.

If you are routinely encountering 20"+ hardwood, I'd consider a 70cc+ saw as a good compliment to your current pair of saws.

SawTroll said:
???? What's the difference????

:biggrinbounce2:

Beat me to it - I was gonna suggest a refund from his geometry teacher...

TreeCo said:
I would go for the 460 but it wasn't an option.;)

"Da Prince" notwithstanding, I still don't understand why a person who is willing to haul around a 441 wouldn't go ahead and opt for a significantly more powerful saw that weighs the same. I know...blah, blah, blah.

litefoot said:
"Da Prince" notwithstanding, I still don't understand why a person who is willing to haul around a 441 wouldn't go ahead and opt for a significantly more powerful saw that weighs the same. I know...blah, blah, blah.

Dealer preference coupled w/ price. More power for same weight *often* costs more and someone may already have extended thier financial reach to the limit.

The cheaper alternatives may be at NON-stocking dealer if another dealer is even available. Seems like policy is moving towards hand-delivery of new saws which also limits options in many locations. Dolmar has no presence here - nearest Dolmar (25 miles away) hasn't a thing and tried to steer me towards Cub Cadet upon inquiry...:angry2:

Personally, I can't figure out why anyone would drive a Pontiac Aztec...:dizzy:

wagonwheeler said:
More power for same weight *often* costs more and someone may already have extended thier financial reach to the limit.
Point well-taken, but in this case, with the price increase of the 441, and given that either saw is a major purchase for anyone, the price difference (roughly $75 around here) is insignificant. In bigger saws 10% price increase for 10% more power is a pretty good bargain when you compare that to say the power/price rise from 460 to 660. Just sayin'...that's all.

Last edited:
litefoot said:
Point well-taken, but in this case, with the price increase of the 441, and given that either saw is a major purchase for anyone, the price difference (roughly $75 around here) is insignificant. In bigger saws 10% price increase for 10% more power is a pretty good bargain when you compare that to say the power/price rise from 460 to 660. Just sayin'...that's all.

Ah, the joy of incrementalism. The next step is always just a few dollars away, you say to yourself, so the next thing you know you've talked yourself into more saw than you ever intended!

Nothing wrong with that, of course!! *looks dowh, guiltily, at own signature line*

litefoot said:

I'm with ya'. It's how I wound up w/ a 361 when I was first lookin' at a 2hp saw... I'm not intimidated by price. :hmm3grin2orange:

Some folks say $x is IT ...and acutally mean it! :dizzy:

It also helps if you have a too big saw already...then you don't feel the need to get that extra *umph* for the occasions you may just need it since you already have it.

I mean I could actually be happy w/ a 372 and save the $$$ from moving up to a 441 or a 460. :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

(Oh, maybe I meant 440...)

Chaser

SawTroll said:
Actually I would take the 372xpg if it was an option, just for the record...:D :laugh: :laugh:

:rockn: :rockn: :ices_rofl:

SawTroll said:
Actually I would take the 372xpg if it was an option, just for the record...:D :laugh: :laugh:

:rockn: :rockn: :ices_rofl:

Doesn't sound like it's gonna be an option for you SawTroll...:deadhorse:

You WILL take the 372xpg, no?:bowdown:

(Hey Talon...got a 'good witch' smiley?)

Not sure what you meant by "across" and "diameter" as they are the same thing. Well, I suppose technically diameter would be through the center, but I think you mean the same thing.

In any case, what I use my saw for is about what you use yours for. I used an 034 for ten yr. and then went to an 036 Pro, which I've had five yr. and still use as my main saw. The 034 worked fine for me. The 036 works a bit better and does everything I ever need it to do. Probably would for you, too. That saw isn't made any more, but the MS361 is close enough to it for this discussion and you'd love it.

I would love to have a 441; however, as my 036 works great, I can't go with so much more money to get the 441. I can't think of a time when the 036 [361] didn't do the job. So, it depends on how much money you want to put into it...if you can handle the extra few hundred to get a 441, I'd be envious.

I run a 20" bar on my 036 with chisel chain. Yes, now and then I have to cut a tree from both sides, but out of the trees I cut in a year, maybe three of them require this other than right near the base. I have never run a longer bar than 20"; someone else here surely has and can tell you how well a 24" would do on that 361.

Last edited:
SteveH said:
I run a 20" bar on my 036 with chisel chain. Yes, now and then I have to cut a tree from both sides, but out of the trees I cut in a year, maybe three of them require this other than right near the base. I have never run a longer bar than 20"; someone else here surely has and can tell you how well a 24" would do on that 361.

Good post SteveH,

I bought a 24" bar for my 361 as a spare (for larger needs/backup if I pinch or bend the 18", etc...) I've got a loop of skip for it and a loop of full comp and bought an 8pin sprocket thinking it'd pick up some speed when running the skip. I just run whatever chain is sharper at the moment.

361 does great w/ 24" bar and skip and the cut time really doesn't show for the few cuts I've used it for w/ skip or full comp.

Anyway, a 361 w/ an 18/20 and 24 would be a great setup...I'm biased to the balance of the 18 over the 20.

Chaser

Okay guys sorry about the "diameter and across" comment I was unaware of all the High I.Q. math teachers on this forum!!!!!!LOL!!! Anyway a 24" log is a pretty healthy piece of firewood, sometimes I might cut bigger stuff, was the point I was trying to make. I just got back from my Stihl dealer and I bought the MS361, the 034 has always did me a good job and I believe the purchase I made with the 361 will be a good one also. He set me up with a camo hat,glasses, ear protection, six pack of mix, bar oil, one of the nice black hard cases, chaps, a set of files, 20" Duramatic E bar and x-tra chain for $710. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Thanks for all your replies.

wagonwheeler said:
And why, oh, why hasn't 'loverboy' Ultra :heart: :heart: gotten you an Avatar together by now?!?!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I cant let sawtroll know what I'm doing...:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

Last edited:
WVhunter said:
Okay guys sorry about the "diameter and across" comment I was unaware of all the High I.Q. math teachers on this forum!!!!!!LOL!!! Anyway a 24" log is a pretty healthy piece of firewood, sometimes I might cut bigger stuff, was the point I was trying to make. I just got back from my Stihl dealer and I bought the MS361, the 034 has always did me a good job and I believe the purchase I made with the 361 will be a good one also. He set me up with a camo hat,glasses, ear protection, six pack of mix, bar oil, one of the nice black hard cases, chaps, a set of files, 20" Duramatic E bar and x-tra chain for $710. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Thanks for all your replies.

You're doing it right. Congrats on the 361! :rockn: :rockn:

Back