Chainsaw gas:oil mixture ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stammster

Reaction score
I have used my Stihl 025 for over 10 years without problems running it at 50:1 with genuine Stihl 2 stroke oil.

I recently purchase a 70's vintage McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 in nearly new condition. The owner's manual calls for 40:1 mixture.

Can I run the 50:1 mixture (used in my Stihl) in the McCulloch? It would keep things simpler. Is there any technical reason why the McCulloch manual suggested 40:1. I assume that over the last 30 years, the quality of 2 stoke oil has improved and perhaps 40:1 was what was required back then. I do not want to burn up this noise maker by running too low of a mix.

According to Amsoil, I should be able to run 80:1 or 100:1 in both saws. I know a lot of commercial and rental people swear by this product. I would also like to hear all pro's and con's. on this product also and would also like to know how one product is good for all 2 stokes at the same mix ratio where every manufacturer has their own mix recommendations.

Stammster

with the newer oils, you can run 50 to 1 in all your saws. Thats what I've been doing. The richer mixtures required in the old saws was due to low quality oil available at the time.

Hey Stammster,Go ahead and run the same pre-mix in both saws.The Stihl oil will be fine in the Mac.As long as I use a good oil I have had no problems with 50:1 in any of my older saws.How you liking the Mac? Jeff

other way 'round

I have been cutting wood for many, many years on 40:1
Does a little extra hurt?

I would run both on 40:1

it works out to .64 oz extra oil in a gallon of gas. Isn't a whole bunch is it? wait a sec.... the bottles say 2.6 oz on them don't they? That would make 49.23:1 :dizzy:

Whatever.... go cut wood. :chainsaw:

-Pat

I've owned a tree business for 10 years all I use is STIHL I put Amsoil Saber 80:1. Runs cleaner and starts easier. Plus a bottle makes me 4 gallons and it's only $5.45. 1.6oz mix to 1 gallon of 93. My step dad was a gas station tech and he said never use 91.

I collect old Homelites, and anything else that follows me home. I have a Homelite Super 1050, 100CC's that my Dad bought new back in the early 70's. He put 20 years of commercial use on it, then I cut firewood with it for years and the last 4-5 years I used it as my milling saw. It called for 32:1 and I've used nothing but Stihl 50:1 in it for years. I've had a couple that were old enough that they called for 16:1 and I used 50:1 in them too, Joe.

10 year old 361 7 year old 660 plus 9 other saws . Back blower hedge trimmer weedeater pole saw all still work.

Amsoil Saber is the highest rated 2 cycle oil out there. Less carbon build up almost no smoke. If used the dog piss out of mine and have never had a mechanical failure.

Justin, welcome to the site. You managed to get me again, an 11 year old thread. I'm retired from a 4th generation tree service. The OP, who only posted once, was concerned about a 70's Mac. All of your equipment is pretty much brand new and designed to run on 50:1. What do you run your old stuff on? I had an old Homelite 7-29 that was designed to run on 10:1, doubled as a mosquito fogger. I was just messin with you a little. We sometimes go off the deep end on oil mix threads. Again, welcome aboard, Joe.

Nothing like an oil thread to get the blood pumping.
Oil is cheap insurance IMHO. I don't want to fog for mosquitoes and I don't want to lean it out till it squeaks either.
I mix 50:1 and then add a little Marvel oil as a stabilizer. If I was expecting to noodle or if I got into milling I'd mix thicker.
I really don't miss the days of SAE 30 and sucking down smoke fog and lead fumes all day long.

Nothing like an oil thread to get the blood pumping.
Oil is cheap insurance IMHO. I don't want to fog for mosquitoes and I don't want to lean it out till it squeaks either.
I mix 50:1 and then add a little Marvel oil as a stabilizer. If I was expecting to noodle or if I got into milling I'd mix thicker.
I really don't miss the days of SAE 30 and sucking down smoke fog and lead fumes all day long.
Wow, someone else that remembers mixing straight SAE 30, I feel young again:), Joe.

Up to 3 years ago when I took over all the firewood work from my FIL I just grabbed the can marked mix gas and went. Now I mix 40:1 red armor for everything. Need to pic up a plastic poulan and run some 100:1 amsoil just to see what happens.

I'd rather run broken down diesel oil than any amsoil product. For the 9 years I was a service manager it was by far the number 1 failure oil I saw. "Go ahead and run that bike 100-1. It's amsoil it will protect it or we'll pay". Biggest farce in the world. Don't get me started on their gear lubes and synthetic 4 stroke oil.

I don't know what state you are from but there is a 1000% difference in 87 to 91. It starts with ethanol and ends with the fire rate of higher octanes. I've personally been involved in a study that sampled fuel from 187 stations in Central Mn. Many fuels come from the same place but differ on your blue planet type additives, etc. However what plays the largest part is the station, tank conditions, tank locations, and how fast the fuel is rotated out. The best fuel in central MN is by far and away at First Fuel Banks.

When it comes to 2 stroke oil there are many out there that are good. Most in fact are more than adequate for lubrication. Much like Tree Feller said for most it don't matter. Where the higher quality oils shine is in cleanliness. They burn completely and leave little to no residue. I personally run Yamaha water craft oil.

Latest posts

Back