looking for bigger stihl.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tditodd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
As you all know with a OWS you need wood,so with that a saw,and a back up saw.So I am looking for a back up saw. I have a stihl 290 , 18" But now looking for a little bigger stihl. Not looking to cut down any redwoods now so no 40". I 98% cut hardwood. And with out starting a firestormwhats a good size to look for? Don't have to be a new one. Could be one of stihls old standby. Just looking for a good hard working saw. Thanks

As you all know with a OWS you need wood,so with that a saw,and a back up saw.So I am looking for a back up saw. I have a stihl 290 , 18" But now looking for a little bigger stihl. Not looking to cut down any redwoods now so no 40". I 98% cut hardwood. And with out starting a firestormwhats a good size to look for? Don't have to be a new one. Could be one of stihls old standby. Just looking for a good hard working saw. Thanks

there are lots of good stihls to choose from. If you are happy with your 290, but need bigger, and only cut for yourself, for the money the ms390 is a good buy. Its the big brother of your ms290. I know everyone here is going to tell you to buy a ms361, never tried one myself, but supposed to be a great saw. Little more in the $ department and probably not easy to find used. A 044 is a great saw you can find used. A lot to choose from really. If I were you I'd check out all your local dealers, stihl or not and try out every saw you can. I went to my dealer a year ago to buy a used stihl, and came home with a husky 346xp, and at the time I was a dedicated stihl guy. Now I realize all the company's have good saws, and bad saws. My advise is to try every saw you can get your hands on, and see what feels right for you. Sounds like something in the 60 cc class is what you probably want. :rockn:

I would recommend a used 044 if you can find a good one that has not been abused. If you want to spend the $$$ go for a new MS441, that is the newer generation of the old 044. I have a MS361 and they are a great saw but I think you are looking for something that will run a 24" bar or so, correct?

I have seem on another site the 044 keeps comming up.Is there a fair price on a used 044 (ballpark) Yes a 24" bar would be more then enough. Thanks

I bought an 028wb in 1985 and cut alot of wood with it 'till 4 years ago I picked up an 046. Wow, what a difference!! I wish I'd have bought a big saw back then. I still have the 028, but it's strictly a backup. Well, enough rambling, the moral of this story is buy the biggest, baddest saw you can afford. Everybody told me it's too heavy, but while they're still cuttin' and carryin', I'm already loaded and drinkin' a cold one.

Mike

Ms 4440 Ms 441 ms 460
or husky 570 , 574 585 g go to bailiieys get biget doogs and alots of chains . a bit longer bard say you usea 20 inch bar with bigger dogs use a 24 inch bar keep em shar get a asortment of chans from fuill chisle ot chipers . avoid safty chains tey slow t yo udown alot and seem to catch more crap aland oy have to clan your cluctch cover and cluctch alto more . Somedealres will not sell anyhing butsafty chaisn in soem staes MAss is a good example I just go ot NH when i am ther . or i order a bundch from baileys .
also check them uit for prices along with North west power equipent . bothare very competative oh you cannot buy stihl stuff on line

Latest posts

Back