Can i stir the pot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am the shooter in that pic- but we always switched up so no one would get upset or feel deprived or want to complain to Mommy

Last edited:
Nice guns :rock:

PICT0003.jpg

Sorry about hijacking this awesome gun thread but isn't the Dolmar 7900 in more of the 5 cubic inch family or at least closer to the 460? I don't understand why it is even compared to the 372 or 440 when it has such a big cc advantage.

Sorry about hijacking this awesome gun thread but isn't the Dolmar 7900 in more of the 5 cubic inch family or at least closer to the 460? I don't understand why it is even compared to the 372 or 440 when it has such a big cc advantage.

BORRRING

so back to the killings and the guns...

Originally Posted by blsnelling

Stock? 441 C-M. It is the strongest of the bunch.
Also the heaviest and bulkiest.......:smile2:

It will cut more wood in most any work related time frame or situation than any other 70-80cc saw, so how is the stigma of "heaviest and bulkiest" hurting it, when its getting more done???

If a person was to just start using the saw and quit whining about this "fat bottom girl" (441) they would find its one of the most efficient and comfortable saws made, but thats the problem, the biggest complainers about the 441 have never used one, and a lot of the others have either semi-illogical or petty complaints about it.

As to either its weight or size, what I find quite interesting, is you can blind fold most anyone and hand them a 440, 372, 7900, 441 and a 460 and they will not be able to tell you which one is which, and unless the handle bar and back grip are so wide that you can't hold onto it, then what is the big deal if you can cut more wood with it, production should be what is important, as it is a tool designed for work and to get work completed. The 441 fits where all of the other 70-80cc saws fit, as I have yet to need to squeeze my 441's into small cracks or rebuild my shelves to higher or wider specs in order to justify the continual use of the "heaviest and bulkiest" 441.

Sawtroll have you even laid eyes on a 441 (In person)?

Have you even picked one up? Did your back give out when that happen, and thats what the (seemingly) illogical hatred of the saw comes from.

Were you injured by the handling of a 441 or by looking at it?

Just wondering,

Sam

Sam's got a point here. a bit off topic, but i have yet to meet a mechanic that says these X-brand wrenches are just too heavy, or an excavator that says i shoulda got a lighter bobcat, or a roofer that says this nailer is just too bulky! JMHO

Photo0180.jpg

went to my gun guy to accessorize the AR and got to play in the safe, he is a class 3 ffl dealer with lots of toys. First off is the G36 select fire, I should have put the Beta mag in for effect.
Photo0182.jpg

Uzi and MP5, the Uzi is full auto and the MP5 is a select fire (3 round burst and full auto)
Photo0183.jpg

Vector, man it looks just like it does in the COD games, I thought I had a pic with the P90 but couldn't find it on my phone.
Photo0184.jpg

Silenced MP5 select fire. All these guns make my AR lame and I have a bit of money in mine.

Time to kick some ass! :rock:

homelitejim, the G36 is cool... but I still like the G3 more... :D

I've wanted one of them for years, since I was something like 14. Problem is they no longer allow most (all?) of the older guns to be imported or registered. So... you end up looking at a 30,000+ buck price tag on a real G3... or a black market one which probably costs no less and lands your ass in the clink if you get caught with it. Or you end up like most others and get a 91 or CETME.

Preferably one set up like this 91... http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...15E135LnYq6KMxdwTb27iQX4-NlVjQ3obMUJ8uuwqYFPw

I'll probably end up with a PTR-91 sometime this year, late spring/early summer...

usmarinekurt, you look like you got to have a bunch of fun sending lead downrange. Though getting shot at probably wasn't too much fun. Thanks for your service. :cheers:

Time to kick some ass! :rock:

homelitejim, the G36 is cool... but I still like the G3 more... :D

I've wanted one of them for years, since I was something like 14. Problem is they no longer allow most (all?) of the older guns to be imported or registered. So... you end up looking at a 30,000+ buck price tag on a real G3... or a black market one which probably costs no less and lands your ass in the clink if you get caught with it. Or you end up like most others and get a 91 or CETME.

Preferably one set up like this 91... http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...15E135LnYq6KMxdwTb27iQX4-NlVjQ3obMUJ8uuwqYFPw

I'll probably end up with a PTR-91 sometime this year, late spring/early summer...

usmarinekurt, you look like you got to have a bunch of fun sending lead downrange. Though getting shot at probably wasn't too much fun. Thanks for your service. :cheers:

Photo0191.jpg

Here is a pic of my lowly semi auto zombie eliminator, backed up by a 870 tactical and a glock 20

It will cut more wood in most any work related time frame or situation than any other 70-80cc saw, so how is the stigma of "heaviest and bulkiest" hurting it, when its getting more done???

If a person was to just start using the saw and quit whining about this "fat bottom girl" (441) they would find its one of the most efficient and comfortable saws made, but thats the problem, the biggest complainers about the 441 have never used one, and a lot of the others have either semi-illogical or petty complaints about it.

As to either its weight or size, what I find quite interesting, is you can blind fold most anyone and hand them a 440, 372, 7900, 441 and a 460 and they will not be able to tell you which one is which, and unless the handle bar and back grip are so wide that you can't hold onto it, then what is the big deal if you can cut more wood with it, production should be what is important, as it is a tool designed for work and to get work completed. The 441 fits where all of the other 70-80cc saws fit, as I have yet to need to squeeze my 441's into small cracks or rebuild my shelves to higher or wider specs in order to justify the continual use of the "heaviest and bulkiest" 441.

Sam

Hey I agree Sam on your production/tool angle but aren't all of your 441's modded? (I only added that to show that you still love your modified saws so deserve to be in the chainsaw section and not the forestry section ;)). I mean how many Ferraris are sold just because of their sound and feel when a stock, relatively boring (in comparison) R35 Nissan GTR will give them a hiding? It's sometimes not all about function and production when choosing a saw. I mean how dare you bring your sound logic here? ;)
I realise your saws will still have a fuel advantage over a similarly modded 372XP but a modified, powerful saw does tend to offset a few balance and weight issues! I'd hardly notice the chubbiness of your modded 441C's either if I was using one! I have found the standard strato Stihl saws boring (not the M-Tronics) but modded they look awesome. One thing that does impress me about the stratos and M-Tronics is their torque. Torque puts wood on the ground for sure and I have to be honest as much as I'd rather use a 372XP/440 over a 441 I'm 100% positive that I'd have more wood on the ground at the end of the day with the Stihl despite not liking the balance as much (I'd have some dodgey angles on some of my cuts though for sure :) ). I would love to do a production race between a stock 441 and 7900 - not sure who I'd back there despite the obvious fuel savings for the Stihl. I honestly think the results would be very similar. Throttle response on the stock stratos really is garbage in my opinion and when I've brought this up in the past people have said "just mod the muffler"etc etc. Well I could but then she ain't stock is she? I sold my MS261 as despite being a good saw it just flat out bored me compared to my modded Husky 353 or stock Dolmar 5100-S ( I sold the little Dolmar and kept the 261 - the biggest saw mistake of my life)...
I've used a couple of 441's and I know they're a good saw but personally I didn't like the balance compared to my Dolmars. Just like the MS660's compared to the 390XP. I just can't see how the hell anybody would take a MS660 over a 390XP for felling but that's just me. If somebody has a dig at a 441 being a tad chubby when compared to a 372XP/440 they are probably right. Whether they'd think the same when using one in the field is likely to depend on which side of the Stihl/Husky fence they sit on. I agree though that a lot of assumptions are made about this saw (and many other saws) by people who've never tried one. As you probably know I'm not a Stihl snob, I own a couple of 200T's, a HT131 pole saw, and an MS241C which are all excellent saws and some of my favourites.

Not a biggy and I'd quite happily grab any of those saws but I'd head for the 372XP first and the 440 second. The 441 comes last for excitement alone, certainly not productivity or reliability :cheers: Modded is likely to be a different story - maybe ;)

Sam's got a point here. a bit off topic, but i have yet to meet a mechanic that says these X-brand wrenches are just too heavy, or an excavator that says i shoulda got a lighter bobcat, or a roofer that says this nailer is just too bulky! JMHO

Ask that same mechanic what tool brand he prefers and dislikes and you will get an ear full(I like Snap On myself). Ask the excavator what brand he prefers, and what sizes he would use for what jobs(I prefer Komatsu to Bobcat, but that's because I am used to using one, and the controls are more or less the same, too). Ask the roofer if he would be happy if the gun weighed just one pound more, let alone which nail gun he prefers...

Ask that same mechanic what tool brand he prefers and dislikes and you will get an ear full(I like Snap On myself). Ask the excavator what brand he prefers, and what sizes he would use for what jobs(I prefer Komatsu to Bobcat, but that's because I am used to using one, and the controls are more or less the same, too). Ask the roofer if he would be happy if the gun weighed just one pound more, let alone which nail gun he prefers...

well sure if you ask them they will have an opinion, but i worked residential construction and excavation and consider myself a backyard mechanic as i've always worked on my own vehicles, and in my 35 years of life have yet to have someone from one of these professions come up to me and say "ya know the bostitch nailer is 6oz lighter" or "the snap-on 11/16" wrench is so much less bulky than the craftsman" or "the gehl's controls are so much nicer than that bobcat".

mechanic, what tool brand he prefers or dislikes- isn't that like asking which do you prefer Stihl or husky? not the same debate.
excavator, again what brand? wrong arguement. what size for what job? now you're saying the 026 or the 660? again not what i'm saying at all
roofer (or framer, or finish carpenter), now you're talkin. i don't claim to know it all however i have yet to hear guys on the jobsite debating the weights of tools. just my personal experience.

i'm not gettin' down on saw guys talkin' over weights, it's just a new thing to me since i've come here, that's all.

Mmm maybe i need to send you a package Matt ?,or hang on remember what them Ozzy post wankers did last time.:msp_sad:

I'd love to have a run of that thing Andrew. Unfortunately I still won't like the balance when felling and have modded 390XP's, modded 7900's, and a 3120 so won't be flabbergasted by the power either. I also have an MS241C so have a saw that is great on fuel too ;) I'm sure if you ran my 390XP's for a while you'd still (STIHL) rather have the 441 in your hands ;)
Don't let Australia Post anywhere near that thing mate, in fact next time I send a saw that valuable I'll hand deliver it :(

i'm not gettin' down on saw guys talkin' over weights, it's just a new thing to me since i've come here, that's all.

I'm sure you haven't heard any tradesman debating on weights etc. That's because their IQ's are normally approaching single figures :D

Last edited:
Mcw

I feel better knowing i am not the only pers

on not in love with my 261

I go from my ms200 to my.372
Weird but that 261 gets overlooked everytime

Latest posts

Back