Chain won't spin after tightening the nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went ahead and stuffed a rope in the cylinder, lol. Got the clutch off, it says Oregon 38-7 on the rim sprocket. So, that matches, right?

I don't know what a worn sprocket looks like, but this one looks fine to me. The 7 splines, where they fit into the 7 grooves, there is a little slop, but not much.

Since nobody here can lay a hand on your saw to see what is going on, why don't you take it to a dealer and ask them to show you what is wrong. I don't believe your problem is in the chain, bar or sprocket. There are several possibilities that weren't mentioned, one such issue would be the alignment of the chain brake mechanism between the saw and the clutch cover. There has to be a simple explanation.

Since nobody here can lay a hand on your saw to see what is going on, why don't you take it to a dealer and ask them to show you what is wrong. I don't believe your problem is in the chain, bar or sprocket. There are several possibilities that weren't mentioned, one such issue would be the alignment of the chain brake mechanism between the saw and the clutch cover. There has to be a simple explanation.

I'm going to have to do it if I don't figure it out, but it's 90 miles round trip, so, trying to avoid that.

It may not have to be a Husqvarna dealer. Anyplace that works on chainsaws should be able to see what is Going on. Explain to them what happened.

Again, if you'll just bolt on the bar and chain without the cover, you can probably just look at it as you tighten the nuts and see what is wrong.

That you can barely get the chain on and the adjuster is at the end of its travel raises a few flags. Is the tail of the bar too close to the drive sprocket?

BTW, if that's a 7 tooth 3/8 sprocket then it is likely full 3/8, not 3/8 lo pro like that chain appears to be. It still should not bind.

Why not see if there is a site member close to your location. If so maybe they could help sort this out.

Huh? It IS between .650" and .750" -- as I said, it is about .71875". Divide that by two and you get .359375". Of course, that is just by guessing, eyeballing a ruler, I don't have a caliper. So, does 1/2 of .71875" (.359375") indicate that it is 3/8 (.375) and not a .325 chain?

The pic posted by Philbert above... the distance between the two dashed lines... on mine, that is what I am calling .71875".

I am going to run the saw just a little and try again as some have suggested.
Yep, it's a 3/8. 3/8 is .375.

I have a 335xpt husky that does the same thing you are describing, and it is an "almost correct application" cheapie box store Oregon bar with a hollow tail that binds up when the bar nuts are tightened.

Ever once in a while these threads come up and it amazes me how many pages it takes before it gets resolved. One of the reasons it takes so damn long is because the OP won't take the advice and actually try what is mentioned. At this point, just writing this feels like a waist of time. I would go find a similar thread and link it here but after 5 pages it probably has already been covered. If anyone is inclined they can use the search and find one, maybe it's 10 pages long and has 5 pages of ides that haven't been mentioned yet.

I had a similar problem like this. Turned out it was narrow kerf bar with a regular kerf chain. Chain was correct drive count, correct gauge, just wrong kerf. i listened to folks advice and got it sorted out fast. Learned about regular and narrow kerf at this time.

I agree with a private message I just got from another member! Screw this idiot he is just messing with all of us, no one can be this stupid , put him on ignore. More important stuff to do than screw with TROLLS!

Could be a troll or someone not to mechanically inclined. In the latter case it might take 27 8x10 photographs with circles and arrows showing what to look for before it hits home.

My bet is still on this having a .325 drive...

Yes, a 3/8" lo-pro bar and chain, likely combined with a .325 drive sprocket (rim). What is happening to the OP is normal with such a combination, definitely NO-GO - and will create fluctuations in chain tension.

No 3/8" lo-pro drive sprocket (rim) for that saw is easily available, although it can be done (large 7-spline drum from a 562xp and a large 7-spline 7-pin rim from GB).

A regular 3/8" rim (those are easily available for that saw) won't work properly with a 3/8" lo-pro chain either - it is too small, and will work about like a proper one that is worn well past its useful "life".

I had a similar problem like this. Turned out it was narrow kerf bar with a regular kerf chain. Chain was correct drive count, correct gauge, just wrong kerf. i listened to folks advice and got it sorted out fast. Learned about regular and narrow kerf at this time.

That combination will normally work on some saw model (like the 346xp in question here), while not on others (like the 550xp)....

It isn't meant to work though, so it's just a bonus when it does.

Ever once in a while these threads come up and it amazes me how many pages it takes before it gets resolved. One of the reasons it takes so damn long is because the OP won't take the advice and actually try what is mentioned. At this point, just writing this feels like a waist of time. I would go find a similar thread and link it here but after 5 pages it probably has already been covered. If anyone is inclined they can use the search and find one, maybe it's 10 pages long and has 5 pages of ides that haven't been mentioned yet.

You have no idea what is going on in my life since this thread was started 72 hours ago, and I am not going to go into it. I have been doing the suggestions, sorry it does not fit your timetable.

I also am not at my home with my shop; I do not have a vise where I am. Furthermore, I am new to chainsaws. I do not have the knowledge of a lifetime of messing with them.

There have been many helpful suggestions and I appreciate it and have said 'thanks' more than once, and I hope to get to the bottom of this.

Now, I can understand why those other people started that other forum. I had heard that this forum had a lot of rude posters with way too much animosity. Looks like it's true.

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions and have remained civil. You mean-spirited ones, unbelievable you get so worked up over a forum thread.

Latest posts

Back