Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grizz55chev
I'm not anti gun, I'm pro common sense. I own guns, but I don't have one with me 24-7. You can carry all you want, ain't no ones business but yours, I didnt see a need for you to show everybody on a firewood post that you feel the need to have your weapon with you while cutting wood in your backyard. Maybe your neighbors aren't as nice as mine, I don't know. I am a little tired from cutting and bringing home a couple of loads of very nice ( and heavy ) pickup loads of green madrone. The first load was all off the butt that had to be ripped so we could load em. I get a little grouchy when I'm tired so don't take it personal, I'm better now that I've had a good nights rest and company's on the way for dinner. Let's get back to firewood and I hope your Easter is peaceful.

LittleLebowski

LittleLebowski

ArboristSite Guru
I'm not anti gun, I'm pro common sense. I own guns, but I don't have one with me 24-7. You can carry all you want, ain't no ones business but yours, I didnt see a need for you to show everybody on a firewood post that you feel the need to have your weapon with you while cutting wood in your backyard. Maybe your neighbors aren't as nice as mine, I don't know. I am a little tired from cutting and bringing home a couple of loads of very nice ( and heavy ) pickup loads of green madrone. The first load was all off the butt that had to be ripped so we could load em. I get a little grouchy when I'm tired so don't take it personal, I'm better now that I've had a good nights rest and company's on the way for dinner. Let's get back to firewood and I hope your Easter is peaceful.

As you can see in this very thread, folks were indeed interested in my carry gun and I'm chatting with them about it. From what I can tell, this is a progun site and I thought it was a cool picture. As far as my neighbors, many of them carry, we're all cool with it, and no one bats an eye at a gun in my conservative neighborhood, I shoot in my back forest a bit (suppressed only). Anyway, I don't carry because I'm afraid but because the right to defend oneself is important to me. Just because someone carries doesn't mean they're afraid. Also, I've been shot, didn't like it, not repeating it :D

Have a good Easter as well. I'm worn out from cutting and splitting too.

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
As you can see in this very thread, folks were indeed interested in my carry gun and I'm chatting with them about it. From what I can tell, this is a progun site and I thought it was a cool picture. As far as my neighbors, many of them carry, we're all cool with it, and no one bats an eye at a gun in my conservative neighborhood, I shoot in my back forest a bit (suppressed only). Anyway, I don't carry because I'm afraid but because the right to defend oneself is important to me. Just because someone carries doesn't mean they're afraid. Also, I've been shot, didn't like i, not repeating it :D

Have a good Easter as well. I'm worn out from cutting and splitting too.

I carry since jr high..of course back then it was just slings and rocks, gunpowder wasn't invented yet..

Saved my bacon half a dozen times now, mostly when in urban areas though, two legged predators.

jr27236

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, had kind of a tough afternoon with the 5020. Cut five 4-7" or so oaks down and it shut itself down a lot. Once I started cutting with the right side down, it ran noticeably better but still not well enough to make me think all is well. The new chain was installed but it's the same model as the old one. Is the rear handle supposed to be unattached at the forward top point where it goes into the body?

It did start running better when I moved onto more vertical cuts but I feel like it's not running well. I cleaned the bar well when installing the chain and I am sure I tensioned it properly. Air filter was clean and sealed. Ethanol free 40:1 fuel is what I use.

DAC0C141-B207-48B6-9F4E-D75B98E22353_zpskj2y0rlz.jpg

EE9E0B53-FACF-491B-8B09-7F1C0CC36E16_zpsdfep5d8l.jpg
I saw that you purchased a new chain and had good results, but what about it running? Did you ever retune or anything or did it clear up?
As for gas, lots say highest octane that way it has a better response and runs cooler (I don't know about the cooler part, but some people say it runs cooler because it uses less energy or something to fire the gas) ---have no idea what the hell I was just trying to say but sure someone will clear that part up...lol

As for the handle being separate at the top front....yes this is normal and part of the anti-vibe system, the engine is actually separate from the handles and attached only by Springs and rubber av mounts, that way all that vibration isnt transferring into your hands.

As for the firearms. I particularly don't like the feel of the glock grips (too square), but that AR.....wow, that's a nice one and a supressor.

LittleLebowski

LittleLebowski

ArboristSite Guru
I saw that you purchased a new chain and had good results, but what about it running? Did you ever retune or anything or did it clear up?
As for gas, lots say highest octane that way it has a better response and runs cooler (I don't know about the cooler part, but senna people say it runs cooler because it uses less energy or something to fire the gas) ---have no idea what the hell is was just trying to say but sure someone will clear that part up...lol

There was a problem with the nut behind the handle :D I thought that the saw was having issues starting but it turns out I was taking the manufacturer's instructions too literally. When the saw is warm, what works for me is giving it a pull or three at half choke and then one or two pulls with no choke starts her right up. Often, I don't need to follow the half choke pull procedure. The saw still shuts off easily after running in a deep cut and letting off but I believe that is OK, right? I know, I know, I gotta tune the carb, right?

As for the handle being separate at the top front....yes this is normal and part of the anti-vibe system, the engine is actually separate from the handles and attached only by Springs and rubber av mounts, that way all that vibration isnt transferring into your hands.

That makes sense and thank you for clarifying!

As for the firearms. I particularly don't like the feel of the glock grips (too square), but that AR.....wow, that's a nice one and a supressor.

The Gen4 Glocks have much smaller grips and you can modify the size of the grip between three different sizes. Please note that just because it "feels good" during dryfire or at the gunshop does not translate into "shooting better at the range." The target does not lie :D The AR is a Knights Armament SR-30 SBR 11.5" barrel with my Saker 7.62 suppressor on there.

jr27236

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
The saw still shuts off easily after running in a deep cut and letting off??
Do you mean your cutting at wide open throttle and when you back off the throttle it's stalling?

jr27236

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
You definitely have to retune the carb sounds like your low screw may need to be adjusted.
This is a video I found on YT. It's not a bad video at all and will give you the basics of what your looking to do. Hope it helps (don't anyone flame me if you don't agree, just a quick search provided it to me)

lambs

lambs

Stihl crazy after all these years
Cut down a little oak yesterday, the saw is running great except for the low idle dying thing. I'll attempt to tune it today now that my carb tools came in. You guys got my back on this tuning thing, right :D

I have just read this thread to catch up. There are many folks on here who can help you with tuning, but I'll just echo that it is normal for a saw to need a carb adjustment as it breaks in. I do not recall which way, richer or leaner after break in, but someone will jump in. I tend to go richer first, much better for the saw to be richer than too lean, and adjust from there. But there is a correct procedure, and someone will link you to it. The problem I always have is getting the saw to run on idle so I can tune the low screw, when the problem is the saw does not want to run on idle.

And I do not think anyone said it yet, but thank you for serving.

I expect there's a bunch of vets on this site, so thank you all for your service too.

LittleLebowski

LittleLebowski

ArboristSite Guru
And I do not think anyone said it yet, but thank you for serving.

I expect there's a bunch of vets on this site, so thank you all for your service too.

I appreciate it. I never expected thanks and still don't but I always appreciate sincere words like yours and really appreciate your technical advice as well.

jakethesnake

jakethesnake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Not to sound smart but tune that damn saw before you do harm to it Shame no one is super close to you from this site so they could show you only concern I'd have is if by chance it is lean if not likely never would matter .... I had a 346 that shut off on idle pain in the ass you'll like cutting more if it runs the way it's supposed to put the tool in your pocket next time out

jakethesnake

jakethesnake

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Run wide open unscrew h needle until the saw "stumbles" then screw it in till it runs clean. At idle unscrew low side until stumble then screw in a touch that'll leave you a tad rich on both ends then if the saw doesn't want to idle turn the idol screw till it does that's how I run my saws I cut more wood than some folks on this site I haven't rebuilt any of my saws yet just an opinion. let someone else chime in but that will work and leave you rich those needles are very sensitive good luck lebrowsko