Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make sure you read what I wrote carefully - you WANT it to misfire when you lift, and to stop under load. If not, it's too lean.

Your confusing things here with the word misfire. Besides if a 5020 is tuned right, you really have to listen to them to hear what your speaking of. They don't tune like most are used to, they don't like rich, it really took me some time to figure the little strato Poulans out when tuning them.

I had a hard used wildthing I took the muffler off today I was shocked by the look of the piston it had been used heavily for firewood at 40 1 the piston looked new I'd say that's adequate oil for a saw in general only thing wrong w that saw was a fuel line I didn't use any special oil in it either it got used every day after school till I got my first husqy

I would NOT go to 1:32! Way too much oil and a total waste! We are not talking pro ported race saw here, this is a generall consumer grade 50cc average power saw. 1:40 is more than enough when using generic semi synthetic 2 stroke oil! With full synthetic two stroke oil I would even say 1:45 is more than enough.

And the fear of any carbon build up is also neglectable when running rich for the first few refills. With proper carb settings there is hardly anything to worry about and any minimal build up will burn off later. Only if you run you saw continiously rich on oil or/and fuel will a build up became a problem.

So have it set or set the carb correctly and live happily ever after. Usually the local small mom & pop saw shops are the ones with experience, but any store with a qualified mechanic can tune your saw. Cost is usually a tip when buying some other stuff(f.e. spare chains, chain oil, etc.).

Your confusing things here with the word misfire. Besides if a 5020 is tuned right, you really have to listen to them to hear what your speaking of. They don't tune like most are used to, they don't like rich, it really took me some time to figure the little strato Poulans out when tuning them.
Well, 4-stroking is just a too-rich misfire, not really something special. But you're right, it is hard to hear on these, although it's still the best way to tune it.

Well, 4-stroking is just a too-rich misfire, not really something special. But you're right, it is hard to hear on these, although it's still the best way to tune it.

What have you found to be decent H and L settings, ball park?

What have you found to be decent H and L settings, ball park?
From my experience working on a few of these saws they kinda close but a Lil lean. Every one I worked on I slotted needles for use of common tools to service or tune them. Tuning that model poulan is slightly deceiving cause you will hear a lot of noise from the air box that may lead you to believe it's to lean when it could be fatter than ms piggy. Don't worry about getting the best tune in your first 5 tanks a bit rich is ok while the engine seats rings and breaks inn

Well of course 4 stroking is a missfire, but leave it to you to be the only one to describe it as a missfire to confuse a newbie with his new saw. That was my point...

Well of course 4 stroking is a missfire, but leave it to you to be the only one to describe it as a missfire to confuse a newbie with his new saw. That was my point...
I used the term misfire because he's a newbie. I know the term "4-stoking" is common here and among chainsaw experts, but nobody else will have the first idea what you are talking about if you use it. Most will have heard a misfire.

I find in trying to communicate clearly it's best to avoid specialized terms unless people are familiar with them, there was no other purpose.

From my experience working on a few of these saws they kinda close but a Lil lean. Every one I worked on I slotted needles for use of common tools to service or tune them. Tuning that model poulan is slightly deceiving cause you will hear a lot of noise from the air box that may lead you to believe it's to lean when it could be fatter than ms piggy. Don't worry about getting the best tune in your first 5 tanks a bit rich is ok while the engine seats rings and breaks inn

Thanks, sort of what I thought. I have the correct Poulan/husky splined screw driver. I only ran the used one I got for like ten seconds, just enough to see it works. Have several other projects ahead of that one right now..shoot, more than several.

Make sure you read what I wrote carefully - you WANT it to misfire when you lift, and to stop under load. If not, it's too lean.

I cut some hard older oak today and it did indeed misfire when I lifted and stopped under load.

That's just paint on The Boy's face.

12321265_538227663022128_3237541421162110513_n.jpg

I'd like to suggest that you run 32:1 if it calls for 40:1.I run 40:1 in my 50: engines all the time.Run great and protect the engine better.
Welcome.Where in Va are you- just a general idea.I'm in the Western Mtns.
Also, you probably have 3/8 pitch LoProfile chain. 91 series Oregon from one of the sponsors here would be a good choice.

Nokesville but I'm in a pocket of farm country.

I know I can find it with some search but if anyone has a handy link on tuning this sucker, it would be much appreciated. Seems to run fine though but the downed tree I cut up today definitely pushed this saw.

Thanks to all that have helped me so far with free, hard won advice. The wife and I surveyed our land today and this saw has some work planned for it!

Latest posts

Back