91 octane OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtboy

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
No pro saws here, just running a Jred 2255, Echo CS520 and a couple of smaller limbers. Have been using 87 octane with 10% ethanol and stabilizer for years with good luck. Found a gas station that's now offering 91 octane, ethanol free gas. Is that to much octane for these saws? Don't mind spending the extra $ for the 91 as long as it don't bother the saws. Thanks.

You really shouldn't have been using 87. It works on stock saws but if the load of gas quality suffers (octane a little low) you can damage a piston and cylinder due to detonation. Most manufactures recommend 89 as a hedge of sufficient octane. Using higher than recommended octane gasoline will never hurt your engine! You may need to adjust your carb needles slightly changing fuels.

I wish I could get ethanol free gas around here.

It looks like you're sort of in the middle of nowhere when it comes to finding E-Free gas.

See the attached link for a pretty good source I use. Maybe if you find yourself on the way somewhere, you might stash a tank or two to carry along and get some of the good stuff along the way...

http://pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

Yeah, it can be hard to find. The nearest I can find is 25 miles one way. I fill 3 two gallon cans each trip. Luckily I go to that town about every week.

Found a Sunoco station less than 10 miles from me on the pure gas site. I stopped in the other day to see if it was real or not, well it was. They had 98,101 and 116 E free. It is in a 5 gallon steel pail labeled racing fuel. So I asked the question how much for the pail.....$75. $15 a gallon?? Is it really worth it?

Found a Sunoco station less than 10 miles from me on the pure gas site. I stopped in the other day to see if it was real or not, well it was. They had 98,101 and 116 E free. It is in a 5 gallon steel pail labeled racing fuel. So I asked the question how much for the pail.....$75. $15 a gallon?? Is it really worth it?

It sure wouldn't be for me, but I'm generally a rather frugal individual...

I get 91 octane E-Free dispensed from a standard pump for a dime more a gallon than regular unleaded E-crap about 5 miles from my house. There's another station about 10 miles the other direction where I can get the same. Just lucky, I guess?

Ethanol-free, 89-93 octane, pump dispensed gasoline is as good as as you can do for small two-cycle engines these days, with 91 being about as perfect as it gets (I'm not talkin' 'bout high-performance, modified engines). A higher octane is not needed, will reduce performance slightly, and is usually more expensive... octane ratings higher than 93 are actually a waste (unless that's all you can get E-free). Octane ratings lower than 89 will usually reduce performance in most small two-cycle engines (and so will ethanol at any octane rating)... and lower octane has the potential to cause damage in a variety of ways. Ethanol, compared to gasoline, is lower in energy and higher in octane... it really is horrible motor fuel, especially in small engines, even at a 10% blend.

Octane has nothing to do with the energy content of the fuel, a gallon of gas contains the same mount of energy no matter the rating... it's simply the way a fuel's resistance to ignition is rated. (A 10% ethanol blend has less energy than straight gas.) A low octane rating will (sort'a) advance ignition timing slightly, a high octane rating will retard it slightly... the trick is to match the octane rating to the performance level of the engine. Normally an engine can efficiently use a small range of octane ratings (in this case, approximately 89-93) by making small adjustments to timing and/or fuel delivery rate (carb adjustments).

Oh... I use ethanol-free, 91 octane, pump dispensed gasoline in all the two-cycles (except the low-RPM 250cc 1974 Harley golf cart), and ethanol-free, 87 octane, pump dispensed gasoline in all the four-cycles (and golf cart). I do not buy ethanol-blended fuel for anything... ever... period.

That's what my Stihl dealer told me to run...nothing less than 91 octane. I run 91 in everything 2-cycle. I run 87 in everything else.

What is interesting however, is that the amount of alcohol varies GREATLY from station to station. I have the ability to read the alcohol content from the on-board sensor in my truck (FlexFuel) via an Edge Insight. I have found the lower tier stations typically have LESS alcohol than the chains and big names, for what ever reason. In my travel, I basically found the station that runs the lowest alcohol and run that...I have not had any issues to date.

As I indicated previously, the alcohol content varies greatly...keep in mind that while E10 is the current blend, I've seen content pushing 25% (E25). My guess is that the tanker had a load of E85 and then hauled E10. Tell me that's good for your car...let alone OPE.

...while E10 is the current blend, I've seen content pushing 25% (E25). My guess is that the tanker had a load of E85 and then hauled E10.

More likely a phase separation issue in the underground storage tank at the gas station... I've personally seen pump gas test as high as 35%.
I'm not even sure E85 can be hauled in the same "tankers" as E10 or straight gas (I'm thinkin' not).
Phase separation is a huge problem with ethanol blends... a lot bigger problem, and a lot more common, than what the industry and government are telling you.
I do not buy ethanol-blended fuel for anything... ever... period.

As I indicated previously, the alcohol content varies greatly...keep in mind that while E10 is the current blend, I've seen content pushing 25% (E25). My guess is that the tanker had a load of E85 and then hauled E10. Tell me that's good for your car...let alone OPE.
Not sure about your state but in Tennessee, that is a violation of weights and measures regulations. You should report it to your State Weights and Measures department. That gas should be pulled off the market.

That's what my Stihl dealer told me to run...nothing less than 91 octane. I run 91 in everything 2-cycle. I run 87 in everything else.

What is interesting however, is that the amount of alcohol varies GREATLY from station to station. I have the ability to read the alcohol content from the on-board sensor in my truck (FlexFuel) via an Edge Insight. I have found the lower tier stations typically have LESS alcohol than the chains and big names, for what ever reason. In my travel, I basically found the station that runs the lowest alcohol and run that...I have not had any issues to date.

That's very interesting. I think this helps explain why some guys here report no issues with e10, but others have had a lot of problems, it is just a crapshoot out there station to station. So you really can't make a declarative statement saying e10 is OK to run, because it could be, like you found, up to e25. That is why I always say, try to find e-free gas. I simply don't trust pump gas labelled e10 and haven't since I had issues some years back. Now I have found local non ethanol contaminated and haven't had fuel related problems since then.

Latest posts

Back