Mixed gas anxiety

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of gas stations sell K-1 clear kerosene here in Virginia. We use it in kerosene heaters. They don't sell kerosene in Montana? Maybe it's because we're closer to the coast and all the coastal refineries...?
Never seen a kerosene pump here in southern Ontario. Seen a home heating oil pump or 2 but that is basically died diesel.

Lots of gas stations sell K-1 clear kerosene here in Virginia. We use it in kerosene heaters. They don't sell kerosene in Montana? Maybe it's because we're closer to the coast and all the coastal refineries...?
No they don't. And the stopped selling kerosene at the pump years ago in MI where I use to live.
We actually have three oil refineries in town, one more a few hours north and several in Wyoming that are fairly close.

Huh. What do you all heat with out there? Does everybody burn wood?

I'm surprised you have oil refineries in MT. I figured refineries would need to be near either a seaport (to ship in crude and ship out asphalt) and/or a pipeline (like Colonial Pipeline here on the East Coast) to carry the distillates away...preferably both.

I'm surprised you have oil refineries in MT. I figured refineries would need to be near either a seaport (to ship in crude and ship out asphalt) and/or a pipeline (like Colonial Pipeline here on the East Coast) to carry the distillates away...preferably both.
Yes, 4 oil refineries in MT and another 4 in Wyoming IIRC. We have pipelines going into the city from all directions...
People in rural areas heat with propane, fuel oil, coal or wood depending on what's available.NorthAmerican_RefineryCapacity-1030x729.jpg

I have no knowledge of Montana but here in the midwest (Iowa/Illinois0 we have ethanol and bio diesel plants everywhere, Now I cannot speak to what level of "refinement" the oil is they use to mix with it. On the west side of the river (Iowa) there is a pipeline that bring oils out of I believe the Dakota's. We have il wells dotted all across southern Illinois so that oil was to go somewhere. Now I have heard most of those wells are not in production currently but I cannot confirm that.

Here we have local stations that sell Kero at the pump. Some stop when race season arrives and switch the pumps over to race gas (CAM2Turbo Blue, etc) Not good to mix those two up though....

We also have a few stations that sell CNG and LP for vehicles.

Yes, 4 oil refineries in MT and another 4 in Wyoming IIRC. We have pipelines going into the city from all directions...
People in rural areas heat with propane, fuel oil, coal or wood depending on what's available.View attachment 977894
Don’t forget electricity. We did finally get electricity in MT. I have even seen a few Tesla “pumps”. I haven’t figured out the mix ratio for electric saws yet…

I go by personal experience, #1, and testing results if available, #2. With Amsoil I've seen both - I've seen the testing, and I've seen engines with MANY hours I've torn down, both 4 and 2-stroke, that flat amazed me. I can confidently say in that case, you DO get what you pay for. I've also seen oil tests of Walmart branded oil, and most would be shocked to find that it knocked some other more well-known-for-decades name brands right off their perches. It's not as bad as you would think!

A sort-of related topic, there's a running joke about Walmart batteries: NEVERstart. Funny thing is, each and every single Everstart battery I've used, regardless of the application from big diesels to lawn tractors, I've got a minimum of 8 years out of. I've heard similar stories all across the net in automotive, truck, motorcycle, ATV / dirt bike, and *** (Outdoor Power Equipment) forums as well. Truth be told, there's only 3 battery manufacturers in the North American market, so no matter what brand you buy, it was built by one of those 3.

Oil threads are funny, since there's a lot of strong opinions about lots of oils. But facts are facts, and there's no getting around that. Sure, you can run cheap oil, but you'll be scraping carbon and rebuilding engines much sooner than if you had run a top tier oil, especially when things get "out-of-spec", like a coolant leak on a liquid cooled engine, or cooling fins and fans that get blocked off my mouse nests and mud on a air cooled engine. When that happens, you can bet I'd want the expensive oil in that engine, 2 or 4-stroke, air or liquid cooled. The expensive oil will live, while the cheaper oil probably won't.

Remember, I make good money because of cheap oil. :)
I, too, have seen th3e tests. That is why I have been using Amsoil in my cars, trucks and tractors for decades. I have never had any oil-related problems. I only recently found out that they make 2 cycle oil. I intend to buy it, but I have a supply of other stuff right now. Trying to decide whether to use it up or dump it and switch to Amsoil. Oh, by the way, the saying "You get what you pay for " is optimistic. You won't get more than you pay for, but you can easily get less.

I gave up worrying about what oil I run in my vehicles a long time ago. Run what your owner's manual says to run, and change it often. After that, I buy whatever is cheap from a brand I recognize.

Our local Bimart has Chevron 5w-30 and Havoline 5w-30(same stuff) in 5 quart jugs. They go on rebate every so often, comes to $7 for the 5 quart jug, or slightly over a buck a quart. Buy oil filters by the case, this means oil changes are ~$10, and I change it often. It's not the best oil in the world, but it definitely means the rest of the car will be shot before the engine is. Anything beyond that isn't on my radar.

Here we have local stations that sell Kero at the pump. Some stop when race season arrives and switch the pumps over to race gas (CAM2Turbo Blue, etc) Not good to mix those two up though....

We also have a few stations that sell CNG and LP for vehicles.
Almost every gas station here used to sell LP for vehicles and bbq tanks now only 1 place has it.

The few gas stations that sell KERO have a hose on the pump that is only three feet long.
AND, the KERO was clear, not dyed, so you could not tell if it was being used in a vehicle.
(KERO is not "road fuel" taxed)
KERO used to be cheaper than diesel, people were putting KERO in the diesel vehicles, to save money.

So, they installed the short hose, and two pipes that block you from driving near the pump.
That way, only 5 gallon cans could be filled, rather than the fuel tank of a vehicle.
(KERO was SUPPOSED to be used for heat, or cleaning, not a road vehicle fuel)

The few gas stations that sell KERO have a hose on the pump that is only three feet long.
AND, the KERO was clear, not dyed, so you could not tell if it was being used in a vehicle.
(KERO is not "road fuel" taxed)
KERO used to be cheaper than diesel, people were putting KERO in the diesel vehicles, to save money.

So, they installed the short hose, and two pipes that block you from driving near the pump.
That way, only 5 gallon cans could be filled, rather than the fuel tank of a vehicle.
(KERO was SUPPOSED to be used for heat, or cleaning, not a road vehicle fuel)
We have many stations here that sell non-road use diesel at a regular pump. The hoses are at least the same length (many times longer), the only difference is the nozzle diameter. You just pull your tractor or whatever equipment up and fuel her. What are folks doing that don't have non tax/non road use diesel at the pump? Of course we have large tanks on the farm with fuel delivered but what about tree services and contractors that do not have storage tanks. The majority here just pull into the station at the end of the day and fuel their chipper, skidloader, mini ex, etc right from the pump.

I am sure every single person has heard someone say "you get what you pay for" Possibly one of the most common phrases spoken. Is it true? Of course it is...in some cases but not all. In the case of oils and lubricants that is a wide open subject that in all reality has no definitive answer as it is highly subject to one's beliefs. Lets take for example 10w30 motor oil. As of right now Wal Mart (not supporting Wal Mart just using them as an example) shows a 5 quart jug of their house brand 10w30 full synthetic high mileage oil at $17.98, they also list Castrol GTX 10w30 full synthetic high mileage oil at $21.92, and Mobil 1 10w30 full synthetic high mileage oil at $27.47. All are 5 quart jugs and should all be comparable ONLY on their basic description. Now that is a huge difference in price. The question is do you get a better oil by paying more. Of course that is up to your own beliefs. Now if you are one who thinks WalMart has someone in the back wearing a blue smock packing their house brand oil you are sadly mistaken. I do not have any knowledge of where it is being refined but I will assure you it is not in a place only producing/packaging WalMart branded oil. It is coming from a refiner that is producing many different "branded oils" and I am bet a dollar to a donut that it is right along side a big brand name oil in their factory. Now am I saying the WalMart brand at $17.98 is identical to the Mobil 1 at $27.47 no I am not because I do not know.

This is a non-oil example that may shed a bit of information. I assume most everyone knows of the Heinz company. Hard not to know of Heinz Ketchup. Well in the beginning one of their big selling products was soup and they sold lots of it. Now when was the last time anyone on here went into the supermarket and bought a can of Heinz "branded" soup? I am betting no one has and if they honestly have well then they have some age and wisdom behind them. Now does that mean Heinz no longer makes soup? No it does not mean that. Now anyone living on the Iowa/Illinois border and some surrounding states I am betting you are familiar with the HyVee stores. Most of us are familiar with Aldi stores. Anyone ever bought a can of house brand soup at HyVee or Aldi If so you were buying Heinz soup and more than likely made in the Muscatine Iowa plant. Now is the soup you buy for $1.32 at HyVee better than what you buy at Aldi for $0.82. Remember you get what you pay for. I will tell you it is not. In the can is the EXACT same soup. The only difference is the label that goes on it and in the case of Aldi they used to require the cases to have blue shrink wrap instead of clear. How about Kosher soup. Is it better? You want to know the difference, the Rabi would come into the plant and bless it thus it was better. That Rabi used to give my father all types of liquor but dad never touched it. He just smiled and thanked him.

Now as for cheap oil, who knows. i know I do not use it as just like many have said it is actually a small part of the total cost of operation for MOST

Walmart also has the mobile one in a 12 qt box for 54 dollars. Sams sells 6 Qts for 39 but once a sell monthly for 29.99.

I own a shop, change oil/ fluids as well as rebuild replace and repair all manner of 100k dollar vehicles......and yep, i still get mixed gas anxiety although I've burned thousands of gallons on the farm in the woods and in the trees. Never had an issue. Still have the anxiety. Doesn't bother me a bit too pull a 10k dollar engine in a 70k dollar truck.. or car. Lol.

Ive been using the Lucas mix at 45/1 for several years now. My dad logged his whole life and never had any real drama over oil either. Long as you use some.

And our vehicles have burned many gallon of mixed gas. From our new atvs to trucks. Always less than 2 gallon since that's what our mixed jugs are and we only dump it to mix fresh. Never seen an issue and I have put 400k miles on a couple vehicle. 300k on 5 vehicle.

We have many stations here that sell non-road use diesel at a regular pump. The hoses are at least the same length (many times longer), the only difference is the nozzle diameter. You just pull your tractor or whatever equipment up and fuel her. What are folks doing that don't have non tax/non road use diesel at the pump? Of course we have large tanks on the farm with fuel delivered but what about tree services and contractors that do not have storage tanks. The majority here just pull into the station at the end of the day and fuel their chipper, skidloader, mini ex, etc right from the pump.
All the off road diesel pumps I've been around use the same hose and novel size as regular diesel. That's why many guys run their trucks on off road fuel.

Latest posts

Back