Need a 60cc saw for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only cut for firewood, usually standing dead ash or oak that the timber companies left because it wasn't straight enough for the mill. I cut around 10-15 cords a year for myself and others who aren't able to cut anymore. When I started cutting a couple years ago it was all done with Echo 400's. Had to leave some really nice wood because the 400's weren't big enough so also got 490's and Maruyama MCV 51's. For just firewood, probably all the saws I would need. Still had to leave the occasional big trunk. Then @CJ Brown corrupted my mind and I got a Makita 6401 with 24" bar. Great saw but for what I do, either of the 50 cc saws was big enough and the 400's have done a great job, especially for limbing and smaller trunks. Does make you smile when that 6401 is throwing chips tho.

Could pare down now if I wanted but still would want at least three of each cc class.
I fixed it for you Steve :rolleyes:, at least that's how I feel, ok wait does that mean I need to sell a few o_O.

OP, sell the 421 you have and then buy a ported 5105 from Miller mods.
Run an 18" on it for most work(unless your taller than me, most are), and a 20 for the larger stuff, great two saw plan(not that I recommend a two saw plan :innocent:). If the ported one has issues or you get it stuck you can use the stock one.
Last night I cut up a large limb(20") that came off a friends tree with a stock 550 and a 450 husky. If it was any larger or very hard wood I would have wanted to jump right to a 70cc saw or a ported 60cc saw.
You really don't "need" another saw at all, I give you permission to buy whatever you want since that's more the feeling I get this thread is about. the Bible talks about folks filling there aching ears with what they want to hear, there it is :rolleyes: :laugh:.
If there's anything else I can "help" with let me know :popcorn2:.

My 2 saw plan is to only get 2 saws at a time.
I like that "one" LOL.
I like to sell one and buy two, and for anyone who knows me at all I sell a few :D.
I'll be selling a bunch soon to help build my new pole barn, I may get down to a 5-10 saw plan, just in case :happybanana:.

If you keep all the saws to one or two colors it is much tougher for others to keep track. IE orange and red saws are tough to differentiate but if you bring home a yellow, grey, or black one then it sticks out LOL.

When I brought the 6401 home she picked that blue out right away, however she liked the color and asked "You're not getting rid of that one are you?" But to your point @svk, she doesn't notice any increase in all the orange.

I use my Husky 460s and have been very impressed with the performance of them. I bought my first in 2007. It is not big enough to do any real cutting, but if it is necessary it can get through a 30'' log. Those that live in areas where as the trees are small then it still is a great choice for both limbing and firewood cutting. I can not imagine any saw smaller for any reason, but this is after 40 years of bias towards larger trees. My tree cutting buddy brought over a truck full of Oak log last week. He asked me if it was OK if they were a bit on the large side. As it turned out the small ones were 5'. I was able to cut almost all of them with a 30'' bar so the 076 handled them fine. There are so many other brands that seem to preform very well, it is that I lean towards saws that are mass produced. Thanks DK6E.jpg

I do not make my living with chainsaws, never made any claim as to the sensibility of my saw collection. I do get a lot of enjoyment out of using them and working on them. Sometimes I sell them after I've made them whole again. I like to climb around in trees. I cut firewood for myself and others when the opportunity arises. I'm starting to do some milling, with an eye toward making enough beams to timber frame an addition to my house, from trees growing around here. I have saws ranging from 37 cc to 120+cc, and I like them all. I don't really care how fast they cut, I just have fun doing it. I don't begrudge anyone else his preferences, but I have mine.

I cut my wedding cake with a 660, canola bar oil, five good cuts in front of 150 people. Nancy's hand was next to mine on the wrap handle, the accordion folded tarp came up smoothly, drop start on the second pull, all went off excellently. Was it necessary? No. Was it a good time? You bet your asp.

If you enjoy your collection of saws then what is not to like. If it was me I might have chosen a smaller saw with a little less smoke. If your guests at your wedding were OK with you slicing your cake then be happy. I use some of my saws every week with few exceptions. Right now I have 11 and am Ok in that do not need any more right now. I have two major projects going on so I often leave a couple saws at each job so as not to have to haul them every where. Thanks

Yup, I picked up a used 6100 with the idea of flipping it and making a few bucks. Then I made the mistake of running it for a day, limbing and bucking as it was the only saw I had with me. Nice and smooth, sips fuel, never missed a beat, all-around great saw... and the same bar mount as most of my other saws.

OP, I'm sure that you already know the answer to your first post.

me too---

If you enjoy your collection of saws then what is not to like. If it was me I might have chosen a smaller saw with a little less smoke. If your guests at your wedding were OK with you slicing your cake then be happy.
The smoke is why I picked this one. It was my newest saw at the time, and the bar was long enough to cut across the whole cake while parallel to the table, also the most impressive due to its sheer size. People loved it, and they will remember it.

That's awesome, Creamsicles and wedding cake anyone :laugh:.
We had ice cream at ours, and chocolate milk for the kids, tradition :buttkick:, it was our wedding and no one else's, and :).
Last year on our anniversary we were at Randy's GTG :happy:. That being said we didn't necessarily celebrate it that day. I know I have a great wife, and it appears you do as well:cheers:.
Can you say anniversary cookies :sweet:, just need milk :numberone:
20161203_114234.jpg 20161203_114122.jpg

Latest posts

Back