Echo 620 or Makita 7300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Greenerpastures

Hi everyone

If you were to buy a saw in the 60 range, would you go for the Echo 620,
or for a slight increase in weight would you opt for the 7300.
To fill the gap between my 50 cc saws and the 7900.

I realise the Echo is heavy for its cc 's, but it does seem to have torque
that keeps it pulling instead of slowing down a lot,
and heaver again is the 7300, but I can only get one other 60 cc saw
that is cheaper than the 7300, and am not keen on that one.
The Echo is a full 100.00 more than the Makita.

I have a 7900, hens my interest in the 7300, parts being mostly the same,
but I like the build of the Echo 620, and read a lot of good things about them.

I would really like an MS 362, but affording one is something else.

Thanks, john

I would suggest you consider Makita/Dolmar 6100 @fordf150 . They are bullet proof with plenty of torque.
Shep
Hi, thanks for commenting.
The 6100 is the One saw I was trying to avoid, for it is the one saw that keeps the
362 in contention, because the 6100 it is quite expensice in my area,
and if I import one, our greedy animals in the revenue will make sure it is even more expensive,
the 362 then becomes more appealing.
Am looking for better prices locally so no telling yet what will turn up, though either way
I appreciate peoples opinions regarding these models.

Thanks, john

cant really go wrong with a 620, I really liked the one i had as a demo. very comfortable saw to use and pay no attention to the paper specs....it's so comfortable to use that you wont notice the extra weight. I would take a 620 over a 362 any day of the week, its just a nicer saw in every aspect that matters IMHO.

having said that, a 6100 will eat its lunch and a 6400 even more so.

cant really go wrong with a 620, I really liked the one i had as a demo. very comfortable saw to use and pay no attention to the paper specs....it's so comfortable to use that you wont notice the extra weight. I would take a 620 over a 362 any day of the week, its just a nicer saw in every aspect that matters IMHO.

having said that, a 6100 will eat its lunch and a 6400 even more so.
Hi fordf150
Thanks for commenting, I can not get a 6400 here at all, would be nice if I could,
that way my bars and cahins would fit from the 7900.
Are you saying the 6100 is better than the CS 620 regarding power,
I understand the CS 620 is by all accounts a good saw.

Either way I will take time and hopefully find a sale on and see what I can save.

Thanks, john

yes, 6100 is a stronger saw in stock form. ported or even just a muffler mod i cant comment

Wouldn't the 7300 weigh the same as the 7900? Meaning you would most likely just grab the 7900 for the better performance in the same package. I like my 590 if I'd have known about the 620 I'd have gotten that instead.

Wouldn't the 7300 weigh the same as the 7900? Meaning you would most likely just grab the 7900 for the better performance in the same package. I like my 590 if I'd have known about the 620 I'd have gotten that instead.
Hi James Miller, yes the 7300 and 7900 are so close in weight, but as I have a 7900
that does not get much use, the 7300 being a little more economic to run would probably
end up replacing the 7900, and because 7300 's less volume I was hoping it would breath
a little better and require no muffler mod to do so.
It bothers me that such a well made saw would have a muffler that is so choked up,
physics should dictate that a muffler from a 64cc saw should not work properly on a 78cc,
something has to give.

Thanks, john

That's why we like Echo saws. Steve
Hi mountainlake
I have come to realise the 620 has that little something too.
It was a while since I used a saw and having sold my others
I found a lot of information regarding the Makita, which led me to
buy mine, Echo and even Shindaiwa were not used here by the pros,
so I gave them a miss and bought the Makita as a shop sold them locally,
but as luck would have it, they stopped selling them after I got mine, so am
pretty much dependent on the net for spares etc.
If I knew the Makita man was stopping, then I probably would have another
Shindaiwa or Echo today, they are available here, but again, if the pros don't
bite into them, that may change, I like the good old says when there was no
arsing about, a man stood by what he sold, understood it, and would go out
on a limb to get you going, here, its all about the quick buck, and you can be as
hi and dry as you want, no one seems to have it in them to care.
Thats one thing I find on here, that people do actually still care and are decent
enough to chime in.

Thanks, john

I just bought a 620 2 wks ago and came from using a ms390 The 620 hands down changed my mind for ever on a echo I would buy another one in a heartbeat used it 1 full day cutting firewood didn't really notice weight. Runs great tons of torque I'm with the echo all the way
Hi Jwilliams
Very encouraging to hear of your experience, I have not found many with
complaints regarding that saw. Did you find it lean when it arrived, or did the
people you bought of adjust it prior to handing it over.
It would be nice if Echo put an auto tune on it, though more likely to happen
on a newer model, just stirring a bit to see if anyone has heard whether Echo is
looking into auto tune.

Thanks, john

Just some extra info for guys considering the Echo's.....dont waste your money on the CS-600. It is the same saw as a 590 with the addition of a metal wrap handle and slightly better quality B&C. Either buy the 590 or a 620.

T
Just some extra info for guys considering the Echo's.....dont waste your money on the CS-600. It is the same saw as a 590 with the addition of a metal wrap handle and slightly better quality B&C. Either buy the 590 or a 620.
Thats why I considered the 620 over the 600. I have a CS 501, hope it lives up
to expectations.

I just found I can now get a 6100 cheaper than either the 7300 or CS 620,
the 6100 seems to be filling the cc vacancy and the financial vacancy,
but its .325, and I want 3/8.

Regarding parts, I found a dealer in NI that sells Dolmar,
but am not so sure if the 6100 Dolmar and the Makita 6100 are exactly same parts,
given my latest purchase of a Dolmar 7900 muffler,
that I assumed would pop straight on to the Makita 7900,
though will only know when I have it in my hands for comparison and measuring.

Thanks, john

I just found I can now get a 6100 cheaper than either the 7300 or CS 620,
the 6100 seems to be filling the cc vacancy and the financial vacancy,
but its .325, and I want 3/8.

Regarding parts, I found a dealer in NI that sells Dolmar,
but am not so sure if the 6100 Dolmar and the Makita 6100 are exactly same parts,

Thanks, john

rim sprocket, bar, and chain. should be able to get the dealer to swap those out for little to no extra cost

6100 is a 6100

rim sprocket, bar, and chain. should be able to get the dealer to swap those out for little to no extra cost

6100 is a 6100
I wish the dealers in my nick of the woods were like those in yours, am not running anyone
down, but they will do nothing to get a sale, I mentiond on here before, I bought a new 372XP,
went to collect it, had a bar like a toy on it, dealer would not shift, I would have walked out only
a deposit was paid, and that was back when the 372XP was a well regarded
and expensive saw.

I have now tracked down a 6400, money is ok, its new, so its kind of between it and a 6100,
newer verses older tech.

Greener. I have a dealer within a mile from me and when I would get lazy I would drop my chains off when I didn't wanna sharpen them and let him do them for me. He always got on me when I wanted to buy a real saw( an echo). And finally I sold my ms290 and ms390 and bought the 620. Dealer turned out to be pretty cool spoke to him about a muffler mod and. Pulling limiter caps and he said bring it down he would retune it for me once I had it done but to answer your question it wasn't lean out of the box seemed fine to me and to him.

Greener. I have a dealer within a mile from me and when I would get lazy I would drop my chains off when I didn't wanna sharpen them and let him do them for me. He always got on me when I wanted to buy a real saw( an echo). And finally I sold my ms290 and ms390 and bought the 620. Dealer turned out to be pretty cool spoke to him about a muffler mod and. Pulling limiter caps and he said bring it down he would retune it for me once I had it done but to answer your question it wasn't lean out of the box seemed fine to me and to him.
You see, thats the difference in a dealer who knows whats what, and one that is strictly after money.
Was it not better for him to take out the caps and tune the saw, than to take the chance it could get
screwed up, as he probably done it before and his experience would result in the best over all outcome.
Wish we had people like that here.

Back