Common man looking for a chainsaw on a budget

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for a Husqvarna 55, or even a 50 or 51, excellent saws and will last for decades if you take good care of them. An Echo CS-510 or 520 is another saw that fits the bill nicely for what you are doing. If you don't mind a few more bucks and a little extra weight the Echo CS-590 can be had for about $340-360 delivered to your door.

I wouldn't even consider a Poulan 5020 or any other newer offering they make. I know that statement is going to cause a few folks to get their panties all wadded up, but if you are only going to get ONE saw on a $300 or so budget, and have a good amount of wood to cut, and really need to rely on that one saw to start and run right every single time you pick it up.....outing after outing, year after year.....get a better saw............Cliff

The recomendation for the 026/260 is no doubt a good one. ALTHOUGH the prices for used models are in no way understandable.

WHY?
First: there is a lot of hype about the brand

Second: You have NO idea what you are buying! With so many aftermarket brands for spare parts and so many instructions & videos on the net, any person with minor brain function, can repair any junk saw.
HOW WELL it has been repaired, no one knows! You have no idea what parts are inside, what has been repaired, with what parts, etc.
So it is absolutely possible that someone slaps in a new piston, files out the transfer and off it goes. The chance is high that the reason for the frying was never repaired. The saw runs for the demo but any further work is uncertain.
Further any saw older 15-20 years is highly suspect that other rubber parts are deteriorating at a high rate. So for a saw like the 026/260 this includes not only fuel lines, but also seal's, rubber springs, etc. So you are buying a potential repair product. And yes I know all these parts, per se, donot cost much(~ 50-100$), BUT I do include my time and the potential frying of the saw into my calculations.

Personally I won't invest my money (2-300$) into a used average type 50cc saw, when I can get a brand new saw for around 200 to 500 dollars.

Leaning towards a Dolmar 351 or Echo CS-4000. I could change my mind quickly if the right deal came up.

Dude have you checked any of your local dealers to see if they have any decent used saws? I picked up a nice Stihl 026pro for $175.00 plus tax from one of my locals.

The little Dolmars, Echos and Homelites are all foreign made saws with catalytic converter mufflers. The US made Poulans have strato engines with no cats. The Husqvarna 240 is really a Poulan design, also with a strato engine. They list at $180 with an advertised weight of 10.3 lbs.

The little Dolmars, Echos and Homelites are all foreign made saws with catalytic converter mufflers. The US made Poulans have strato engines with no cats. The Husqvarna 240 is really a Poulan design, also with a strato engine. They list at $180 with an advertised weight of 10.3 lbs.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to understand what you are saying, my apologies.

What do you guys think about a Farm Boss 041 with 18" bar that "runs good" for $200 locally?

Unfortunately, I don't know enough to understand what you are saying, my apologies.

Stratocharging is a carb and cylinder design that gives good power and less emissions without requiring a catalytic converter muffler. Those cat mufflers in the other ones make heat..bad.

If you have a local husky dealer and they have that model, see if they will let you try to start it and heft it around, it might work fine for you.

The other option in todays world that might work is a battery saw, instant on/off. Several members here have various brands battery saws. Most likely though above your budget. I have a first generation oregon battery saw, works well, the newer ones have 40% more power.

Entry level small husky 240 might work well as per above, available locally to you someplace. Then learn to keep saw clean and run only sharp chains.

I went through several pages on the classifieds here, nothing really jumps out at me for a small saw.

8" wood won't take much for a saw.

There's not a 55 rancher husq around you on Craigslist is there I have one they're pretty strong they do pull bad though... But they start with two pulls or mine does it's not pro but pretty close in build very reliable and powerful for wieght

I've already started to sell off some of my collection and have several really nice saws in the size and price range you are looking at. I'll be putting them in the trading post as soon as I can get some good pics and a little time to write up the adds, etc, hopefully within the next few days........Cliff

There's not a 55 rancher husq around you on Craigslist is there I have one they're pretty strong they do pull bad though... But they start with two pulls or mine does it's not pro but pretty close in build very reliable and powerful for wieght

Only thing nearby-ish is a 445 for $200.

The 445 should work fine on the size trees you mentioned in your 1st post. It is a consumer model and not as well built as a xp model. I have a 350 which is an older model similar to the 445 and it has been a very good saw. This type of saw can do a lot of work and not break your budget if you take care of them.

Latest posts

Back