firewood saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

what cc class is your main go to firewood saw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I always have at least 3 with me. Usually 2 046's and a 5105. covers the vast majority of what I get into.

...most get buy with 50cc or less. Sure its slow and enifficant at times, but most have no other choice. I'm actually more impressed with guys that make do with less...

Truth in that, but I bet you would have thrown a pity party for me after watching me wrestle the last two 28" hardwood trees with the ms260. More patience and a freshly-sharped chain? Probably would have helped. Did I then have to jump on that ms440 last month on CL? Probably not. Got other plans for it and it's good to have around, though, but I wouldn't call it a firewood saw.

Last edited:
We adapt to what we have available. On my property I only cut what mother nature has culled, blow downs, lightning kills, standing dead, or cripples when another tree hits it on the way down. I don't choose them. All of those listed will be cut up for firewood and the small limbs piled neatly for wildlife. They range from 4" to 40" and I take them as they come. In a dream I would drive into a clean, level, dry woods, hop out with my 346XP, take 5 steps, cut only tall 20" white oak that stretches to the canopy with only a small top, cut it up to 4" diameter, load it, and drive away with the mess still strung out behind me. I doubt I'll ever see that place so I have a 50cc, a 60cc and I can imagine a 75-80cc someday. It can pretty well all be done with a 50, 40, or maybe a 30cc, certainly with a misery whip, no thanks. For now my MS362 can best do it all so I voted 60cc but I would rather be able to match the saw to the job each time.

We adapt to what we have available. On my property I only cut what mother nature has culled, blow downs, lightning kills, standing dead, or cripples when another tree hits it on the way down. I don't choose them...

On our property I clear stone walls between fields but leave the big healthy trees. Those decayed, dead or damaged beyond recovery, and leaners that shade the fields are cut. Otherwise, mostly thinning stands of trees to create enough space so the larger, healthy ones can thrive. Clearing undergrowth and cutting trails so the woods are walkable again after 60+ years. More or less land management with firewood as a byproduct. 90% 50cc to 10% 70cc ratio.

Last edited:
My main 3 are a Olympyk 264F Deluxe (61cc), Husqvarna 455 (56cc), and a Homelite XL-12 (54cc). Someone should do a poll on how big of bar you mainly use.

I voted 70cc, tho I use 54 and 70 as my main go to saws. the wild thingy for doing trim work here and there. Most of my milling is done with the orange saw, and the rest of it with the yellow saws, gotta love them yeller saws!:rock::rock:

I voted 70cc as my 372 cuts most of the firewood. That is not to say it gets used the most when I fell a tree my 340 whittles it down until it gets out of it's league. This takes the majority of the time but the big part of the firewood comes from the trunk of the tree that I cut with the 372. There isn't much firewood that comes from little trees. You could cull your firewood cutting to what your 50cc saw can handle but if you want to fill the wood pile up a big tree and a 70cc get the job done. I cut what is available be it a small tree or a big tree.

If all my "firewood" was 18" and under I could get by with a 50 or 60 cc saw, in fact for many years all I had was a 621 Jonsred (16" & 24") and 036 Stihl (16" and 25").

I take most whatever comes my way which can include some large diameter trunks. Sure the 036 with 25" bar can get it done, eventually, but I melted the oil pump bucking up a large burr oak trunk doing that.

I would much rather have the Dolmar 7900 with 24" bar and not need it, that have the 2050 Jonsered with 16" bar and have to suffer through anything over 10-12".

On this "firewood" project we used everything from SP125 to the 2050 and many in between.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

O.K. the 2171 was overkill for the 3" oak in the way, but saw some good use on the 18-14" part of the tree.

Mark

None of the above

When I cut up a tree for firewood, I cut everything in diameter from about 3" up. The smaller stuff as 6' poles to fit in the truck bed, and be buzzed later with 14" bandsaw. For this cutting, 35 or 40 cc saw is best- definitely safest. Especially low fatigue-factor, high maneuverability and controllability. Low noise a PLUS. :msp_thumbup:

For what's on the ground, I limb it first, to remove the <3" stuff and cut the rest to either 6" or 16" long, and haul it out on the fly. Depending on the tree, a small saw sometimes gets it all done. Nothing obsessive here, a/r a 50-55 cc saw gets called in, and mauls to split the larger rounds where cut, to size for jackazzing them.

Routinely cutting alone "out there", safety is a Big Thing. Light, low-vibe saws contribute much. :rock:

When I cut up a tree for firewood, I cut everything in diameter from about 3" up. The smaller stuff as 6' poles to fit in the truck bed, and be buzzed later with 14" bandsaw. For this cutting, 35 or 40 cc saw is best- definitely safest. Especially low fatigue-factor, high maneuverability and controllability. Low noise a PLUS. :msp_thumbup:

For what's on the ground, I limb it first, to remove the <3" stuff and cut the rest to either 6" or 16" long, and haul it out on the fly. Depending on the tree, a small saw sometimes gets it all done. Nothing obsessive here, a/r a 50-55 cc saw gets called in, and mauls to split the larger rounds where cut, to size for jackazzing them.

Routinely cutting alone "out there", safety is a Big Thing. Light, low-vibe saws contribute much. :rock:

I always cut alone (except for my dogs). I still enjoy it but that by itself adds a big factor of SAFETY and FATIGUE and those 2 words work against each other. Of course it gives us the excuse for the multi-saw plan. LOL

There you go heimannm, got me eyeballing that SP125. You surely didn't let that bottom ugly piece lay did you?

I would say I grab my 550xp for most all firewood cutting duties. The ex peeeee really has a lot of get up and go (especially with the MM) and is very light. Also with the autotune it sips fuel. It always amuses me when I let a Farm Boss fan use it...and they are like "holy $(#@!"...lighter and more powerful. If something really big needs bucking the 372XP comes out to play.

I went with the 70cc. I have a 50cc (346xp) and a 94cc (395xp) wish I kept my 70cc cause the 94cc gets heavy quick on the smaller stuff.

I have been really loyal to the J reds 630 's the lately, all three have seen most the action. the 2150 and the ms 250 get the smaller stuff. Love my 250 though .

I would say my main saws are an 029 Super or the MS290, for the majority of my cutting. If I get into some really big wood I will fall it with the 044, and buck it into rounds with an 056AV. Sometimes one of the boys will use an 017 for limbing.

I think that the poll results really speak for themselves.

A 50cc saw will work fine for a lot of people.
A 60cc saw has more punch but not too heavy.
A 70cc saw has great punch but is around the limit for most people to be able to deal with in terms of weight.

You can always try bigger or smaller but for firewood these three classes are were it is at IMHO. :clap:

...A 50cc saw will work fine for a lot of people.
A 70cc saw has great punch but is around the limit for most people to be able to deal with in terms of weight.

Weights for my 50 & 70cc saws topped off with b/c oil & fuel mix:
Stihl MS 260 Pro w/16" bar - 14.8 lbs.
Stihl MS 440 w/20" bar - 20.0 lbs.

We'll see how well my body deals with the extra 5.2 lbs.

Last edited:
I use a cs400 for limbing and brush, 14" bar. Tried a 12" bar on it but kept breaking chains? Really needs a mm and tuned. It's kind of a mutt,,I know a mm and tune will wake it up.

"Uncle Ache:, the 2171 is the outfit that really makes lil' ones outta big 'uns.

Been considering a 50-ish cc saw, trying to sort out any weight savings over Uncle Ache. There are times I don't need the 2171, occasionally,,I mean sometimes,,a 50-ish cc saw would be a work saver,,so I could do more work,,I mean,,another saw on the shelf wouldn't hurt any thing, really! I aint got no stinkin' CAD or nuthin',,It's just that I would like to save a couple pounds when I'm workin' up fire wood. It'd save on fuel usage too. Honestly, look at like this,,the saw would use less fuel and I wouldn't burn so many calories 'cause I wouldn't be working as hard so it's gonna' save on the grocery bill too 'cause I wouldn't need to eat so much...RIGHT? Huh, fellas, am I right?

you just keep repeatin that sales pitch to yourself for a week er so, then spring it on the bosslady when you have it down pat...... jus sayin.........:rock:

Latest posts

Back