Project Stumpbroke MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the ole boy came & got his saw. We went out & made a few cuts with it with the 20" bar. He has never had a 20" on it cause he thought it had a hard enough time with the 18". He asked if he would even tell a difference in power since it had a bigger bar on it. I told him he might:msp_thumbup:. He made couple of cuts with it in a 24" dia block of pin oak. All he could say was HOLY SH!T!!!! That was worth all the money in the world to see his face. I love buildin saws, but the look on peoples faces are priceless. Makes what I do even better.
I also talked the guy into lettin me take it to the next GTG to play with it.:rock:

Thanks fer all who have chimed in here on my first build thread. I'm sure I'll have more, just don't have time or patience(loading all the pics) to do a thread on all of them.

I hope this thread shows that you don't have to have a Mag case pro saw to have a strong wood cutter. If a homeowner grade saw is what you got, build the hell outa it. I believe it's worth it.

I just picked up a mildly scored 039 that I want to port.
I'm sure the cylinder will be ok, hopefully be able to clean up and reuse the piston.

Mike

Yeah Stumpy, I know what you mean when you see their reaction. Good job on that saw! There is alot to gain on that series of saws with just some muffler work. You topped that with some porting to boot. I did my friends muffler on his 290 and he could not believe the difference it made. Like said before, when you get the locked in power out of them the 13 plus pounds of the power head is fine. Stock, they weigh too much for what they can do.

Hey guys I'm new to the site and have been reading about the GTG could you tell me what that is? Also wondering if anyone is doing port work or mods in the nebraska area? - Btw the saws look great and really look like they perform great. Nice job !

Hi 440-460 and welcome to the AS!

GTG stands for Get To Gather and is basically....(as Ohio Greggs sister so aptly put it) where a bunch of "saw geeks" assemble in one place to talk about, run, race, badmouth, and generally have fun with our chainsaws.
There will likely be saws there that you have never seen and saws that you or someone dear to you used to "have one just like".
We usually have a bite to eat, sometimes have a "beverage" or twelve after the saws are put away and sometimes even camp out overnight.
Make sure to attend one if you REALLY like chainsaws they are great.

Mike

I did a search for gtg and the zip showed it was in ok, is that where it is always at or is it held in other places too? I would like to see some of what is out there and what can be done but don't want to drive all over the nation for it.

I did a search for gtg and the zip showed it was in ok, is that where it is always at or is it held in other places too? I would like to see some of what is out there and what can be done but don't want to drive all over the nation for it.

Just keep an eye on the chainsaw forum. One may pop up near you. But being in Nebraska, you're probably looking at a drive no matter which one you chose to attend... There's one in Tennessee first of oct. Then one in AR later in oct. They have em' in Ohio, Wisconsin, and Iowa that I know of... The Michigan guys just can't seem to iron one out though...:hmm3grin2orange:

There's 1 in Iowa this fall. Just search Iowa GTG. Not a bad drive if you're in eastern NE. They are lot of fun, always good people.

Latest posts

Back