Dolmar 421, Stihl 250/251, 241 or 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 250 or 251,241 or 261 or Dolmar 421

• Dolmar 421

• Stihl 251

• Stihl 250

• Stihl 241

• Stihl 261

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sounds to me u already know what u want and made ur mind up ? Why ask everyone else?

Because the question posed was not "Heavy powerful saw Vs. Light and nimble saw" it was "Which light and nimble saw?"

Now, at the moment. I am trying to figure out what (I think it was Cory) meant about pulling things out of mufflers and tweaking carbs for a new out of the factory saw.

Sounds to me u already know what u want and made ur mind up ? Why ask everyone else?
Yes I have. I really want a 421 I just can't afford it or justify buying it while having the 192 and 6100.
Oh you meant the op.

The 421 has a restrictions exhaust to pass epa. By removing the restrictions the saw runs a little better and cooler. But will need re tuned.

A lot of folks have talked about the Stihl 241 and 261, but it sounds like there is a bit of skepticism about how much they will actually weight, and also the fact that they cost 2x what the Dolmar we have been talking about costs.

Now the guy from the PNW/Canadia said something about the 261 on sale and having a potentially beneficial (to me) exchange rate between Canada and the US, so that was an idea I have been turning over.

Because the question posed was not "Heavy powerful saw Vs. Light and nimble saw" it was "Which light and nimble saw?"

Now, at the moment. I am trying to figure out what (I think it was Cory) meant about pulling things out of mufflers and tweaking carbs for a new out of the factory saw.
I think the 421 comes with a cat muffler or not. Do u like mtronics on your 661? Can u tune a carb?

You can get a 261 from Canada now for around $500, shipped. They are on sale up there now and the CDN dollar is in the tank. I can point you toward someone to buy and send you one. The 261 is M-tronic as well. The new 261 has a completely new engine design (they are in production now).

Another thing to consider is that the 241 has a small mount bar, and the 661 bars and loops will not fit them. I flipped all my 026 and 260 saws to 3/8 standard and run the same B&C as my larger Stihls.

Was the post

I think the 421 comes with a cat muffler or not. Do u like mtronics on your 661? Can u tune a carb?

Nope, I know nothing about tuning anything besides chain tension. I woukd actually love to learn, our mechanics teacher in high school was a ........ less than spectacular teacher (which I regretted) so I avoided the class.

Oh yah M-tronics, I don't have to tune anything so..... ignorance is Bliss? (Until it blows up on me, hence the desire to learn how to fix/tune them on my own)

Tuning a carb is pretty easy and there are some good videos on you tube that give a step by step instructions.
If I where to buy a stihl it would come from Canada. There is a guy selling some of the artic versions on the trading post.

Tuning a carb is pretty easy and there are some good videos on you tube that give a step by step instructions.
If I where to buy a stihl it would come from Canada. There is a guy selling some of the artic versions on the trading post.

Is there an advantage to the Arctic version? Or is that just what he has for sale?

For a light agile saw that u wont have to tune get the Stihl mtronics 241c. I u wanna learn to mod a muffler and tune a saw get the dolmar 421 but it isnt as light as the stihl 241c. Next in line for pro quality saws would be the stihl 261c or the 550xp which neither would u have to tune but weigh alil more than the 1st 2

Arctic simply has heated handles. Given that they are bench made 1 at a time in Germany, I would normally be beating the dolmar drum (love my 7910).

However, it sounds like because you already have the 661 and don't currently wrench on saws it would be best for you to take Windthrown up on the Canadian 261. Especially at the crazy discount because of currency difference.

I'd say go check one out at your dealer and see how the weight is for you.

Lol!! Yes im alil west of ya brother. Dont know if we will need firewood this year?

Shoot there is enough of it blown over by the tornadoes (that helped start this whole conversation going), but enough on the ground to heat most wood burners in the State for the next 3-5 years.

What size wood will u cut with this new saw?

I doubt, or rather do not intend to cut much stuff larger than 12 inches

If anything larger than 12 inches.

My thoughts were to use the smaller Saw to do the limbing and the bigger saw to do the felling and .... bucking? (Bucking being cutting up the trunk, right?)

Latest posts

Back