Best less than 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a Dollmar 5105 with 18" bar 3/8 chain a little heavier but it's a real good saw in the 50 cc category. My 501 is running .325 chain.

Is a 501 around 459 list? I want one but may have to settle for the same motor in 4910 some day.

I found it 469-489. https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/C...6nDp2eOF40npWz_KiIhoCuWMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Still not bad. Guess that is why the 4910 for 359 folks are going for since same motor etc as 501.
$470 today with the 18" setup.
Not to start a new line of discussion, but it seemed noticeably lighter than the Stihl MS261 and that is a key factor in my decision.
Controls are simple, air filter access is tooless and it feels right in my hands. Optomistic about it.
The CS-501 has a 16" bar/chain as optional equipment, just not in the original purchase setups.

Since I’ve entered my 40s, my hands have been bugging me, more so from climbing, gripping ropes and what not, but a chattery saw definitely aggravates them.
Suggest you try some gel padded bicycle gloves. I even put them inside my lined winter gloves when I split by hand and it helps ward off numbness.
They come fingerless so they fit ok inside other oversized gloves.
Another trick I learned from motorbiking and hand numbness is don't hang on too tight. If you loosen your grip a bit it helps a lot.

Not to start a new line of discussion, but it seemed noticeably lighter than the Stihl MS261 and that is a key factor in my decision.
Controls are simple, air filter access is tooless and it feels right in my hands. Optomistic about it.
The CS-501 has a 16" bar/chain as optional equipment, just not in the original purchase setups.

The 501 did have an 18" bar as standard equipment. I requested the 16" bar and chain as I feel 50 cc saws perform best with this configuration

The 501 did have an 18" bar as standard equipment. I requested the 16" bar and chain as I feel 50 cc saws perform best with this configuration
What I wrote is that the 16" was an added cost option and not a standard setup where I went. It appears that way in the 2021 literature but a bit of sweet talk might have an effect on that. When I got an .043" on my CS-2511 there was an upcharge from the standard .05" setup and it was from a different dealer. Doesn't make sense but I guess they each make their own policies.

What I wrote is that the 16" was an added cost option and not a standard setup where I went. It appears that way in the 2021 literature but a bit of sweet talk might have an effect on that. When I got an .043" on my CS-2511 there was an upcharge from the standard .05" setup and it was from a different dealer. Doesn't make sense but I guess they each make their own policies.
There was no upcharge when I bought mine.

Guess my (power equipment) dealers are horse traders. Give them the business and they take advantage. One actually tried to collect a setup fee above the MSRP.
They are all different, some good,some bad. Some want return business some just want your money. The really good ones go the extra mile to make sure you're happy with your equipment.

Thinking of echo cs361p with a 14” bar. Anyone have experience with those?
I realize you are the original poster but that discussion should not be in a thread titled the way this one is. I have one and have commented elsewhere, could do so some more. The guy who suggested the MS200 or 201 might be on to something. I tried out the Husky 540 top handle gasoline saw lately it worked quite well and I tried restarting it half a dozen times and it was flawless.

I don't have a 241, but have a couple of 024's, 026's and MS260's. But I believe that the best bang for the buck (and I say this at the risk of being pelted with rotten tomatoes) is the lowly and disparaged 025 or MS250. Great power to weight ratio, ubiquitous and cheap used, and parts are everywhere. The drawbacks for a father-in-law are: they are hard to pull over and they flood easily on starting. The reason they are hard to pull is that they are the largest of the series, but they have the same rope pulley diameter as the smallest (021). (German engineering isn't all it's cracked up to be) The easy flooding can be conquered by remembering no more than two pulls on choke. They are much lighter than the venerable and reliable 028's, and, once started, they will be much easier on the mature male's stamina. I use a 16" bar with 3/8LP full chisel chain. Can I get a witness?

X2 on this statement. Amazing saw that has baffled a few people I’ve cut with so far Just used for firewood , pine, spruce occasional fir. The part that amazes me is the cc is small but it has the same horsepower rating as most 50 cc saws and more than some. It is light, powerful and dead reliable, what more can you ask for in a saw.
220f3a31d1df548d6b3e69f7bdf694f6.jpg
I’m a dedicated Amateur a friend had an 1 1/2 acre taken over by Locust Trees
just interested a new one some day ...sold my used clean saw with case for $550 bout 6 months ago w/several extra chains 16 inch

Been running one for 5 or 6 years. Very happy with. Modded it with a catalytic-free muffler from a CS355.
As a dedicate Amateur I used an ECHO CS 352 lightweight and high power for its size. I cleared about 1 acre of wild black locust trees here in Pennsylvania with that saw with the following minor mods . Replaced the bar and chain with Oregon equipment more aggressive chain faster cutting , and a third blade that’s much less height brand Unkown.
Bar oil was supplemented with one small can of ENGINE RESTORE To reduce friction . And I acquired a sharpening clamp on with stone also from Oregon. I keep a spare chain in an old plastic coffee container. I file the chain the same old way your are ; being sure to dress the rakes each time. The low friction oil combined with the more aggressive cutting Oregon Chain allows me cut trees down in a precise abet Slow way. I’m 70 and the light weight of the ECHO CS 352 is about as heavy as I want to get. Reducing Friction and keeping the air filter clean makes all the difference . Stronger Chain Saws weigh more and in my humble opinion are not needed unless your are 1. Younger 2. Haven’t hurt your back (yet) 3. Your a Commercial feller/ cutter 4. You need to make a lot of cuts bucking the fallen wood.
High speed about 2 Horsepower it does the job . If you idea of cutting wood is to force the saw through the work get a monster ( Heavy ) Saw and force away.
SAFETY RULES ARE WRITTEN IN BLOOD . This Echo CS352 keeps you safe by making sure you plan your cuts and doesn’t let you make mistakes a high output saw will lead you into.
BTW locust is harder than oak and has more btu per weight.

I don't have a 241, but have a couple of 024's, 026's and MS260's. But I believe that the best bang for the buck (and I say this at the risk of being pelted with rotten tomatoes) is the lowly and disparaged 025 or MS250. Great power to weight ratio, ubiquitous and cheap used, and parts are everywhere. The drawbacks for a father-in-law are: they are hard to pull over and they flood easily on starting. The reason they are hard to pull is that they are the largest of the series, but they have the same rope pulley diameter as the smallest (021). (German engineering isn't all it's cracked up to be) The easy flooding can be conquered by remembering no more than two pulls on choke. They are much lighter than the venerable and reliable 028's, and, once started, they will be much easier on the mature male's stamina. I use a 16" bar with 3/8LP full chisel chain. Can I get a witness?
I have a MS250 and if I'm being honest, It's the saw I use the most. I've reverted it to "025 spec" with the older style muffler (modded), clam shell style air filter and boy what a difference it made. I also converted it to rim sprocket and threw on a elastostart. It's quite impressive for a 45cc saw.

I have a 16” because that’s the longest with the narrow chain. as I understand it, the 18” would be the wider chain and part of the effectiveness of the 241 is that the narrower chain makes faster cuts in most conditions. It’s been a while since I rigged it up, so I don’t remember the exact chain type, but I have a lightweight Japanese bar with the narrow chain.

When in the bucket I have the 241 in my hand unless I am within reach of multiple smaller branches in which case the Lone Wolf 200T is in my hand.

We do disaster relief work so we are either removing damaged trees that are endangering structures, trimming above structures or sometimes removing heavy branches or trees that have fallen on other trees.

My goal with the 241 and the 200T is to have the most performance for its weight. The 200T is a little heavier than the 192 I was using before, but makes up for it and then some with its amazing performance and start first time every time nature. The 241 also starts first time every time.

In the bucket, ai least our JLG 500J bucket, there’s not much room for starting a big saw. I can start the 241 easily and it will make all the cuts I have to make in the bucket. I haven’t had to use a bigger saw yet and I sometimes cut stuff the bar is barely long enough for.

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/3e/14/D14B6B88-CC94-4C97-ABE9-22DE85CDD9D6/IMG_4093.heic

Those were good saws, but if you ever put a narrow chain 241 in your hands, you wont want to go back to the older saws.

Latest posts

Back