I need a new climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate the advice but...

Different climbers vary in many things, and I'm certainly no exception to that.

I run 14 inch bars on my ms200's and keep cutting until the wood diameter exceeds 28 inches, at which point I then use a Husky 365 with a 20 inch bar
until the wood diameter exceeds 40 inches, then an ms440 etc all the way to an 88 that I very rarely have need of.

Admittedly I use the ms200's for all they're worth, and have repeatedly stated they're the best for demolition work.

I'd just like to see them get even better, you know get the bugs out, all saws have weaknesses, and it's forums like this that allow climbers and saw manufactureres to improve their respective skills.

Work Safe

jomoco

Jomoco,

I run a 16" bar on my 200t and as soon as the wood is 16", I want some darn horsepower up in the tree.

Why would you struggle your way around a 28" chunk of spar with a tiny wee saw when some power and bar length will get it done faster, easier?

I'm all for improvements to the 200t, Stihl is, I believe, also listening.

It took a couple of years, but the gas tank compensation tube has now moved out of harms way. I still think the gap between the tank and carb cover at the back should be filled in, it stihl grabs twigs at annoying moments.

In fact the entire butt-end of the 200t could be less brick shaped, more rounded like the 192t would be very nice.

And where is the use of carbon fibre? A six-way layup instead of injection molded plastic of the top handle, chain brake lever and cover, and the top tube would be way strong and weigh about the same as a bag of potato chips.

CF's expensive, but it's a niche saw with a high price already. I'd pay more for a ms200t CF special!

RedlineIt

I guess I'm a paranoid wimp

To answer your question Redline,

I do it because I can, it's precisely because the ms200's are capable of being totally buried in wood and still perform well that I use them.

Conservation of energy is an important principle of climbing that I try to make the most of.

I've hauled about a dozen tree workers off to the emergency room that didn't respect the power of today's chain saws in the course of my career, most of these injuries ocurred with bigger saws like the 044.

One of my favorite little tricks is switching hands when my ms200 is totally buried in a cut so that my left hand is on the top handle with my pinkie finger controlling the throttle, and my right hand grasping the chain saw lanyard on the back of the saw so that I can achieve better leverage to work the saw through the cut.

As long as my chains are razor sharp, and my bars are straight and true, I find no need to use any bigger saw than I have to when making my cuts.
Call me a paranoid wimp, but my methods have served me well for more than thirty years now.

Work Safe

jomoco

jomoco

Energy conservation to reduce fatigue definitely results in safer work. I also like to use just the right saw for the wood infront of me. I prefer the 14/16" bar in the tree way over the 25" bar on the 460. Even when I'm blocking out wood on the ground that 25" bar seems too long. We blocked out 48" willow spar that a competitor left behind and that was the only time the 25" felt right:chainsaw:

I saw a little Echo top handle at Home Depot. I think it was a 330T. $250. It was a special order nobody picked up, $250 was the regular price. I'm gonna wait and see if they knock it down a little just to unload it. I'm sure it's no powerhouse but for that price it'd be great. I'd feel much better if I dropped that little Echo than a 200T!

you were correct........

I see the heavey with the 200, but I want one. no problems with the new caps YET, but you will!!!!!!!!
Andy

i now hate them.they seem to suck alot more on the 200 than the 192.guess i'll stick with the old faithful SWEDISH saws.:hmm3grin2orange:

I don't think it matters on the model, I think it's a batch problem. One batch is great, the other batch of them sucks!!!

Echo makes a new saw just like cs300 or 301 it
is built just like your saw but has more disp. it is
red I think its a cs346 you do have to special order
it but I have had a cs 300 still going strong but just
bought the husky for backup so far so good but
I have always liked them little echo's lite and durable
I don't like the new style 330t or what ever its called
I like the style you have. You can also order a shortblock
and upgrade disp. on your saw>:chainsaw:

Back