are you freaking serious

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o8f150

Tree Freak
Reaction score
i have a few saws that i am selling locally,, a guy called me earlier and asked if i had a BIG saw,, he said that they have a 48 dia red oak on the ground that they needed to buck up,, he told me that they already burnt up 2 saws,, red flag of course,, i told him i had a huskie 288xp i would let go and the price was 400,, well the next question from him was if i would rent him the saw,, well you all know the answer to that,, nope,, that won't happen,, i don't rent out my equipment,,, then he asked if i would warranty the saw,, well the answer to him on that is that i will not warranty it for the reason that i have no control of what is put in it after it leaves, i told him to come out and run it in some logs that i have and decide from there,, more then likely he was hoping i would sell him the saw for 200, they cut up the tree if they don't smoke the saw first and bring it back to get his money back,,,, sorry,,, that just won't happen,,,, if he wants the saw,, i will pull the muffler so he can check out the p/c and then let him run it for a while,, i will work with anyone on a saw but i am not going to get stuck,,,,now the question,, was i wrong in handling it that way??

I don't think you were wrong . The man sounds like he violates chainsaws !

And I'm guessing your next in line....:chainsawguy:

As long as you were polite (which of course I assume) how could you have been wrong? It's your saw, you set the terms and you are under no obligation to meet such requests. He is free to decide not to buy it.

Sounds like you were in line, after all it's your saw, I just always try to treat people with respect. Did you ask him how he burned up the 2 saws? I would have had to ask to see what he blamed it on.

trust me i was real nice about it,, we was joking around about it,,and he started that because it wasn't his saws that did the melt downs,, the way i under stood it the 2nd saw they burnt up was a good size saw with a 25" b/c,,, i just hate the idea that i might have been rude about it,, but i do agree with you guys, its my saw, i completely rebuilt this saw which cost a bunch and if he wants he can try it out here with no obligation to buy

Think about this for a minute 2 saws burned up ? Have you ever burnt up two saws, I haven't burnt one.

How do you burn up a saw exactly ......:msp_thumbdn:

warranty??

That's the way I handle all sales NOW. I bought back a saw (066) the guy I sold it to didn't have it 2 days when it burnt it up. ( He used 70:1 mix while ripping red oak on a new P&C. Took the advice of a Saw shop and used Opti ll)
All my saws are pressure and vac checked before they leave and anything that needs replaced gets replaced.
2stroker

Think about this for a minute 2 saws burned up ? Have you ever burnt up two saws, I haven't burnt one.

I've never done it either but I'm going to say straight gas, WOT and putting a heavy load on it.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Have you guys done that ?

Why would you we all know better. Listen to the saw work, watch the noodles, get the right gas and oil mixture.

Someone that doesn't know much here just turned precious metal into junk.

what i forgot to say was when they where cutting with the 2nd saw it just all of a sudden stopped and he couldn't pull the rope to restart it,,if that isn't seized i don't know what is:laugh::laugh:

It sounds like you handled it perfectly, my bet is they were trying to force feed dull chains.

I'd call him back and see if you can buy the burnt up saws

OP, you like running your saws, right? I would offer to either sell him the saw with no warranty or go and cut up the tree for a going rate. If this is a one time deal, they may not need the saw, just need the job done. And after they see you cut all that wood, then maybe they want to buy the saw anyway.

There is no reason that a saw should burn up if it is getting used correctly. A Wild Thing would cut that tree up. Sure it would take a LONG time but it can be done by sectioning it and noodling off the parts so that the saw can get deeper in.

Sounds like your saw would likely suffer the same fate. How many on this site have seen someone cutting with a chain so dull it is literally smoking in the cut? Doesn't matter how big the saw is, if you are making furrows in the ground at the bottom of every cut, you're well on the way to giving a saw the meltdown. There are people out there that have never sharpened the "blade" on their saw and I guess they think it is like a circular saw blade or something.

You did the right thing. If it was me, I would call them back and offer to buck the tree for a fee. (and get a look at the smoked saws, they may have some value to you)

I would have told him to pound sand.

Not even worth the hassle talking to the guy since you know how it's going to play out.

OP, you like running your saws, right? I would offer to either sell him the saw with no warranty or go and cut up the tree for a going rate. If this is a one time deal, they may not need the saw, just need the job done. And after they see you cut all that wood, then maybe they want to buy the saw anyway.

There is no reason that a saw should burn up if it is getting used correctly. A Wild Thing would cut that tree up. Sure it would take a LONG time but it can be done by sectioning it and noodling off the parts so that the saw can get deeper in.

Sounds like your saw would likely suffer the same fate. How many on this site have seen someone cutting with a chain so dull it is literally smoking in the cut? Doesn't matter how big the saw is, if you are making furrows in the ground at the bottom of every cut, you're well on the way to giving a saw the meltdown. There are people out there that have never sharpened the "blade" on their saw and I guess they think it is like a circular saw blade or something.

You did the right thing. If it was me, I would call them back and offer to buck the tree for a fee. (and get a look at the smoked saws, they may have some value to you)

I agree, some people have never sharpened there chains or wait too long.

I think of my chain as a razor blade which it kind of what it is. How many shaves can you get from your razor before you have to replace the blade.

The chains are amazing, they do a ton of work but you can take the edge off so easily.
not to mention lube and chain stretching.

It's a precision tool.

Just my 2 cents....

Back