Best saw under 40cc?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
echo cs 370 or cs 400 you can't go wrong i love mine outboard clutch adjustable oiler. easy to service

Which little saw under 40cc's is the toughest?
If a 40cc is acceptable , my Sachs-Dolmar 105 is one tough little thing!

Stopped working last year starting 1988. , looked into it last week and found this:
IMAG0053 (Custom).jpg IMAG0054 (Custom).jpg

I feared much worse when it abruptly stopped out of full WOT, I didn't dare look into it till recently. :oops:
I already scavenged a clutch assy from a bucket-carcass that I have.
I have taken her half way apart, cleaned off the oily wood dust, buffed out score marks of the piston and cylinder, have a new (Stihl) ring at the ready.
I am reluctant to tear further into her as any parts are NLA anyhow and the crankcase and connecting rod bearings seem to be OK.

Other then taking off the sprocket/clutch drum, spark plug, air filter and clutch cover this little saw has NEVER been dismantled and is completely factory original.

Sachs-Dolmar 105: start of usage 1988. , first mayor damage requiring replacement of parts 2014. - that sounds "tough" to me. :)

Don't know about never small saws though!

Echo 271. It just starts and cuts and sits till the next time. Gets used more than all my other saws, that's why I sold them.

The older little poulans are great. I have a homelite XL that kept running and cut wood with the piston ring in three pieces. I love those old saws.

...and I have a Dolmar 350. It shortly became cat free after purchase. It makes me wonder why I even mess with those old saws. That thing just runs like mad. Highly recommended.

Best built = Shindaiwa 377. Strongest runner, after mods = Redmax 3800/4000/4500. Most others in this class are either too heavy or too cheaply built to be considered, IMHO.
By mods do you mean muffler mod and timing advance? Or full port job?

Latest posts

Back