Who will look at other brands of saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd consider Stihl, Husky, Jonsered and Makita/Dolmar. Then, I'd most likely buy the Husky...

reasons? First of all, there are no Dolmar dealers that I'm aware of within at least 50 miles. Same for Jonsered, although this is less of a factor as many parts on the newer ones seem to be interchangable with Huskies. Which leaves Husky and Stihl. I own and have used both a fair amount, I would consider buying another Stihl but Huskies tend to feel "right" to me. That being said, if I was ever to buy a BIG saw (+100c) I would go straight to the MS880!

cheers,
Joe

I wouldn't consider myself brand loyal, I like Stihl, Dolmar, Husqvarna, Johnny etc... I don't care what it is as long as it is worth the money they ask for it, for that, I side with Dolmar a bit more. Alot of bang for buck but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Husqvarna tomorrow.

Besides my sig I've a 40yr old craftsman basket case. But my Dad bought that.

Out of my 4 runners the two Efco's were flukes. I'm concerned with the other brands that make saws for the big box stores, no telling when the replacement parts for the Pro grade they sell will be a lower grade part.

So if a nice 120cc saw turns up for $100 bucks, or a Jonsered topper for $25 I'll buy it. But for full price I'll probably stick with Stihl.

Before I won my JD CS 62 (Efco) I almost bought a Makita from Baileys. I plan on living near Tupelo, MS. I asked Bailey's where I could get it repaired. They apparently looked online and found a listing for Tupelo. When I called up the shop they referred me to I was told that the shop DID NOT work on saws. So much for support.

sorry but echo only.. i don't need anything bigger in cc's then what echo makes. i have had very good luck with echo over the years.

So who here on the forum looks at all the options available and would openly admit they would buy a product other than their favorite manufacturer?

Not only would I but I have and do.
Stihls have been the most loyal to me by far and from what I have seen and heard from dealers that sell or sold both stihl and brand b, I am convinced their the 1 that comes back the least often for repairs. Most mine are old enough not to have flippy caps which I dislike but I am willing to put up with because it is a small issue when it comes to the purpose I own my chainsaws for. Xtra time and effort maintaining the air filters became a pleasure after a brand new brand b taught me what is really problems with chainsaws.
If the price is right and I find a reasonable purpose for a chainsaw I'd buy any but I will not replace my key chainsaws with them until they prove to me their worthyness to do what I intend. That means they have to prove to be a reliable unit and feel comfortable to fit me when working them.

If I came into a bunch of money, I would probably buy one of every pro model Stihl,Husky,Dolmar and anything else that is good out there.Imagine, being able to take your pick of any pro model saw to cut with that day. It would be a little like heaven. Endless variety.:biggrinbounce2:

When I looked for a now saw with some substance, I wanted a poulan or a homelite It did not take long to realize those brands did not exist in the fashion that I was used to. So I looked and looked finally settled on a stihl. I know that their are other saws out there but when I considered dealer suppport there was Dolmar and Stihl. with Husky being well out of the way. I don't have a preference but am happy with my Big bottomed overweight girl. doesn't weigh much more than the 3.3 Poulan/Craftsman I was used to and cuts WAY more wood for the same fuel and time.

Latest posts

Back