Fiskars X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very aware of those#:).
17 HMR, 17 grain V-Max = ME 245 ft. lbs.....185 ft. lbs. at 50 yards.....136 ft. lbs. at 100 yards.....99 ft. lbs. at 150 yards.....72 ft. lbs. at 200 yards.
And those lol.

I figured you knew all about those numbers if you shoot that gun. I guess I wasn't really sure how much experience you had with an animals nervous system when you said, "Maybe if shot in the ear or eye". No one that wanted to drop an animal in it's tracks would shoot it there. Just wasn't sure what your experience level was...hope you didn't take that the wrong way.

The point of posting the velocity and energy numbers was this statement of yours, "Maybe if I was to shoot them at an inch away from the barrel my results would be different. That is what you quoted is muzzle velocity and all things equal I would need to shoot the deer as your buddy did, very close to be able to make a comparison". I wanted to show how much energy the 17 hmr had down range. I explained how the 22 short dropped the pigs at close range with only 75 ft/lbs. of muzzle energy. The 17 hmr has nearly twice that at 100 yards. Not that I would shoot a deer with that caliber but the point was, it has plenty of down range energy to do it. If the deer was shot between the eyes at 100 yards, it would drop in it's tracks. So it's not only about shooting an animal from a few inches away. It's more about how much energy the bullet has at the distance it hits the animal (and bullet design). But I'm sure you know all that :).

Not to detract from this thread. The point of all this is that the Fiskars x27 works great (for me) because it has the right combination of weight and speed. And that combination lends itself very well to swinging all day long.

Pffft , move over X25/27 .

IMG_20151023_190856.jpg

Holy ballistics derail!
don't be upset you encouraged it, sounds like you like a little ballistics talk anyway lol.
You can call it orange if you want too.
We will get to the importance of color in a minute:surprised3:.

I figured you knew all about those numbers if you shoot that gun. I guess I wasn't really sure how much experience you had with an animals nervous system when you said, "Maybe if shot in the ear or eye". No one that wanted to drop an animal in it's tracks would shoot it there. Just wasn't sure what your experience level was...hope you didn't take that the wrong way.

The point of posting the velocity and energy numbers was this statement of yours, "Maybe if I was to shoot them at an inch away from the barrel my results would be different. That is what you quoted is muzzle velocity and all things equal I would need to shoot the deer as your buddy did, very close to be able to make a comparison". I wanted to show how much energy the 17 hmr had down range. I explained how the 22 short dropped the pigs at close range with only 75 ft/lbs. of muzzle energy. The 17 hmr has nearly twice that at 100 yards. Not that I would shoot a deer with that caliber but the point was, it has plenty of down range energy to do it. If the deer was shot between the eyes at 100 yards, it would drop in it's tracks. So it's not only about shooting an animal from a few inches away. It's more about how much energy the bullet has at the distance it hits the animal (and bullet design). But I'm sure you know all that :).
I don't know much about the nervous system, except My finger gets real twitchy when I get an animal in the sights/scope, kinda like when a log is standing upright and I have my Fiskars in hand LOL.
The point in shooting an animal in those areas is to avoid the skull all together. The hope is to penetrate or get around the skull and that may or may not stop them in their tracks. It takes a great shot, something the .17 does well. I have shot many animals and dropped them in their tracks(head shots), particularly deer. I had a place on the river and if you shot them anywhere else they were in the water (one time in the river in December was enough for me:)). I have also seen shots hit just off square and bounce off like it was steel.
I never took any offense, I am thick skinned as well as having a thick skull :dumb2:. Just a good conversation :cheers:.
I am aware of those specs. "(and bullet design)" I think this is one of the main issues I have with the .17 ballistics specs. I have seen what a 17 does to ballistic gel as well as a 22. the problem is similar to hp specs on saws, sure you get that analogy. The point is real world is one thing and on paper another.
I know a little, as a kid who grew up going to gun shows at an early age as well as working at a gun club.
I had a lot of time around guns, also was the only 14yr old I know who was reloading his own shotgun shells on his own little mec:yes:.
That being said I feel I have a very limited knowledge base in comparison to those on this site :clap:.
I love my Fiskars as well, just used it today.

Pffft , move over X25/27 .

IMG_20151023_190856.jpg
That thing "looks Sweet". Let us know how it does. Is that one the same length as the x25.

That thing is UGLY! Draw an eyeball up on the head and it would look like an orange Flamingo.
I must admit it does look like a flamingo, but it's orange, and I love orange:rock:.
There may be a lightly used x27 on the trading post.
You can call it orange if you want too.
Now comes the importance of the color. It would be harder to lose as well.

That thing "looks Sweet". Let us know how it does. Is that on the same length as the x25.

I must admit it does look like a flamingo, but it's orange, and I love orange:rock:.
There may be a lightly used x27 on the trading post.

Now comes the importance of the color. It would be harder to lose as well.

If the shipping and asking price are reasonable, I would be interested in your x27...PM me.

Have put around 20 cords on my X27. Didn't read through all 6 pages, but the metallurgy is shoddy. Even blunted, it still works just as well as a 6 pound maul in RED OAK, and it's easier to swing. For what it's worth, I'll be pinching my pennies for a Gransfors Bruks. The idea of a hand made tool of world class quality is appealing to me.

Have put around 20 cords on my X27. Didn't read through all 6 pages, but the metallurgy is shoddy. Even blunted, it still works just as well as a 6 pound maul in RED OAK, and it's easier to swing. For what it's worth, I'll be pinching my pennies for a Gransfors Bruks. The idea of a hand made tool of world class quality is appealing to me.
Thats a lot of pennies, but if you like the quality.
If the shipping and asking price are reasonable, I would be interested in your x27...PM me.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind :).
You might talk with ZeroLife as the shipping would probably be cheaper:).
I was kinda joking as I normally don't resell hand tools, but you never know.
I do really like the color of the stihl.
Is it yellow or orange svk:laugh:.

I really like the look of the Husky S2800 but have never seen one in person. I presently use the black version of the X-27 and although I have never sharpened it I find it splits way better now than when I first got it. I suspect that has more to do with me learning to use it than it has to do with the splitter itself. The edge is not as sharp as when I started but the wedges are spending much more time waiting for the next time I need them.

There seem to be many knock-offs of the Fiskars X27, one of which is a Collins. I just have to wonder about the quality.

71HfNvA4ccL._SY355_.jpg
Used one for many years ,then I got an x27 ... And guess what I still use the Collins unless the wood is easy splitting straight grain like red oak .the fiskars will not cure world hunger

IMG_20151031_164846.jpg

It works for me , but don't second guess a Fiskars purchase , I'm very happy with mine and won't part with it anytime soon .

IMG_20151107_174344.jpg

When busting up a stubborn round I can get it from both sides :)
How much was the Stihl again? Also for reference what does a fiskars cost in Canada?

The fiskars got a workout today. I brought out the fiskars as well as the 8lb collins and the Ames True Temper 4lb.

The wood was large twisty grained maple. I cut the big rounds to about 20" length amd started banging away. The fiskars and the 8lb split duty. It wasnt long that i sat the 8lb down and just used the fiskars. After the first couple rounds i started noodling.

My take away was that they both are about the same for effectivness, but the 8lb will make your muscles big and sweat will pour. I like this fiskars.

g32sfeq.jpg

RDDdFm6.jpg

How much was the Stihl again? Also for reference what does a fiskars cost in Canada?

When I bought my x25 it was 59$ , my HB large splitting axe sells for 199$(Paid 99$) and the Stihl sells for 99$ but I can't disclose my price on that one LOL
Almost 30% off for American funds up here if you guys are looking for deals , bring me up the Huskee one please so I can compare :)

Back