30's to 40's CC saw for bucking and small stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would seriously consider the Dolmar 420. I Had to go to a shop today for some briggs and stratton parts and they are also a dolmar dealer. I saw the 420 sitting there on the shelf all shiny and new and figured I would check it out and see what all the fuss is about. Picked it up and WOW that thing is light! Almost wish I wouldn't of bought a new Stihl MS290 just last month. Was really REALLY hard to fight the CAD but I managed to do so. Anyways Those Dolmars are very light balance well in the hand and from what I hear have amazing torque for the size. And a good price.

If its to much like the 290 then it may be to much of a saw for what i want.

also as far as i know there are no Dolmars or husky dealers/service by me... i'm in New haven CT basically...
I tend to drift towards stihl b/c there is one a few miles form my abode.

There's a white top 44 Husky on ebay ( like new) that is the best small saw ever made IMHO. Fantastic saw!

I would argue that..... The Homelite Super EZ IMO best small saw ever. Light as a feather, lots of power, takes regular 3/8 chain, has decomp valve, and has manual override on the oiler.:rock:

Plus they can be picked up on Ebay for around $100.

There's a white top 44 Husky on ebay ( like new) that is the best small saw ever made IMHO. Fantastic saw!

Hey, chainsaw guys! I'm Cheevers' wife, if you don't know me already. I'm double-posting this, so sorry in advance. I stuck it on Newbies because "without pics it didn't happen," as you know, and I'd already been bragging about it up there. Well, supposedly there's been only two tankfuls gone through this 44/346OE P/C Husqvarna to date. It's ported. I think we did OK. He got it from Komatsuvarna and couldn't wait till I'd recovered from the "THAT" finger surgery I had Friday to bust it out of the box. Thing sounds good to me! I'll never be able to start it, though. You can see it's got super compression when Bobby goes to start it! Chipmunks have short, weak front paws. I'm down one front paw and this chippy has a a bad neck. I'll bring Cheeves along for muscle.

He's just got back from showing off "MY" saw to his buddies. I'm going to let him have it for the next week as I continue to recover. Another week till the stitches come out and THEN IT'S MINEZ!! The outer bandage is so dirty now, it looks like I've been cutting all weekend!

Anyway, here's the vid of Bobby letting me enjoy "my" new saw vicariously:
[video=facebook;3451160165113]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3451160165113[/video]

Last edited:
Hey, chainsaw guys! I'm Cheevers' wife, if you don't know me already. I'm double-posting this, so sorry in advance. I stuck it on Newbies because "without pics it didn't happen," as you know, and I'd already been bragging about it up there. Well, supposedly there's been only two tankfuls gone through this thing to date. It's ported. I think we did OK. He got it from Komatsuvarna and couldn't wait till I'd recovered from the "THAT" finger surgery I had Friday to bust it out of the box. Thing sounds good to me! I'll never be able to start it, though. You can see it's got super compression when Bobby goes to start it! Chipmunks have short, weak front paws. I'm down one front paw and this chippy has a a bad neck. I'll bring Cheeves along for muscle.

He's just got back from showing off "MY" saw to his buddies. I'm going to let him have it for the next week as I continue to recover. Another week till the stitches come out and THEN IT'S MINEZ!! The outer bandage is so dirty now, it looks like I've been cutting all weekend!

[video=facebook;3451160165113]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3451160165113[/video]
Wife didn't mention this is a 44 with an early 346 P/C, with the top machined down to fit. It's got 195 lbs of compression and has had only two tankfuls of gas thru it. Much thanks to Komatsuvarna and his great generosity and professionalism in the whole transaction. He's a great credit to AS!! Give him a Pro rep. He's built a great saw and made an old woodcutter very happy. Saw only took 4 days to get here! :msp_biggrin:

I would argue that..... The Homelite Super EZ IMO best small saw ever. Light as a feather, lots of power, takes regular 3/8 chain, has decomp valve, and has manual override on the oiler.:rock:

Plus they can be picked up on Ebay for around $100.

Best damn post on AS so far.

Hey, chainsaw guys! I'm Cheevers' wife, if you don't know me already. I'm double-posting this, so sorry in advance. I stuck it on Newbies because "without pics it didn't happen," as you know, and I'd already been bragging about it up there. Well, supposedly there's been only two tankfuls gone through this thing to date. It's ported. I think we did OK. He got it from Komatsuvarna and couldn't wait till I'd recovered from the "THAT" finger surgery I had Friday to bust it out of the box. Thing sounds good to me! I'll never be able to start it, though. You can see it's got super compression when Bobby goes to start it! Chipmunks have short, weak front paws. I'm down one front paw and this chippy has a a bad neck. I'll bring Cheeves along for muscle.

Looking good! Watch out, he's gonna use up all your practice wood!

You say you have the MS290. A good match for that would be the MS211. I have a MS270 & MS211. But if you want to go a little lighter, I'd go to the MS170. It has 2 Guide Bar Bolts, so it can take some abuse, i.e. buckinlg from the bottom up as well as down. My Dealer says he's been getting lots of work on those with only (1) bolt holding the bar, because they put too much pressure on the top of the bar.
small-saws-only-picture205106.jpg

Looking good! Watch out, he's gonna use up all your practice wood!

Oh, he'll have us in wood till 2014, the way he's been goin' this winter...plus not burning any. We got some stackin' to do first, right Bobby??!!:laugh:

ms180

the stihl ms180 is an excellent small saw ive had mine for 4 months now, and i have so far cut 4 cords of firewood in the 10-16 inch range. my 180 has a 16 inch bar and pulls it just fine. it complements my ms290 perfectly. i payed $197 new with the 6 pack of oil and an extra chain.

if i do go new it would probably be the 170 or 211 i dont like the chain tensioner on the 180's.
211 maybe a little heavy for what i'm thinking but it did feel pretty good.
The husky44 and ms 210 are looking good though. Decisions decisions....

It doesn't get much love around here, probably bc of its funky look, but a Husky 339 is a dynamite small saw. It is lighter and stronger than a 200, 211, or 401. It is an absolute hoot to run in <8-10" hardwoods and feels like a toy in your hand (very well made) when limbing.

It doesn't get much love around here, probably bc of its funky look, but a Husky 339 is a dynamite small saw. It is lighter and stronger than a 200, 211, or 401. It is an absolute hoot to run in <8-10" hardwoods and feels like a toy in your hand (very well made) when limbing.

--I had never seen one so went and took a look. Ya, sorta odd looking, but still acceptable. As to performance, one would certainly expect performance for a MSRP of 500 clameroonis!

There's one on the bay now, a dealer demo with full warranty for less than that though.

if i do go new it would probably be the 170 or 211 i dont like the chain tensioner on the 180's.
211 maybe a little heavy for what i'm thinking but it did feel pretty good.
The husky44 and ms 210 are looking good though. Decisions decisions....

I seem to remember having Husky white top 44 a couple of years ago and piston/cylinders were impossible to find for it ? Also the weight was about the same as my Husky 50/

So i rebuilding an old Olympyk 234 (34 CC's)... While i'm waiting for parts etc. I was wondering what stihl would be comparable. I may pick one up if this olympyk becomes a pain in the A$$. looked at the 211 the 250 the 171 and 181. Any thoughts?
i would use the saw to cut fire wood and mostly buck trees i've taken down. i have a 290 that does any bigger stuff but want ( dare i say need) something smaller.

Sweet... when are you gonna have Dart...err... Arrowhead port, pop up, and muff mod that thing? :blob2::blob2::blob2: I love watching videos of the modded WT's screaming their way through logs... who knew a WT could be so good? I didn't, until I saw one of the vids... :rock:

I've been taken with the 44 'cuz it's new to us. Weight-wise, it isn't so heavy to me. Now that I'm over the initial thrill, I'm thinking you oughta keep an open mind to the Wild Thing, too. Its profile is a carbon copy of the Husqvarna, and I guess many of the parts are interchangeable now. Mine's barely broken in, but it's been perfect for limbing and bucking the small stuff so far. There are a few of us WT enthusiasts around here. :msp_wub: (Oh, I hope I make it to next Monday. That's when my stitches are supposed to come out.)

checked this out... a little out of my price range from the searches i have done.
Looks alot like the olympyk i've working on... not to crazy.

I have a Poulan 25 CVA that I bought for $5 last year. New fuel line and carb kit, and its a great little saw. I bet they can easily be found for $30-50.

Jim

Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

I have a Poulan 25 CVA that I bought for $5 last year. New fuel line and carb kit, and its a great little saw. I bet they can easily be found for $30-50.

Jim

Sent from my HTC EVO via Tapatalk

I've seen some of those on the bay. Never actually handled one. I assume they are similar to the homelite xl2's?

Back