Sold a good saw = headache

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What kind of "tree service professional" buy a used $100 saw?????

That should have been a clue there.
Your right!! I thought that myself, he said he would use it for hedges and so forth, but still being a "professional" he go and drop a measly $300 on a new Echo.
I laid in bed thinking about it all night , to take it back. But you guys changed my mind Lol

...You actually have a threatening email from him? That goes to the cops, immediately...
Absolutely! Plus, you want that legal paper trail, in case this escalates. Being the first one to make an official report can carry some weight, when they're trying to decide who's right and who's looney tunes.

I sold an outboard to a guy. Two months later he calls me because it didn't run right and he had torn the whole thing down after they tried to tune it. Would I give him partial refund? Sorry.

He set the tone. I don't know you but take you at your word that you woulda taken care of it had he been civil. Threats never fly with me either or carry any weight. Please don't loss anymore sleep over the loser. I would buy a saw from ya anytime.
Thank you.
I really do pride myself on selling a good item. May it be a chainsaw or anything else. The one thing I don't want is what I experienced with this guy and I honestly say this is the first time this has ever happened and hopefully I never do again. These turds really do discourage people from continueing on. I definitely don't sell to get rich, I say any profit is a good profit (of course some being better then others) but would rather cover my costs and the buyer walking away happy and feeling he got a deal also.
I have told people who have purchased items from me after they told me they have a broken one sitting home there replacing to bring it to me and I'll fix it (for parts cost only) because I had such a good experience selling to them. (Yes, Of course they still bought my item) lol

I sold a 1950 GMC flatbed to a guy when I got outta the wood business. I was VERY clear when I told him I was selling an old vehicle that leaked oil and had the typical vintage issues. He test drove it, loved it, couldn't wait to pay me and take it home. Wrote up my usual 'as-is no warranty expressed or implied' bill of sale, and off he goes gleefully into the night after paying me the required greenbacks.

The next morning, he calls me up. Wants to unwind the deal cuz sure enough, it's leaking oil. Just like I said it would. He says his wife doesn't like oil on the driveway. The same wife who listened to my information the evening prior.

I reminded him of our conversation, and asked him if my words and bill of sale, signed and counter-signed, we're unclear in any way. He allowed that I had been not only clear, but he had understood me very well.

I wished him well, and proceeded to my bank to deposit the cash. Simple as that. No need to be a wussy if you've been honest and clear on the concepts.

But...that's just me. More old school than politically correct, I reckon. Chain saw or old truck, is alla same!

I would of definitely taken care of it, but when I receive this email below I decided to tell him to go f%$# himself (in a kind way of course lol)

"I bought the echo saw from you. It dont run. Im kinda pissed. Are you gonna do the right thing ? Call me, I took down your plate my brother is a cop and i can get your address in two minutes. Im busy just want the hundred back. Save your self some trouble. If i dont hear from you in a few days i will come to your house."

A calm conversation discussing the issue(s) with the saw, and the possibility (no promises) of taking a look at it would've been on the table.

But after that email? No, & HELL NO.

How would this "tree service" guy (professional???) react to a customer getting that aggressive with him? Maybe that's what he's used to hearing.

Back