Re-arranging 026 filtration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
As some here feel the 026 filtration is lacking, i have removed the filter cover off an 026 to see what I can do to improve its longevity between cleanings.

I never have any chips inside the cover or on the filter, simply fine dust, this cover slides into slots or grooves on the body itself I assume blocking/eliminating the chips and larger particles, so obviously presently i can only believe the fine dust particles are coming through the aluminium pre-filter and collecting on the air filter itself.

I have been thinking of installing an even finer brass, copper nylon or fiber filterring cloth over the exhisting aluminium one or perhaps over the inlet channel holes themselves trapping more tiny particles before they get to the filter. Another alternative possibly would be to cut out a piece of vacuum cleaner paper filter to the exact dimensions of the prefilter, fitting it under the aluminium screen which would hold it in place and let a lot less of the fine stuff through.

Any other ideas ? Its now time to throw them out?

Here are 3 pictures of an 026 filter cover

Also before someone brings it up, if need be there is plenty of room on the cover to drill a 1/2 inch hole, rectangle or any orifice in the cover and screen it to allow extra air to get to the filter and carb as where the white paper label is stuck on.

As on the attached picture:

Last edited:
I'm inexperience with the 026.  Does it have an obvious opening from the engine top cover near that airbox inlet?  If you can ensure none of the air from inside the engine cover escapes there you'd do better than further restricting the inlet, I'd think.

Here's a hint for you: resized to 50% and the "quality" factor dropped from 92 (way excessive!) to 70...

You're sending way, way too much data for those of us on modems to even want to fetch to look at what you're trying to show us!

Mine doesnt even have that screen.. Your idea of putting a fine mesh over the current screen is valid if your goal is to only keeeping debris off the filter, but it will also restrict a already very restrictive stock filter.. Personaly I just ignore the filter untill I feel the power drop off a bit, then clean it. It takes a supprising amount of gunk to plug the flocked filter up.

I've already tried all that you mentioned. even wrapped the whole filter with extra foam. used it today and it wasn't any better than it was before. not even one tank through it and it is full. the problem isn't the filter itself, it's the airbox design that lets all that fine stuff in there to begin with. what a badly engineered piece of spam! I think I'm going to go to the 346xp and save myself the hassle.

Good point Glens! I forgot that the piece Lobo has taken a picture off is closed off on my saw by a plastic piece that is only to be removed for winter use(I've never removed mine). Lobo's saw must be a 026 arctic.

The cover in the pictures is from a standard 026, not a pro and not an Artic.

I have not had any problems on this saw of intake or choke plug-up.
Just the filter that gets coated with fine dust partricles and of course i will clean it a little more often than other saws. But perhaps I am cleaning it too often also and not letting it fill with crap from a couple of days use.

glens said:
You're sending way, way too much data for those of us on modems to even want to fetch to look at what you're trying to show us!

Sorry Glen I never thought of that :cry:

Here is a picture of the aluminium screen pre-filter or deflector itself.

glens said:
I'm inexperience with the 026.  Does it have an obvious opening from the engine top cover near that airbox inlet?  If you can ensure none of the air from inside the engine cover escapes there you'd do better than further restricting the inlet, I'd think.

Here's a hint for you: resized to 50% and the "quality" factor dropped from 92 (way excessive!) to 70...

Glen not sure but I think you are referring to the winter shutter, as per the attached is that correct ?

i am starting to wonder if there could be a difference between the Virginia Beach manufactured 026 for the USA and the German manufactured 026 we get in Canada.

Since I live in a dry dusty area, I have been trying to keep more stuff away from the air filter. I got some porous foam and tried to seal up some of the bigger openings and put some behind the mesh.

I put some of the foam in the handle around the throttle linkage, around the control lever etc. I also replaced the rubber grommets around the carb. adjusting screws. So far I haven't noticed any major improvement.

What you are looking at is the new and old version of the cover.
The heat shutter was in the fuel tank assembly on the old style 26.

If the filter is kept reasonably clean, the fine particles through the choke lever have never posed a problem. I think most of them stay in the lever area. The only saws that wear pistons come in with the filter completely pluged. The dirt is then drawn in elsewhere, sometimes right through the seals.
This is why bad filter maintenance on a cutoff saw makes the bearings loose every time.
I hope the new design filter system on the 361 and TS700 catches on.

Stihltech, I am assuming the picture we have posted are of the new cover

Back