Octane Boost in Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance

clearance

Addicted to ArboristSite
My local gas station only had 87 octane, I always try to run my saws on 92, 89 in a pinch. Question, will adding some Lucas octane boost to 87 octane along with Husky mix at 45:1 be ok or not? Thank you.

Tree Sling'r

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have never tries it, but have worked with many who have and they have never had any issues. The more octane the better is would assume.
Why you run 45:1 just out of curiosity? I run Husky mix as well and always at 50:1 with never an issue.

ShoerFast

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
clearance said:
My local gas station only had 87 octane, I always try to run my saws on 92, 89 in a pinch. Question, will adding some Lucas octane boost to 87 octane along with Husky mix at 45:1 be ok or not? Thank you.

Clearance

I think that it would help under heavy loads, and it may help it run a little cooler.

But I think one of the best things anyone can do to longevity is be consistent at what ever is mixed.

There is a .02 cent test, not very accurate, and it stinks,,,,, but make a couple cuts and test the muffler with a plastic spoon,,,,, try your new mix, same cuts and see if the spoon melts noticeablely slower.

Sounds way whacked huh? but you can actually do a dynamic compairitive compression test on tired engines (picture a headered V-8), the weak cylinders will always melt the spoon slower.

ok ok i said .02 cents!

Kevin

Mr.

being watched
The problem is that some companies use alcohol to boost the octane rating.
If you use an oil that blends with alcohol no problem, but if you don't the alcohol can leach out of the mix and how much straight alcohol do you want to run through your saw?

Someone will say alcohol will mix with gas and this is true, but try mixing gas, methanol, and Stihl oil in a clear container.

Fred

Latest posts