Recomend a 70+ CC saw whats your favorite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the OP wants to run a 20" bar in hardwood. Think a 7900 will pull it:D:D

Whats a CM? hey if I don't ask I won't know...:confused2::confused2:

A 441(CM) ;)

A stock 7900 will easily pull a 30" bar in Yellow or White Box, trees in the past that needed 056 or 660 size saws at a minimum to deal with.

Box is a type of Euc and harder than concrete, it makes Oak, etc look like Pine.

A 441(CM) ;)

A stock 7900 will easily pull a 30" bar in Yellow or White Box, trees in the past that needed 056 or 660 size saws at a minimum to deal with.

Box is a type of Euc and harder than concrete, it makes Oak, etc look like Pine.

box elder?

So 372 vs 441cm and when talk comes up about the 441 that puts me right back at the 461 same weight with more power at least by Stihls numbers.

What does the air filter look like on 372 and a 441cm? I think a good air filter is one of the most important parts on the saw. If its gonna last.

What does the air filter look like on 372 and a 441cm? I think a good air filter is one of the most important parts on the saw. If its gonna last.

Someone with more knowledge on the 441 can tell about it in detail. The 372 with a sharp chain and the HD set up does just as well as any system I've seen.

No, Box is a Eucalypt, one of the hardest with a tight grain that's often squiggly too and tends to produce a really dusty chip.

I know Osage orange will kill a chain quick. I have even seen sparks fly where there was no metal in the wood.

I know Osage orange will kill a chain quick. I have even seen sparks fly where there was no metal in the wood.

Getting OT here :monkey:

Hard to compare timber from one part of the world to another, hell, it's hard to compare region to region as growing conditions vary so much but the Janka numbers I've seen show Red Ironbark comparable or a bit harder to Hedge, and I know from cutting the stuff that Grey, White and Yellow Box (Eucalyptus Microcarpa, E.Albens, E. Melliodora) are harder to cut than Iron Bark (E. Sideroxylon, E. Crebra, E. Fibrosa)

Someone with more knowledge on the 441 can tell about it in detail. The 372 with a sharp chain and the HD set up does just as well as any system I've seen.

From what the other Aussies that have run them say, the 441 has the (equal) best filtration of any saw on the market ATM.
The only filters that'd compare is the Dolmar/Makita HD filter and maybe the Shinny high tops.
The 372 seems to be a lot better than the 390 and up, but it isn't in the league of the new Stihl HD filter.
The old Stihl HD filter was pretty ordinary here.

Filtration is a big thing in our part of the world, we have lots of dusty timber and dirty conditions at times.

044 for me as far as favorites . The 372 and 460 come in tied and a close second . Of course all this depends on how much + there is in that 70cc recommendation :) If I'm allowed to fudge a few CCs , then the 390xp is one heck of a fun saw to run .

I currently have a 440, a 2171, and a 365xt that has had the restrictors removed. I like all 3 of them even though I think the 2171 is the best looking one. I would recommend either one of them.

Since you have an MS261, might as well stick with a Stihl. My stock MS440 w/ a 20" bar has plenty of power and speed in oak, so if you're looking to run that size bar, there's no need for the extra cc's and power of an MS460 or MS461. I'd be looking at an MS441 C-M for the M-Tronic controls, better fuel economy, AV, filtration, and shroud fasteners. If you'd rather an old-school design that's a bit lighter, the tried-and-true MS440 or 044 will handle a bit better.

Last edited:
So just by specs alone the Stihl 441/461 have more power and a little more weight vs the husky 372/576 saws. Yet everyone says the Husky will out cut the Stihl and alot of you prefer the Husky. So do the specs lie and not tell the whole storey here. Or is it really just a ford vs chevy thing with no clear winners. So is the 372 xp that I can go and buy from my local dealer the extra torque model that is choked out with epa BS.

Latest posts

Back