Project Stumpbroke MS290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you using a jig to hold the piston? If not, have you had any warp on ya?

No, just make a small weld then quench it with a wet rag. It takes a while to do it this way, but so far useing this method I haven't scraped any. Probably not the most professional way to do it but I make it work. The first one I done fer my 288 I just welded it without quenching. It warped the pee out of it. I was able to salvage it in my vise with the plastic jaws & some light sanding.

Nice Stump, I am like the other guys hunting you a 460. The other day in a saw shop I stepped over the Arc of the convent the Holly Grail and Jimmy Hoffa but not MS460 in site.

Nice Stump, I am like the other guys hunting you a 460. The other day in a saw shop I stepped over the Arc of the convent the Holly Grail and Jimmy Hoffa but not MS460 in site.

One of these days we're gonna read in the paper about Stephen... "man hospitalized after tripping in garage and impaling himself on 14 felling dogs"...

Yep I got a Miller syncrowave 180. So far I've done 4 succesfull popups. I think I'll do a small popup & increase the ex dur a few deg & hope I don't sacrifice any torque.

Cool. I haven't had the need to yet, but itching to try it. I got a Lincoln Square Wave, precision TIG 185. I got enough scrap cylinders to make a few holders for the piston, was going to cut the cylinder in half vertically then clamp that around the piston for a holder/heatsink.

Cool. I haven't had the need to yet, but itching to try it. I got a Lincoln Square Wave, precision TIG 185. I got enough scrap cylinders to make a few holders for the piston, was going to cut the cylinder in half vertically then clamp that around the piston for a holder/heatsink.

I should probably do the same thing.
I need to git a lathe so I can make some holders.

I'm still trying to find you a shelled 460 as well, my cousin thinks he has one, he had to go out of town for the weekend to a wedding. I guess I'm just going to have to load up and go over and see what he has for sure. He was positive he had two or three 044/440's and two thrashed 660's and one thrashed 066. I just got to convince him he needs to part with some of his junk.

The work on the 290 looks great. I've got to get that 133 over to you, so we can show that young whipper snapping 7900 who it's daddy is.

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! Dollie got her a 24" black bar this morning. Lookin more like the BLACK WIDOW now!!!
Get that 029 done stump! We need video if you can swing it!

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! Dollie got her a 24" black bar this morning. Lookin more like the BLACK WIDOW now!!!
Get that 029 done stump! We need video if you can swing it!

We need some pics of that Dollie!!

Gotta wait fer the rings & seals to git here so I can finnish it up.

Don't count on a vid, yer lucky to git pics. I'm still on dialup & a puter made in 1932, LOL.

We need some pics of that Dollie!!

Gotta wait fer the rings & seals to git here so I can finnish it up.

Don't count on a vid, yer lucky to git pics. I'm still on dialup & a puter made in 1932, LOL.

I'll put em on the gtg thread Monday. Love the I-phone, but ain't figured out how to post pics from it yet.

Love the I-phone, but ain't figured out how to post pics from it yet.

The only way I have figured it out is to send them to a online place like photobucket, then copy and paste the IMG link to here. Its actually easier than posting pictures from my home computer once I figured it out. Maybe that'll help ya out.

The only way I have figured it out is to send them to a online place like photobucket, then copy and paste the IMG link to here. Its actually easier than posting pictures from my home computer once I figured it out. Maybe that'll help ya out.

+1000 just download the photobucket app for free and ur set. I can take a pic, and have it on the forum in less than 5 minutes.

Come on Stump, it's easier than that to do a pop up, just get you some Loctite 424 and glue a couple quarters on the top, they dang sure won't come off after using 424. I turned a busing to put in a draw bar and used some of it to glue the bushing in thinking it would be temporary, guess what, that dang bushing is still there. I've had it hooked to 10' x 48" roller filled with water, a plow, disc, baler etc. I've had to turn a few pins down. We use the stuff to glue barrel liners in when re-barreling old shot out .22's, the stuff is incredible. I may have to find a wild thing and see if it will actually work.lol

Are you gonna do anything to the carb? I've been looking at boring mine a couple of millimeters but I haven't come up with a good way to replace the butterfly.
After seeing your work here, it has refueled me. I'll take it to work Monday and study some more.

Are you gonna do anything to the carb? I've been looking at boring mine a couple of millimeters but I haven't come up with a good way to replace the butterfly.
After seeing your work here, it has refueled me. I'll take it to work Monday and study some more.

No, not somethin I've gottin into yet. Just gonna make a nice lil firewood saw out of it.

Latest posts

Back