91 octane OK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know any that occur after TDC. If tuned properly, peak cylinder pressure should occur at about 14* ATDC.

There were a few... a few odd-balls.
The one that comes immediately to mind is the 1600 engine used by Volkswagen during the '70's... ignition timing was set at 5° ATDC with the engine running at (I believe) 850 RPM's and the vacuum advance hose connected. There were a few others but I'm drawing a blank for some reason... seems like there was a Ford industrial 6-cylinder, but I may be all wet on that.

Darn good post on pre-ignition and detonation Marshy.

There were a few... a few odd-balls.
The one that comes immediately to mind is the 1600 engine used by Volkswagen during the '70's... ignition timing was set at 5° ATDC with the engine running at (I believe) 850 RPM's and the vacuum advance hose connected. There were a few others but I'm drawing a blank for some reason... seems like there was a Ford industrial 6-cylinder, but I may be all wet on that.

Darn good post on pre-ignition and detonation Marshy.

Built Volks motors. Worst were the A-holes who took the cooling shrouds off to "make them run cooler'. Then the ones who let the encrusted gunk from oil leaks clog the cooling fins/oil cooler. They leaked as bad as Harleys, some you could track down the highway by oil spew.

The distributors that had the push/pull vac/centrifiugal advance were also a POS. The 041 mechanical advance is all I would trust/build with.

91 octane is fine for almost all saws unless running REally high compression. BUT, I WON'T run 91 octane with ETHANOL, never ever never. Maybe if I was a logger or tree service that used EVERY BIT of mix each week. Even then I'd be worried about the source, storage, and age of E10

Well we just had a Hy-Vee open up the other day. They have ethanol free 91. That makes me happy. That way when i get my 361 back from the monkey I can feed her good fuel.

I run 110 octane VP race gas in my saws. I can get it at a small airport about 20 miles from my house. You can get 95 octane non-ethanol gas just a stone throw over the river from me in New Brunswick, Canada. Their high octane over their is non-ethanol while the regular gas has ethanol. I get my VP 110 octane for about $8 per gallon.

Latest posts

Back