Looking for opinions on a "big saw" purchase: Still 661vs Husky 576 xp autotune or wait

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hustihler

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, it's been a while and I'm just looking for some opinions for my next saw purchase. I currently own 5 saws- 2 Stihls: 261 non m-tronic, and 009L, and 3 Husqvarnas: 346xp, 550xp, and 562xp. I'm a firewood scavenger and my current saw line-up fits 95% of my needs, but occasionally I run across that 30" plus log(plus I would need the saw for noodling these bigger rounds), and in those times I often wish for a larger saw. I will say that I've tended to stay away from this larger logs since my main firewood cutting partner, my Dad, is approaching 70 and it's just too difficult to process these larger rounds into firewood, but being a firewood scavenger-beggars can't be choosers all the time. I live in Virginia and all the wood that I cut is predominantly hardwoods and the bigger stuff I usually come across is almost always Oak. I'm looking for a saw to permanently wear a 24" or 28" bar, and I've been looking hard at the Stihl 661, or a Husqvarna 576 xp auto-tune version, or simply waiting for the next auto-tune/m-tronic versions of the Stihl 461/442 or Husqvarna's 372 xp replacement. I'm a huge fan of the auto-tune/m-tronic technology, even with it's growing pains, I absolutely love my 562xp and 550xp, even though I had early problems with both; in the near future I plan on selling my 261 to get the m-tronic version and adding a Stihl 241 to the stable. I also believe that bigger is not always better, I like to use the lightest tool that will effectively do the job and I'm honestly leaning towards an auto-tune/m-tronic 70cc saw, just the offerings currently are very limited, thus my interest in the 661, although I feel it might be overkill for what I need it for. I'm also in no big hurry and I don't mind spending the money, but if I can buy a 70cc and it fits the bill over a 661, and I can save a couple hundred bucks and a couple of pounds, I'd rather go that route. Also I'm wondering the reliability record of both the 576xp auto-tune and the 661, from what I've read on here, it's been a mixed bag on both saws. Also, I'd love to hear if anyone has any info on when the next line-up of 70cc auto-tune/m-tronic saws are set to hit the market, like I said I'm in no rush to buy. Thanks in advance!

Dude that wall of text!

I love my 70cc 441cm. I understand the 461cm is available now. That would be high on my list, although I do like the husky saws.

Sounds to me, that if you get a 70cc saw you will not be satisfied. There is no rush so wait till you can get the 661 or equiv.

When I bought my ms461, I knew I was buying more then I needed, but it is what I wanted, and the itch was scratched. Mission Accomplished.

If your goign to spend $1k on a new saw, bump up $200 more and get the 661 CM. It is a beast but it does the job like a hot knife through butter. I have both a 362 CM and a 661 CM. The 362 has a 25" bar on it and can handle anything that size just fine, but if you are getting into bigger stuff the 661 CM does better. I have both a 28" bar and 36" bar for the 661. The 28" bar with the log guards on the saw is about the same length as the 25" bar on the 362. The 36" bar is used for bigger stuff and handles it just fine.

Not on your list, but check out a 7910. If im quartering or noodling I prefer it. The 372 and 576 tend to plug up the clutch cover for me. I added the west coast dogs and the wide discharge clutch cover. It helped immensely, but the Makita/dolmar never had a issue. So thats a decent amount of spare change to upgrade the husky. I have no experience with the stihl saws in that size. But the 088 is a noodling beast. Heavy but definitely no problem with power or clearing noodles.

But honestly most of my cutting and quartering is done with my 372 xtorq or 7910. They are light and pull a 32" bar without any grief. Yeah a bigger saw would be better. I have a 385 but lighter is better in my book. You may not cut for hours on end, but when you do. You definitely notice the weight difference at the end of the day.

Steven

+1 for "the alternative". Just light enough. And really torquey. I don't see the value of a 576 between a 372 or 390.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

I'd try a cs2172 jonsered saw with a 24" bar. I run one quite a bit and love it. Cuts like butter. And the prices are not bad at all and just like the huskys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently got a Husky 390xp and I'm well pleased with it , got it to fill the gap between my 372xp / ms461 and my 395xp and 660's . Since getting it I haven't picked up a 395 or 660 .
I had a 576xp , but to be honest I preferred my 372xp , so the 576 was sold .

I tell ya go check out the ms461.....i got one for the huge stuff I run into also....it can't be stopped with the 25" bar......I absolutely love the saw and now I don't pass up any wood no mater how big it is....I only cut hardwood....

sounds like you only go first class with saws probably don't want to hear about building/rebuilding, not to be an idiot but how much firewood does it take to justify cost of new 661. after watching videos of the 660 chinese clones I ordered the kit from hurtzl for $189+ postage and am looking forward to trying to kill it with a mill , may even get a mahle/caber cylinder set from bailey's and oem seals and bearings if the cheap one's doesn't look right. and I get to learn a whole lot about putting a saw together. Just a kinda noobee $0.02

Don't let the haters tell you that you don't need a 600 series stihl for firewooding. I absolutely love my 441cm and if now you have to move up to the 660 to get the m-tronic carb, so be it!

That said, a 261c would suffice and be totally awesome and sufficient as well.

Usually someone comes to this site looking for a MS180c, and then he is instantly told he needs a Ms362 or bigger for occasional use, got to love the internet!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the replies, I think I may take a more serious look at a 70cc auto-tune/m-tronic option, even if I have to wait for a new saw to hit the market. I think the 661 may just be way more saw than I need, and since all my money is hard-earned, I'd like to spend it wisely. In the meantime, I may just purchase a longer bar(24" or 28") for my 562xp and see how I like the results. I've considered this option before, but I felt that running that long of a bar on a 60cc saw was pushing the limits of what these size saws were capable of, especially since I cut almost exclusively Eastern Hardwoods and I believe that noodling big rounds would put added strain on a saw this size-if in wrong about this, someone please correct me, and I've always believed in the old saying "right tool for the right job". Thanks again and I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming.

I have a 362 and I have never ran a 25" bar on it....I have thought about trying it just to see, but since I got the 461, I haven't even considered it....

Some say it will pull it ok.....I bet in silver maple, and other softer woods it would be ok....of course if you are burying the bar constantly, I am sure it would suffice for the time being....

Thanks for all the replies, I think I may take a more serious look at a 70cc auto-tune/m-tronic option, even if I have to wait for a new saw to hit the market. I think the 661 may just be way more saw than I need, and since all my money is hard-earned, I'd like to spend it wisely. In the meantime, I may just purchase a longer bar(24" or 28") for my 562xp and see how I like the results. I've considered this option before, but I felt that running that long of a bar on a 60cc saw was pushing the limits of what these size saws were capable of, especially since I cut almost exclusively Eastern Hardwoods and I believe that noodling big rounds would put added strain on a saw this size-if in wrong about this, someone please correct me, and I've always believed in the old saying "right tool for the right job". Thanks again and I appreciate the feedback, keep it coming.
My 562 pulls a 24 fine. I live in WNC. Plenty of hardwoods here. 90% hardwood forest.

Latest posts

Back