Best quality oil for fuel mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl High Performance at 50:1 in the 361, anything richer and she smokes more than I like. The Mac gets fed 32:1 because....well, just because guys with a lot more saw knowledge than me told me to use that ratio .
The Husky seems to be able to eat anything and do so with pleasure. The 350 has been an unbelievably bulletproof saw.

My homelite which was built in the 60s calls for 30w engine oil and its still running excellent
Didn't have the modern options 50 years ago, did they?

Didn't have Strato saws, or run at 14,000 rpm. Bet there are 1 or 2 other differences I am over looking . . .

(Oh yeah, Homelite was a good saw back then).

Philbert

I have to warn you guys about bacon grease! First, extremely unhealthy to use. It makes an excellent machine cutting lubricant, better than pure lard for some reason and not corrosive as I feared. However, I had no option but to eat three pounds of thick sliced bacon to obtain the bacon grease and then every time I start cutting in my shop instead of that nasty disgusting stink of moly cutting oil the smell of frying bacon fills the air. Beyond human endurance to stand there smelling bacon frying for an hour or more and not go cook up a pound or two for some manly BLT's!! My cholesterol is up 60 points just from using bacon grease as a cutting lube.

That is a concern too. Cutting lube aids in cutting. Do we want cutting lube in our mix helping cut pistons and cylinders? Cutting lube helping cut sprockets, chains, and bars? Bacon grease is evil! Only because it is too late for me and I am beyond help will I accept all moderately lean thick sliced bacon shipped to me fresh for proper disposal. My gift to the rest of humanity.

Hu
I've used bacon grease in my popcorn machine kettle to make great smelling and tasty popcorn. The house smells, my clothes smell like bacon. Mmmm

Point being just mix it right and you'll be fine. I prefer xp oil in my stihls xps echos efcos

Do you have anything you can tell us about the diesel oil study, any authorized stuff? Or point to somewhere else online with the study results? If it is all secret in house, that's fine.
Hey. You would be amazed at what we found out in lab tests, dyno runs ( mule engines and chassis dyno ), real world tests in our 1000hp daily drivers and our 2000hp track trucks. We tested all major brands, custom labelled ( rebranded ), construction, agricultural and highway oils. Plus the oil filters, oil additives and modifiers.
Send me a PM, I can share some info.

Did someone mention bacon.................? I'll have to save the renderings and try them out. :laugh: I'd venture a guess that this would be a summer blend. Not fit for the -5F we have right now.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a Happy New Year.

Bacon for saws.jpg

Last edited:
just in case it hasn't been said yet i will let you guys know that castrol super 2 stroke is the exact same oil as stihl ultra but for a way better price. if you like stihl ultra it is a great way to save money. i usually buy castrol but i bought a bottle of stihl ultra last time due to castrol being unavailable at the time.

just in case it hasn't been said yet i will let you guys know that castrol super 2 stroke is the exact same oil as stihl ultra but for a way better price. if you like stihl ultra it is a great way to save money. i usually buy castrol but i bought a bottle of stihl ultra last time due to castrol being unavailable at the time.

That is the kind of thing it is good to know. The manufacturer has to make a buck and so does every "middleman" The closer to the manufacturer the better the pricing.

Back in the eighties auto parts used to pass through typically eight or more "middlemen" before hitting a retail counter! Makes you wonder what they sold for originally. Of course I was selling rebuilt engines myself, purchased directly from the rebuilder. When the rebuilder compared notes he discovered I made more on his engines than he did. I pointed out that my thirty percent mark-up was more than his thirty percent mark-up!

If that oil is marked up 10% from the refiner, 15% from the blender, 20% from the bottler, 20% from Stihl, 35 to 50% at the dealer . . . . Chances are we could buy a gallon from the blender for far less than we pay for a quart. Of course it might take us awhile to use up ten or fifteen thousand gallons of oil!

Hu

Oh heck!!! Lets just use 1/3 bacon grease and 2/3 suntanning oil!!! All this is just opinions. My buddy that started this post is an educated scienctist who is looking for scientific backed data on 2 stroke oil in aircooled chainsaw motors! He simply is looking for the best protection available for that high$$$$$ 660 he just purchased. Does anyone know of a lab backed test of all these oils?
Why not just use the rating on the bottle if you want something quantifiable? The tests might not be perfect, but asking about oil on a web forum will yield mostly just superstitions and conjecture.

Wrecked my 084 running it on stihl oil 50:1, now run everything from my 019t to 090 on stihl, husky or prosilver oil 20:1, some guys reckon its a waste of oil mechanics tell me not to change. Just keep a good supply of sparkplugs on hand.

Wrecked my 084 running it on stihl oil 50:1, now run everything from my 019t to 090 on stihl, husky or prosilver oil 20:1, some guys reckon its a waste of oil mechanics tell me not to change. Just keep a good supply of sparkplugs on hand.
My Dad and I have been running an 064 and 084 since 1985 (bought new) with Stihl premium oil mixed at 32:1 with 90 octane fuel. Never got hot, ran rich or lean, or even fouled a plug with a mix of 32:1. The saws were cleaned after every use and thoroughly cleaned once a month, even checking for piston scoring. New plugs and filters installed at least twice to three times a year.
Maybe you had a bad batch of oil.

Could have, mechanic who fixed it and told me to go to 20:1 reckons the fuel companies over here play with their fuel recipe, so have just stuck with heavy mix. Plugs are cheap next to engine rebuilds, the 066 might go through four or five a year just depends how much im doing.

Got some bacon from a local small sausage place for Christmas. Almost $6 a pound and worth every penny. The super premium synthetic of bacon!

No ethanol gas and 40:1 with a good synthetic, whatever I find locally. Pull the muffler and the piston looks nice and has a slippery coating. Works for me

Latest posts

Back