Are you loyal to one saw brand.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl, they make a great products, but the level of compassion and customer care has far exceeded any company I have ever dealt with. My brother was a professional logger as well as hit up every competition he could and usually won. He was killed 2001 logging in the Selkirk mountains of North Idaho, there was an avalanche and the mountain came down on top of him, it took us almost 2 days to dig him out the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life to date. He was using his 066 at the time he was killed, it was lost in the slash piles, but the land owner uncovered it over a year later and returned it to us, out of tribute I was going to rebuild it, sourcing parts on eaby etc... I was put in touch with Stihl in Wa. I sent them the news story and news video... he was pretty well known in Idaho and Montana... they said that they would take care of the entire rebuild FREE while trying to use as much of his orig saw as possible, they also helped out with is wife and 3 kids that were now fatherless. There is so much more to the story but to keep it short this is the biggest reason why I am a loyal Stihl fan.

I started with a Husky, I needed a saw to take down a big rotten apricot tree in the backyard.

Bloke I knew from a 4wd forum recommended a 340, he was a Husky dealer at the time. So I got one.

Like the feel etc. used it for garden work for years, just draining fuel when finished.

Now I've moved to wood heating, got a bigger Husky for that again preferred the feel to Stihl.

Have a third saw from emu legs now too.

Other gear, I have a self propelled Honda mower, Honda 4 stroke brush cutter, Honda 4 stroke blower, Honda powered Karcher pressure washer, husqvarna combi tool - line trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer and cultivator attachments.

So it's Honda and husky.

I grew up with my Dad getting firewood with his Stihl 050AV, it worked great!
He always had some Pioneers around, they were really popular here.

My dad decided he needed a new saw so he bougt a Husky 272XP (I still have it), and it has been almost perfect and it sure has cut alot of wood.
I also had two of his old Pioneers, but parts are hard to find so I traded them off here as quick as I could.
I needed a big saw, I loved how dependable my Husky 272 was so I bought a Husky 385, now I have several Husky projects and a Husky 235 which is fun to run trimming trees, camp wood ect...

I'm about like everyone else i grew up using about every make of saw there was. My first saw i bought on my own was a 028 wb and stuck with stihl mostly

Bought a small used Stihl from a friend and have received excellent service from the local dealer ever since. This is a small town and business relationships count. Turns out there's a Husky dealer close by as well that has a good reputation with local pro's. A 550xp and 372xp would have worked out just as well or better for my 50-70cc 2-saw plan than the saws in my sig. Life is good.

Yeah, I am, for three reasons. First, I have a good saw shop that keeps me in parts and gives loggers a discount and kind of a "preferred costumer" service. Second, Ive been running them so long I know how to work on them and I buy the same ones over again when I can so I can swap out parts. Third, they last as well as I can expect them to.

Stihl, they make a great products, but the level of compassion and customer care has far exceeded any company I have ever dealt with. My brother was a professional logger as well as hit up every competition he could and usually won. He was killed 2001 logging in the Selkirk mountains of North Idaho, there was an avalanche and the mountain came down on top of him, it took us almost 2 days to dig him out the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life to date. He was using his 066 at the time he was killed, it was lost in the slash piles, but the land owner uncovered it over a year later and returned it to us, out of tribute I was going to rebuild it, sourcing parts on eaby etc... I was put in touch with Stihl in Wa. I sent them the news story and news video... he was pretty well known in Idaho and Montana... they said that they would take care of the entire rebuild FREE while trying to use as much of his orig saw as possible, they also helped out with is wife and 3 kids that were now fatherless. There is so much more to the story but to keep it short this is the biggest reason why I am a loyal Stihl fan.

Sorry to hear of your loss, may God bless you your family and Stihl for thier kind jesture.

i grew up with stihl and echo, but i own a few echo, a few husky, and a bunch of stihls'. i am fairly loyal to stihl because i have exc. dealer support, and have had zero problems with stihl saws. i too realize all brands have good and bad models. i really feel they have made me the most money in my business and by far the least problems. they stand up well to the abuse my guys put them through. if there is a day when i cannot depend on stihl and their exc. dealer network they have, i may then look elsewhere.

Not as much as you might think, they worked and made money or they were promptly ditched. The fact that the brand that hit the ditch were stihls, was poor judgement on my part, should have left them at the dealer.

i like how the stihls are set up ,the clutch cover design without any adjuster in it ,and inboard clutch makes chain swaps easy and quick ,i actually like the flip caps for filling up with gloves on too ,muffler type is nice and easy to mod also on most models ,the handlebars have a good solid feel to them also

I grew up running Stihls, Ropers, and Poulans. My first saw was a Mac but when Bill(think that was his name) died that company went to crap. Been running Stihls ever since they have been good to me. My favorite saw is one of the last of the 046 mags and it is and has always been one hell of a saw-won't part with it. I run a 6401 too it has been a good, powerful, and dependable saw for the money. I run an 066 when the wood is big enough or for milling lumber. So no, I am not loyal but I like that I can call any of 5 stihl dealers and they usually have what I need in stock which isn't often. Ran a husky 350 once and I believe my 028 would out cut it with the bar and chain combos we were running at the time. I'll pick up one of the good huskies sometime maybe they'll impress me. No use for echo after hearing they suck on warranties-ain't got time to screw around waiting for parts, though I believe they generally are good saws.

partial to stihl

... however ... a small husqvarna followed me home awhile back.

We started with a bone rattling 041, and loved the thing :cheers:

Before that, we had a ancient mac that scared me, I was pretty young at the time and didn't like the noise it made.
The Stihl was a far better machine. Heated the house for 20 years with it... no problems.

I have owned a run a variety of saws. I "lean" towards Stihl for a few reasons. One is that they are pretty consistent in the way they start. ie, if you have one model you can easily transition to a different model without having to learn new things. I like the single choke/switch that many models have. I like the bars and chains they make. I have found that pulling up on the tip of the bar when tightening the chain/bar is unnecessary due to the bar studs tightly fitting the slots. I like the 19mm diameter bar nuts. I like that from sub 50cc saws up to the MS660 the bars all interchange. I like the fact the plastic looks good and not all different shades like Husky.

I do not like flippy caps and that alone would probably keep me from buying a new one. I don't like not being able to buy parts online (more or less) I don't like fuel hoses being a specific part vs using stock materials. (although I haven't had to change many)

I am not impressed with Echo other than they are uber reliable.

Most of the Macs I have had are "old school" without much in the way of anti-vibe, etc and they are ridiculously loud. (but fun to play with)

I have a Jonsered and that started out on a sour note with not being able to get needed parts.

Huskys just don't do much for me. Nothing specific I don't like, just haven't grown fond of them.

Dolmar I have zero experience with. I saw one once.

Makita I have zero experience with.

Solo, never saw one in running condition.

Partner: friend has one that he likes, I never used it.

Poulan: I like the ones I have used but they are pretty chintzy nowadays. I liked the countervibe ones I've had but not enough to keep them. They do cut well though. Probably would've kept them if they had chain brakes. I keep a "superclean" in my truck. It runs when I need it.

Skil was my first saw. Had it for years and gave it to a friend who eventually gave it to a friend of his. It's probably still getting passed around lol.

Others will come and go. Not brand loyal, just biased.

Last edited:
Chainsaw's are kinda like women in this respect. Short, tall, fat or skinny, blonde, brunette or fire bush, Poulan, Jred, Husky, Stihl, Pioneer, Dolmar, Mac or Homie . You'd be hard pressed to find one that I find nothing attractive about. It can happen, but they're the exception and not the rule.

I am partial to huskys and jreds, although i like other saws, as long as they aren't stihl's :)
I know they have good saws, just don't like most of the ones that I've worked on.

Latest posts

Back