Are there too many Sticky threads in the Chainsaw forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are there too many "sticky" threads in the Chainsaw forum

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted yes since I find scrolling down 2/3 of the page to be annoying. If the user could minimize the annoying advertising banner that would be an improvement too. Not sure the sponsors would be happy about that one. While we're at it threads older than 6 months should be closed. Many times someone will post to a thread where the existing information is already obsolete. They could just start a new thread if that wanted to acquire new information on an old topic. My 2 cents. ;)

If your using google chrome or mozilla you can get a attachment tool called ad-block, it allows you to remove the ads you don't want to see. I used it to block all the top banner ads and it makes for a nicer browser experience.

I see a lot of members voted, without posting, but I guess that is normal - but then we don't know why they voted as they did - but so what! :popcorn::biggrinbounce2::laugh::laugh:

Don't mistake me, my reason for the thread was serious enough - but then I don't take myself that seriously! :givebeer:

The number of stickies doesn't matter to me in the least. Whenever I log on I go the the 'new posts' tab and scan through them all to see what catches my interest. A sticky only shows if it's been posted to.

Yes, but the whole point is, is that allot of these guy here, myself included only come to the Chainsaw forum, and they are always at the top taking up half your screen.

Maybe there could be a subforum in Chainsaw, or one sticky thread at the top, and in that thread there would be a link to every sticky.

I believe the main problem is that the newbies that really need (some of) the stickys are the ones that never notise them, and a lot of links are outdated! :givebeer:

we need a poll so i know which ones to unstick

Just thought of that - the ones that really deserve the status is the "Lakeside" one and the "Beg for manuals" one - all others can float according to posting in them! :)

Too many links are outdated in the "Reference" one, or I would have preferred to keep that one as well.

Last edited:
I've got an idea,

We could put the links to the stickies that we don't need in the chainsaw FAQ sticky,

I stick Brand threads because it gets old seeing someone posting about a saw that has its own brand thread.

I feel there are a few too many, But i also know to scroll down to the active threads. The stickys hopefully help the new members to find information without starting another thread of the same every so often. Doesn't bother me too much but there are a few that could be taken off, Like the brand threads. I guess if i owned any of those brands i would want them as a sticky though.I voted yes.

but if someone needed info on a saw what better place to post it than a thread focused on that brand:)

The brands that most new members ask about isn't there, just some old US brands that haven't made a decent saw in a long time, and never will again! :greenchainsaw:

Their better saws are collectors items, and questions will usually be answered anyway - without a "sticky", as there are lots of interested collectors on here.

Actually, Sticky Husky, Jonsered and Stihl threads would make more sence, but no-one would even consider asking for that!

Last edited:
Just thought of that - the ones that really deserve the status is the "Lakeside" one and the "Beg for manuals" one - all others can float according to posting in them! :)
Lakeside's "how to" threads were awesome, but why single out his muffler mod thread to be a sticky ? If we are going to be that way, why not sticky Lake's 066 oil pump thread(s), too ? For that matter, perhaps we should sticky everything Lake ever posted ? :laugh:

IMHO, that's what search is for.

"Beg for Manuals" and upcoming GTG's. Let the rest float.

Wow - it's been over a month since I started a thread to find out how to complain about the stickies!
Is there some place on arboristsite to complain about the sticky threads?

There's now a full dozen here, and it is starting to take up a lot of screen real estate.

Maybe complaining about stickies WILL become a sticky!

I don't understand, and as I posted before:
I understand the ads - site revenue
I understand the need for a couple of "look here first" stickies.

Who decides to make it a sticky?

Why don't the sub forums (Chain sharpening, GTG, Saw Building) show up more easily? Three of the stickies should belong down there.

Three stickies for what I consider second tier saws. Why not a subforum for name brands?

That would take care of 6 stickies immediately.

I agree with real estate comments. I prefer reading the forums on a 24" monitor in portrait mode. But right now I'm laid up with a back injury and have to surf on a 10" netbook.

But my OP was - is there a place to complain about this?

and
Maybe there could be a subforum in Chainsaw, or one sticky thread at the top, and in that thread there would be a link to every sticky.
It seems noone knows about or visits the super secret subforums, such as chain sharpening.

But it's up to the site admins and mods to regulate.

And as far as the ads taking up space:
If your using google chrome or mozilla you can get a attachment tool called ad-block, it allows you to remove the ads you don't want to see. I used it to block all the top banner ads and it makes for a nicer browser experience.

Is that legal?

Back