MS 500i Backorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had called the Murdochs in Hamilton back when I was looking and they were on backorder and taking more orders. RDO in Missoula, said backorders were 2 months out. I haven't been in either store recently, but believe that is still the case. I just got lucky when I found and purchased mine.

Since the weather has gotten better here, my 400c has been impressing then hell out of me. Not for long bars, but with a 24" B&C it is incredible. If you want a 500i and don't need to run a long bar, aim lower and the 400c will fill your needs and then some.
Looking at a 40in tree now... And planning on cutting a road in UP this summer and wanted the flexibility

I haven't had a chance to run a 592 yet and I hope to very soon. But it better be a hell of a saw to dethrone the 500i as the current techno wonder boy do it all. I have or have had saws from both major brands, along with Dolmars and Echos and the 500i is the best stock saw I have owned for doing tree service work. I jave ported saws that are faster, lighter, etc. But the 500i stands out as being damn good out of the box.

After cutting about 3 cords with the 500i, I finally cleaned the air filter. You won't believe what I found. It was clean, both the filter (okay just a little dirty) and the carb intake which was spotless. There was a thread that got over responded to, that Stihl should be ashamed at the air filtration being such a bad design. OMG, mine was clean. How is this possible?

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/stihl-should-be-ashamed-of-themselves.357516/

If you know of a 500i-R available within 100 miles of Napa, CA, please let me know. I've been on a waiting list for over a year with no product in sight according to the dealer (with whom I've done lots of business and who has always treated very well).
Plenty of them here in the Boise, ID area.

Need 36"? Don't bother with a 500i, IMO. It is not a 90+cc saw, period.
28", tops.
Mine gets a 24.
Need 36...661....
My 500i rips a 36” and it’s such a pleasure not to have to drag boat anchors out in the woods. lol

you do have to change out the suspension..I have no clue what their engineers were thinking….but it’s a complete different saw when you do.

My 500i rips a 36” and it’s such a pleasure not to have to drag boat anchors out in the woods. lol

you do have to change out the suspension..I have no clue what their engineers were thinking….but it’s a complete different saw when you do.
I can’t imagine burying a 36” into Eucalyptus with this saw, sorry. Even with full skip.
i e only had a chance to cut 25” logs so far…28”, skip which was what came on it when I got it.

Back