Post Irma clean-up - saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southerngator

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Family owned property in central FL. Report from my father is that we have about 30 downed oak and pine trees after hurricane Irma. Haven't walked the property myself, but i doubt anything larger than 30" will need to be cut up. Just a lot of trees down.

Likely will be bringing in a loader and/or lull for stump removal and stacking cut material.

I'm looking for the best two saw recommendation to handle this job. I'll purchase new since I gave my dad my old husky over 10 years ago and my current saw is an old stihl 009L that I can't bring myself to let go (yeah...i know, but it runs great and does what I need around the house).

I'm inclined to buy Stihl because I have two elite dealers within 5 miles that provide better (more timely) service than the one husky dealer in town. I was thinking about a 261 with 16" b&c and a 461 with 25" b&c (maybe a 28"?). That way I'd have something that would handle the heavy work, but also a small lighter weight saw that has some grunt too. The alternative would maybe be a 362/461 combo.

I like the idea of having a big saw to make quick work of the larger trees, and a small saw that's lighter to break down limbs when you start to get tired.

Thoughts? Comments? Recommendations?

My opinion, you're going overkill. Based on what you own/passed to your father you don't have a regular need for significant saws. A 362 and perhaps a 250 will handle the trees you've mentioned and cost a hell of a lot less. 30 trees is significant but also a one time job.

My opinion, you're going overkill. Based on what you own/passed to your father you don't have a regular need for significant saws. A 362 and perhaps a 250 will handle the trees you've mentioned and cost a hell of a lot less. 30 trees is significant but also a one time job.

Agreed that its overkill... but show me a guy who doesn't like using big power tools. (At least for the first few hours) And, I like having the right tools for the job. I'd happily keep the 261, but the 461 would be larger than I'd probably need for anything in the future. That is unless any of the down trees are worth cutting into slabs and I decide to give it a try. I appreciate everyone putting in their two cents, this was the input I was looking for.

I'll know more about what I'm dealing with once I make it up that way. The current plan is to cut hay in the fields in the next few weeks first, as not to ruin it hauling trees, so I'm not in a rush.

Chipper chain and keep it sharp.

Short bar.

Chain will dull quickly.

And palm tree sap eats saws!!!!!!

True story... ask me how I know palm trees are hell on chainsaws! (that was cleaning up after hurricane Matthew at the parents house last year)

Agreed that its overkill... but show me a guy who doesn't like using big power tools. (At least for the first few hours) And, I like having the right tools for the job. I'd happily keep the 261, but the 461 would be larger than I'd probably need for anything in the future. That is unless any of the down trees are worth cutting into slabs and I decide to give it a try. I appreciate everyone putting in their two cents, this was the input I was looking for.

I'll know more about what I'm dealing with once I make it up that way. The current plan is to cut hay in the fields in the next few weeks first, as not to ruin it hauling trees, so I'm not in a rush.

True story... ask me how I know palm trees are hell on chainsaws! (that was cleaning up after hurricane Matthew at the parents house last year)
Oh.....lol. Order a BUNCH of chains from Baileys.
Flat rate to me and I'll sharpen them. No problem.
A sharp chain is a saw saver.

I have been cutting down south fl. I have an old ms 260 pro. It will cut what ever I bury the bar in. Even cut up a section of 18" Australian pine. Probably gonna sell the two 210's and get a 261cm 20".

Any of the timber marketable? If so, you might be able to get someone to come in and take the logs and then the cleanup would be relegated to smaller diameter stuff.
As far as limbing and bucking up that many trees, it may sound daunting but in reality could probably be done in two days. Not sure it would warrant new saws unless you just want new saws.
I just did some storm damage cleanup from Irma earlier this week and cleaned up several trees and dragged the debris into the woods, then raked the lawn areas. Took three hours working alone and I'm an old geezer.

Pretty good combo. You could run a longer bar on the 261. It's not an ideal setup but it'll cut more without dragging the heavy saw around. I say 28" on the 461 and 18 or 20" on the 261. You could save some cash looking at other brands but if you like stihl and can afford it, why not? I'd never talk a guy out of buying a saw or two.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I have a buddy who will be heading down that way.
He has big saws and will take care of what you can't or don't want to.
Sometimes it's easier to pay a guy and get it done a bit quicker, but if I have more time than money I like to "earn" the new to me equipment. I prefer hitting craigslist and buying a nice low hr saw myself, and I'm sure they will be in abundance down there and already are.
Be safe gator :).

my neighbor had some huge Australian pines go down a cs 590 timber wolf did well

Latest posts

Back