Got your wood in yet??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost done. This is the last weekend and I will be done. Got maybe 1 cord of maple thats going to get cut and split that has been down for a few years. Some of the smaller round (<10") might be punk but the large trunk it well seasoned and ready to cut split and burn. I also just found a mystery log that the electric company took down that is dry as paper and >26". I'm going to ask the land owner if I can have it for firewood. I've been eyeing this dead standing tree for a few years now and am happy its down. Will be real happ0y if I can take it.

Just got permission from the land owner tonight. Will be cutting at first light tomorrow. I'll post my success in the scrounging thread.

You guys must not use your stoves 24/7. I have an efficient stove and run it from October to April and I use 6-7 cords.

Yup. Tried to keep it really simple. Last year, actually used around 2 cords. (I really like efficient stoves.)
What are you heating a well insulated dog house? Is it supplemental heat or primary? Almost seems impossible. I guess it becomes really easy to get ahead when you burn that little. Even the guys in TX burn 2 cord.

What are you heating a well insulated dog house? Is it supplemental heat or primary? Almost seems impossible. I guess it becomes really easy to get ahead when you burn that little. Even the guys in TX burn 2 cord.

No. Sole source. Not at all impossible. Morso makes some really efficient stoves and ~6' of silver-painted (for low-IR, son't want to condense stuff there) adds a few percent efficiency. I generally give away about as much wood as I burn. Don't ask.

You guys must not use your stoves 24/7. I have an efficient stove and run it from October to April and I use 6-7 cords.
Same here...I'm covered for this year, and likely next. Got to start hauling hard this month...got to get my trailer finished!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

I forget that some of you live in a much warmer climate!
L-O-L ‼
You live in Minnesota... near everyone else lives in a warmer climate‼ I'm not so sure you could even heat "a well insulated dog house" with 2-cord... LOL‼
If you compare average temperature from where I'm at, to SW Connecticut where CTYank lives, the November through March (average) runs 15°-25° warmer (depending on month)... and I ain't even in Minnesota‼ And if you look at the daily, they warm up much earlier in the day, cool off later. When temps drop below the freezing mark, even 10° is huge... really huge. Still, it's difficult for us Midwestern dwellers to believe 2 cord... I mean, even if the appliance was 100% efficient, there's only so many BTU's available in a cord of wood. Heck... I've already burned a ½ cord and it ain't even got cold enough for gloves yet‼

L-O-L ‼
You live in Minnesota... near everyone else lives in a warmer climate‼ I'm not so sure you could even heat "a well insulated dog house" with 2-cord... LOL‼
If you compare average temperature from where I'm at, to SW Connecticut where CTYank lives, the November through March (average) runs 15°-25° warmer (depending on month)... and I ain't even in Minnesota‼ And if you look at the daily, they warm up much earlier in the day, cool off later. When temps drop below the freezing mark, even 10° is huge... really huge. Still, it's difficult for us Midwestern dwellers to believe 2 cord... I mean, even if the appliance was 100% efficient, there's only so many BTU's available in a cord of wood. Heck... I've already burned a ½ cord and it ain't even got cold enough for gloves yet‼
I've seen quite a few on here that are north of me. I'm only a couple hours from you spider. I've burned over half a cord as well. I have so much dead standing elm to cut that even if I didn't have 7 cords ready to go that I wouldn't be worried. You are correct that 10 degrees makes a huge difference! My stove can maintain 70 degrees in our house until it gets below 10 degrees. That's the breaking point and then the furnace has to help out. Our gas bill hasn't been over $60 in a month since burning wood. With a 3300 sq ft house with a little stove I would say that is just about amazing.

I have 3 cord of pine stacked and a cord of Doug fir waiting to be split. I had 6 cord of black locust stacked but I got $200 a cord for it so it's gone now!! I may have a good stand of locust to cut come the first of the year, hopefully!

I always try to get next years wood in this year. Hard to get ahead when the wifey wants it roasting in the house. Last year, I had a little left over, the year before that, a little more. Some of what I have is two years old, some cut for two years, but only split for one, but the wood shed has about 6 or 7 cords in the dry. Yesterday, I cut and split about 3 cords of free wood, already logged and stacked beside the road. cant beat that. I have a 40+in maple on the ground next to wood shed ready to work up. Guy that gave me the 3 cords is putting in a new driveway to his house and said i could have the hardwoods. No ideal how much that will be, but they started digging with the trackhoe yesterday and i suspect 8-9 cords or more. with luck, i can get the trackhoe operator to load my trailer with tree lenght logs to hual home to be processed when I have the time. Even with a super cold winter, I should be set for this year, and with the free stuff I am getting now, I might finally get ahead of the stove.

You guys have to realize that CT lives very near the ocean which also warms things up considerably from someone say living further in at that same latitude. Plus he does a lot of volunteer cutting so only brings home the most primo stuff. So between those two variables and his fanatical attention to details I wouldn't doubt it. Although we don't know his square footage either to substantiate further.

That's what I'm hoping. Replacing original single pane windows with the double pane gas filled.

Superinsulation is your best energy dollar spent. *Nothing* else is a cheap and effective medium to long range, which I will define as a ten to thirty year mortgage. It works, I worked on a few way back when the concept came out. It is simply unreal how little outside heat and air conditioning you need once your home is *truly* superinsulated. Much more common in Europe where they have had high energy bills like forever and the forests have been cut down to nubbins for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superinsulation

You guys have to realize that CT lives very near the ocean which also warms things up considerably from someone say living further in at that same latitude. Plus he does a lot of volunteer cutting so only brings home the most primo stuff. So between those two variables and his fanatical attention to details I wouldn't doubt it. Although we don't know his square footage either to substantiate further.
:clap::clap:

Superinsulation is your best energy dollar spent. *Nothing* else is a cheap and effective medium to long range, which I will define as a ten to thirty year mortgage. It works, I worked on a few way back when the concept came out. It is simply unreal how little outside heat and air conditioning you need once your home is *truly* superinsulated. Much more common in Europe where they have had high energy bills like forever and the forests have been cut down to nubbins for centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superinsulation
mine aint superinsulated,,as its a 1908 house. would be extremely costly,,even with me doing it all..we did 3/4 inch pink foam around the house, new siding, and new windows!! HUGE difference..cut the wood consumption by 60%!!!! doesn't feel like im sitting outside, either!!!

^^^Same here. Were you able to insulate your attic. We have a crawl space and I was able to blow in insulation at about 6-8 in. in my rafters. Made a huge difference!

Latest posts

Back