Arboristsite Saw Review Protocol/Use Disclosure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trouble is, when every other post is a 'what saw should I buy' the people that know about those saws stop answering the same question......and the ones left answering are in need of 'qualifications'

Precisely. It's not the question itself being scrutinized here, but the quality/validity of the response(s) on certain occasions.

As mentioned earlier, spend a little time here and you find out fairly quickly who knows what and how they came about their knowledge. I always consider the source.

And if the search function was worth two cents on this site, there'd be a bit less redundancy in the "same questions over and over" situation as well. Wouldn't eliminate the issue by any means, but would help. Can't blame the newbies, there.

The above conveyed, I will admit that sometimes it's difficult to ignore blatant idiocy by someone proclaiming to represent whatever issue who obviously doesn't have the facts even remotely close to being in the ballpark of reality. Someone usually steps in and sets things straight by one method or another -- usually tactfully. On the other hand, sometimes ya need to whack someone upside the head with a big stick to set em straight. And on yet another hand, sometimes there just ain 't a big enuff stick, so why bother?

Ok. I'll go now.

Poge

Last edited:
Blatant Saw Idiot

Blatant idiocy accepted....info is info.......:angrysoapbox::D

Besides, what I say about you may or may not truly reflect on you but it always reflects on me.:yourock:

Oh yeah, what saw should I buy?:stupid:

It's all wood. I'm hoping to surprise my husband with a Husky 450, maybe. He's very difficult to surprise so I'm not asking him questions.
So I'm out here getting an education in social media and Stihl thinking about the Husky. :sucks: But I like it anyway.

This thread's the most articulate, elegant discussion I've seen on chain saws....hands down. But I'm Stihl seeking chain saw enlightenment.:msp_wink:

Besides, I'm recovering from surgery so I have lots of time for idiocy now, which I won't in a week or so. So pour it on thick.....:cheers:

N :newbie:

Precisely. It's not the question itself being scrutinized here, but the quality

If you need to know the weight and handling differences between the heated and non-heated handles models, I know your man.

Hot Handles

Is that like heated car seats?:dizzy:

So what are the handling differences?

If you need to know the weight and handling differences between the heated and non-heated handles models, I know your man.

Way to go Mike on opening up a great topic. It needs to be addressed, but an open forum is just that: open. There are so many people here now, from such a wide cross section of "personalities", that there will always be a number of them talking out of their bunghole. Unfortunately, that number seems to have grown to the point that there are an awful lot of people on here who really don't know what they're talking about. But of course they keep talking.

Some of the best advice, (can't remember from who at the moment), was that if you spend some time here, you'll get a pretty clear idea of who knows what they are talking about.

As far as covering the same topics that have been covered before, we should never object to new members asking the same old questions. Keep in mind that re-visiting an old topic allows the new folks to participate in the discussion, rather than just read the stuff we wrote a year or two ago. Isn't that what this site is supposed to be about?

But Mike's original point should be considered before posting about a saw that you have almost no experience with. Do you really know enough about a particular saw to be offering advice? A great many opinions are brand slanted, both in a positive and negative way. It's comical how many times someone will actually write, "I've never run one, but I know......" I mean come on, isn't that silly?

One more thing that kind of drives me nuts is the "Ya gotta have a pro saw" cheerleaders. Guys, you are doing a dis-service to many of the new members who can be perfectly satisfied with a non-pro saw that will last them many years cutting way more wood than you give them credit for. Most people are not saw geeks like we are, they just need to cut some firewood to save money on their heating bill. So many times, even after the OP lays out their criteria for a saw purchase in both budget and brand preference, it doesn't go a page without guys walking them up the price ladder, or a "ya otta try my favorite brand" suggestion. Granted, there are times when the OP's question is unanswerable in it's original form. But if you want to be helpful, try reading the OP's question and giving them an answer related to the context in which it was asked.

I agree with the intent of the OP's post. I disagree that it is always the Stihl guys. The 441 bashing is no more offending than the constant bashing of any Stihl by our resident paper expert, take the 261 for example, the repeated bashing of this saw because one is a cheerleader for the 346 is ridiculous, especially when the guy has never run one. It's pathetic imho. Both the 346 and 261 are great saws. I continue to congratulate people who buy the 346 on buying a great saw, because it is. I just happen to own both the 261 and 346 and for my particular use I like the 261 better. Just because I do is no reason to bash the 346, there is no reason to when it to is a great saw. It's just like the speculative post on the performance of the 560 by people who just read the paper specs, I take Spikes comments as being solid, because he has run one and actually know how the saw performs. Even though he is a Husky dealer, I take his word as being solid, he doesn't bash other saws based on paper specs, his post are always objective.

There are more good saws on the market than bad saws. If the truth were known there are many on this site that could get by with no more than a 290/1 Stihl or 455-460 Husky for cutting all their wood needs.
For years I got by with a old hand me down XL-925 and Super EZ, when we got our first new 028 and 032 I thought I was in heaven. For a 16-17 year old cutting firewood for college money it was all I needed and then some. To be honest I imagine my old 028 has cut more wood than all my other saws combined, after 30+ years of being used hard it just shows a "farm/home owner" saw can hold up to cutting hundreds of cords.

I honestly think that is why the 346xp has so many cheerleaders, for most on this site, it is all the saw they need. I think a lot of the guys on here run the 70cc + saws because they are enthusiast, they like to run saws, big saws, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm an old fart, I can say with all honesty I don't enjoy running the big saws all day anymore. When we are firing up for wood season here in a couple of months, running saws for 6-8 hours a day it gets old fast. I think it is different when you are just doing it for yourself, and when you have to do it because you have customers wanting the wood and knowing they will be calling non-stop from Oct 1, to late Feb. I honestly try to get by with the smallest size saw possible anymore for the task at hand.

Having an expert opinion is no different than telling a noob they need a 70cc saw to cut firewood or the guy who repeatedly tells others they need 32-36" bars regardless of where they live. Hell, I wouldn't know what to do with a 36" bar 99% of the time in my area.

I think every one, myself included could stop and think a little harder about what advice they give others. I for one wish I had more expierence with the newer Dolmar's like the 7900/6410's etc, there just isn't any of them around.

I appreciate the OP bringing the topic up. I'll try to be more objective.

As far as the 441, I've had the pleasure of using one for a couple of days, loaned to me by a friend when I was trying to make my mind up between a 460 and 441. There is nothing wrong with the way the 441 performed imho, it performed great. I just didn't care for the over all feel of the saw. At the time I didn't realize you could get stiffer springs for the suspension. For me it didn't seem like it balanced as well as my old 044. I'm not vibration sensitive, if I was the 441 might have been the ticket.

Other than ST's dislike for the 261, he is largely unbiased in regards to saws other than the pro vs. non-pro discussion. But it is not debatable that there are far more Stihl cheerleaders than for the other brands put together. And they seem to be a most intransigent lot. What I do notice is that typically the longer a member stays around the broader their appreciation is for all brands becomes. But the number of so-called pro-users who loathe any brand other than Stihl is way out of proportion to their representation here.
I loves saws: big saws: little saws: cream saws: orange saws; it doesn't matter. I appreciate light weight and power, and reliability and parts, and price. Some saws excell in one or two of these criteria, but there are few that meet three or four. That doesn't mean that lesser saws aren't good, but the more the sawyer uses them, the more important these virtues become, especially here. As the sawyer gains experience, the increased recognition of the merits of other brands should follow. For the average homeowner and woodlot owner, a good mid-grade saw from any of the major manufacturers should suffice. And if they just go to their dealer and drop their money there they will be satisfied for life. But many of those that carelessly wander into this site are doomed to a life of seeking the next " best" saws. And I like many others, came here with the CreamSickle blinders lowered. Thankfully, I have had my eyes opened and I just like saws, period. Sure, I have my preferences, but I can respect the choices of others. I do enjoy the occasional barb and joust, but thats just good locker room banter. But some here really need to lighten up with the fan-boy talk.

On a serious note ...

1) Relying solely on the advice from this forum for a saw purchase is a) risky, b) stupid, c) ill-advised, or d) einsteinian. You make the call.
2) Giving saw purchase advice to other members is akin to a) giving an alcoholic a season pass to the Busch Brewery, b) having Stihl Sawings login take him directly to the WTF forum, c) hanging a velvet Elvis print in front of TW Perry's little saw shop, or d) sending a Bailey's catalog to the members. What's your take?

Proceed with caution my friends ...... I remain, joat

To Swamp Yankee, Joat, etc...

I agree with your cautionary statements, and the fact that any and all advice on the internet should be taken with a grain (and perhaps much more) of salt.

I also dont mean to suggest that everything we write on the forum should be ready to be published in an encyclopaedia.

But I do think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard of objective posts that communicate experience and knowledge rather than just some mantra that has become the norm.

Meanwhile, back in Rome

Caveat emptor

To Swamp Yankee, Joat, etc...

I agree with your cautionary statements, and the fact that any and all advice on the internet should be taken with a grain (and perhaps much more) of salt.

I also dont mean to suggest that everything we write on the forum should be ready to be published in an encyclopaedia.

But I do think we should hold ourselves to a higher standard of objective posts that communicate experience and knowledge rather than just some mantra that has become the norm.

Especially the part about the pro vs non pro saw purchases!!!

Yup, that #### pisses me off. Will I ever buy a husky 350? No. Is my old man's 350 the perfect saw for him? Yup. Thank God he didn't find this site. He probably would have ended up with a 3120, lol.

One more thing that kind of drives me nuts is the "Ya gotta have a pro saw" cheerleaders. Guys, you are doing a dis-service to many of the new members who can be perfectly satisfied with a non-pro saw that will last them many years cutting way more wood than you give them credit for. Most people are not saw geeks like we are, they just need to cut some firewood to save money on their heating bill. So many times, even after the OP lays out their criteria for a saw purchase in both budget and brand preference, it doesn't go a page without guys walking them up the price ladder, or a "ya otta try my favorite brand" suggestion. Granted, there are times when the OP's question is unanswerable in it's original form. But if you want to be helpful, try reading the OP's question and giving them an answer related to the context in which it was asked.

Amen

If the OP says the budget is $XXX, then replies should target that price point. As hard as it may be to believe for many of us, there was a market for the "Wild Thing".

I don't know of anyone serious about buying a vehicle that appreciates walking into the dealer stating their price point is $20K and being shown only the $35K to $40K offerings.

Heck I wouldn't want to run my firewood business with a Tacoma, but if I was only moving a couple cord for personal use it would certainly get me there.

Take Care

what we could probably do is build a sticky describing current models and how they compare. Break it down by displacement, brand, mag case/clam, strato/conventional, antivibe type etc and put it in a little chart. Fill it with Niko's weight specs etc. Then folks can add their personal experiences on the saws they have run. I would like it to be moderated; as in all the clutter posts deleted

Latest posts

Back