Who treats their gas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat is the biggest enemy for fuel. I had 5 gallon jug that was over 2 years old stored in a shed next to a 250 gallon water tank that never gets over 75 degrees inside at our cabin and it still smelled fairly fresh and my mower ran great on it. At grandmas in fresno it gets over 105 in the summer I would drain the tank on my grandpas riding mower every two or three weeks because the fuel with stabilizer would go stale which made for lots of fun when the carburetor would plug and I have to pull it off to clean it (v-twin b&s have lots of parts around the carb). fuel came from the same station.

Don't most *** oils have a stabilizer added ? , i buy e-free gas so i never even thought of it..am i missin something ?
Fuel will still oxidize over time, but with Efree in a sealed metal container that could take years. Adding stabilizer to Efree fuel is unnecessary, but I added some just because.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Fuel will still oxidize over time, but with Efree in a sealed metal container that could take years. Adding stabilizer to Efree fuel is unnecessary, but I added some just because.

I dont think ive ever had gas mixed longer than 3 weeks in the no-spill cans so i dont think it applies to me ... good info here anyway.

My saws get strictly e free canned fuel. The chipper/shredder and log splitter get pump fuel (usually 87 octane with "up to 10% ethanol added") with Startron at slightly higher than manufacturer specified amount. Everything starts and runs great!

I have found that as long as I don't use anything with ethanol I don't have any fuel problems. So I do not use any additives.

Same here: NON ethanol and I've tried most all kinds of additives in stored equipment. Long term stored gasoline operated eq W/O being exercised is going to have problems.
Even non-ethanol gas goes bad stored long term.

AND if it's got tires on it or tets on it, it's eventually going to cause you some trouble.

startron only...my friend next town over,,that does full time lawnmower business,,has seen the effects of stabil..bout as bad as eth gas left setting toooo long in a small engine carb...NO more eth gas for me,,and I used it without effects for years,,,but the last three years has been hazardous!!! three cs carb rebuilds,,and one destroyed carb on a kohler 18...no more!!

Everything I have 2 cycle in my place: chainsaw, blower, edger, etc I use 91 E-free gas with Stihl Synthetic 2 cycle oil. 50 to 1, regardless what the manufacturer recommend.
Never have any problem with any of my toys for many years.
The synthetic oil is the best think they come out. I use in everything including my truck, car, mover, pressure washer, etc.

I run Efree fuel as well, but I still mix in a bit of Startron just because. I do not recommend any other product than Startron do to the fact most stabilizers are in fact alcohol based, Startron is petroleum based, with an organic enzyme.

Might I ask, where do you get your Efree fuel in Cinci?

89 octane e-free for me, with Stihl Ultra mix and marine Stabil. Because I don't really know what is in that gas pump. I also dump the fuel out of my saws and run them dry before I put them away for the day.

And yes, I am aware that Stihl Ultra has stabilizers added.

I use only 87 octane E10 from the closest station, mixed 40:1 with whatever decent rated oil I can find. If it gets a little old it's gets poured into the tractors or the Gravely - they'll burn anything.

Luckily no ethanol containing fuel in my area so far, for how much longer is questionable though.

All my gasoline powered equipment gets EuroSuper95 , unleaded.

My saws are on a Dolmar oil diet at 50:1, although they had a taste of Makita oil at 50:1 too as I ran out of Dolmar and couldn't restock (stupid distributers/dealers :mad: ).
I like both Dolmar and Makita oil and think my saws like it too.
And NO, the oils are not the same, there is quite a difference to them, but that is not the topic of this thread!
My weedwhackers get any 2-stroke oil I have at my disposal, even non brand stuff as I started running out of Dolmar oil, they are fed a 40:1 mix.

I don't treat the fuel I use, but I also mix only as much as I need at the given moment.
The pure gasoline itself is kept in the garage in a 20 Liter metal canister and I spend about two or three of those a Year (on both 2 & 4-stroke equipment).

I also don't drain the fuel out of any of my equipment, they are all stored partially fueled.

I try to start my saws and weedwhackers once a month, while the lawn mover has a winter sleep.

For my generator I use a thousand gallon propane tank. It never goes bad.
For my saws, tractor and stuff I use Av gas. The shelf life is at least nine years.

About 5 years ago I quit running my chainsaws carb out of gas for summer storage using stihl oil/gas mix.
The carbs have been doing ok ever since, easier to start at end of 6 mo's storage, etc.
I seen a ad that stihl oil/gas mix has built in additives and will leave a oil base in the carb's as the gas evaporates.
I use non-ethanol fuel in the small engines and mowers.
BUT recently I built some storage shelves inside a LOCKABLE 20 ft steel POD to store ALL my saws, leaf blowers. The pod gets very hot inside in the summertime.

I'm wondering if the high summertime heat inside (hot enough to bake bread) might not be a good thing for the 2 cycle equipment carbs or fuel systems?

About 5 years ago I quit running my chainsaws carb out of gas for summer storage using stihl oil/gas mix.
The carbs have been doing ok ever since, easier to start at end of 6 mo's storage, etc.
I seen a ad that stihl oil/gas mix has built in additives and will leave a oil base in the carb's as the gas evaporates.
I use non-ethanol fuel in the small engines and mowers.
BUT recently I built some storage shelves inside a LOCKABLE 20 ft steel POD to store ALL my saws, leaf blowers. The pod gets very hot inside in the summertime.

I'm wondering if the high summertime heat inside (hot enough to bake bread) might not be a good thing for the 2 cycle equipment carbs or fuel systems?
no, that's not good..as the higher end vapors,,if the vent is working, may start to vent out,,which will leave EXPLOSIVE vapors in that cabinet..........and ruin the fuel in the process.. even tho the oil will stay in the fuel,,which will then put a higher concentrate of oil to fuel ratio......

Back