Dragster gas work for a work saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nitro does not go bad if kept in a dark container like a drum (not fuel jug of any color ). There are plenty of racers who would love that stuff, model boat, car and chainsaw racers will cut it with methanol to get the percent they want. At $60 - $100 per gallon I would not dump it. Of you do, check the color. If it is clear or yellow you are good. If it has turned blue or purple you need to dispose of it very carefully as it has turned to nitroglycerine and is extremely pressure sensitive. Either dump it slowly on the ground or seriously call the bomb squad. If you are near Oregon and want to get rid of it, I would gladly take it if it has not turned color.
The nitro is in the original unopened 5 gallon drum. He is keeping it in the shop for now because he hasn't decided what to do with it. As far as dumping it, we're a blasting company so dumping it into a blast hole with dynamite and ANFO is an easy way to get rid of it.

We are lucky here to have one vendor selling alcohol free 89 octane. that's all I burn in any of my power equipment. sometimes you will see guys with 7-8 2 gallon cans loading up.

Much better price than the high test.

All the previous comments about octane are correct. I remember all the detonation with the first generation lead free gas, and it took a few years for them to get it right.

HM

The nitro is in the original unopened 5 gallon drum. He is keeping it in the shop for now because he hasn't decided what to do with it. As far as dumping it, we're a blasting company so dumping it into a blast hole with dynamite and ANFO is an easy way to get rid of it.
I would most definitely not use it in the same hole as ANFO. You can however mix with NH4NO3 and get a very brisant explosive. For even more fun you can mix in powdered aluminum which will pump it up even more. These would be fun in the same hole as dynamite.

I would most definitely not use it in the same hole as ANFO. You can however mix with NH4NO3 and get a very brisant explosive. For even more fun you can mix in powdered aluminum which will pump it up even more. These would be fun in the same hole as dynamite.
Magnesium shavings & nitromethane also make for a good show when lit.

I mix powdered aluminum with ammonium nitrate without the fuel oil, for tannerite style targets. The fuel oil kills the reaction for some reason. But in blasting, dynamite sets the ANFO off and makes a gas bubble causing better movement and breakage, which makes for easier digging for the contractors. We blast inside city limits and within a few feet of houses most of the time, so a big show isn't something we really want to see. But I've been in a few quarries lately and that's where we can let our hair down and have a little fun.

I get what you are saying, and I'm not looking for magical power from fuel. I was just looking at free gas and wanted to be sure what I could use it in. I didn't want to run it in my saws if it won't mix with oil very well, or if it's hard on fuel lines. I've run it in my truck and it just changes the exhaust smell.
No worries about plugging up the cats ony truck, it's 78 bronco with a straight piped 460, so no cats to worry about.
I am not familiar with those kind of fuels, so my opinion should be taken with some salt! ;)

Don't run it in Your chainsaw(s), rather feed them with "regular" fuel.

You say You already tried it in Your truck without apparent issues, then use it in the truck instead of dumping it all together (blowing it up).
A old school car engine should be far more forgiving then a small 2-stroke engine. :)

If You decide to blow it up, have fun but stay safe (I occasionally like(d) me some pyrotechnics myself)! :blob2:

So much misinformation...
Do NOT run ethanol anything unless you like replaceing lines and diaphrams.
Do NOT lean out carb settings on oxygenated gas, fatten them.
Leaded exposure? How many hours you running that thing with a pipe to your face? Anyone who survived 70's traffic is reminiscent. When several 1000 lbs. Is ready to drop in your face, are you worried about microsocopic amounts of lead, or your saw stumbling and killing you because you need to hug that tree?

I am not familiar with those kind of fuels, so my opinion should be taken with some salt! ;)

Don't run it in Your chainsaw(s), rather feed them with "regular" fuel.

You say You already tried it in Your truck without apparent issues, then use it in the truck instead of dumping it all together (blowing it up).
A old school car engine should be far more forgiving then a small 2-stroke engine. :)

If You decide to blow it up, have fun but stay safe (I occasionally like(d) me some pyrotechnics myself)! :blob2:
I'll run the race gas in my truck, but not the nitro methane, I'm not sure how that would work

I'll run the race gas in my truck, but not the nitro methane, I'm not sure how that would work
Nitromethane would NOT work well in your truck at all. You need to have a good understanding of how it works and be set up properly to be able to harness it's power. Tuning with Nitro can be quite different than with gas or alky. The fact that you can thow a match onto a pool of it and have no reaction should suggest something about burn rate and energies needed to allow the fuel to burn.

Back