Thanksgiving Has Passed........What's On Your Bench?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously doubt that had ANYTHING to do with a lean condition. Lean does not cause a saw to grenade. Is that a newish piston?

I bought the saw used from Randy two years ago. I'd say yes, that it was "newish" based on the overall condition of the rest of the saw.

I'm open to suggestions since I'd rather not repeat this after I fix it. As mentioned, I'd already run three complete tanks of fuel through the saw on this date. Mix was with Stihl ultimate. The shop didn't diagnose it any further once they saw the piston in pieces knowing what the part/labor bill was going to amount to. Their comment was that this saw does not have one of the newer compensating carbs to accommodate a dirty air filter so the saw ran lean until it died.

Dont the compensating carbs reduce fuel flow to compensate for reduced air flow? Meanimg it is leanimg out?

Would a plugged air filter mimic running with the choke on? Meaning it would be too rich?

Wouldnt grenaded engines be more common if it were caused by a plugged airfilter? People routinely run their saw with plugged filters.

Now a plugged fuel filter will cause it to run lean.

I seriously doubt that had ANYTHING to do with a lean condition. Lean does not cause a saw to grenade. Is that a newish piston?
The only grenaded saws that I have seen like that are ones that are revved to the max and cutting very little. The most recent one was cutting up hay bales. I don't know if was an overheat or what, but it sure came apart. No scoring on the exhaust side, just broke on the intake side. Plenty of oil inside.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Tearing apart a 026 after the piston gave up. First saw I have ever taken apart. :rock:
IMG_1466.jpg

Yeah, that's fugly.

The 310 upgraded to a 390 is now off the bench! Saw is all back together and came to life today. I took a Bailey's kit and added a set of Caber rings and resealed it. Thanks Randy for all the advice on this project! I painted the muffler with 1500º header paint as I have done with a couple other. This one I wanted a little gloss to it so I coated the black paint with header clear coat. This was all done weeks ago and cured as they reccomend on the can. When I was snapping these pictures I noticed some chips stuck to the muffler. I guess something didn't cure well enough.
by5asu3y.jpg
zyhehe8y.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've got this: A 287 Cat SSL with a broken drive motor.

Idiot bent a spacer for the drive motor and proceeded to not notice for ten minutes of running it. It's a shame because it's my only loader I have at the shop right now. Mainly because my 963 is in the field.

I feel your pain. My tracked Volvo SSL is in my shop after it went swimming and killed the alternator, starter, throttle control actuator, and got a bunch of water in the hydraulic system. Makes chainsaws seem awfully cheap.

I feel your pain. My tracked Volvo SSL is in my shop after it went swimming and killed the alternator, starter, throttle control actuator, and got a bunch of water in the hydraulic system. Makes chainsaws seem awfully cheap.

Chainsaws are cheap. I just rebuilt a D8 Cat's undercarriage. It was no bueno.

The only grenaded saws that I have seen like that are ones that are revved to the max and cutting very little. The most recent one was cutting up hay bales. I don't know if was an overheat or what, but it sure came apart. No scoring on the exhaust side, just broke on the intake side. Plenty of oil inside.

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

Hmmm... I'm not one to cut air, but I suppose it could have been damaged prior to me buying it and it finally gave up.

Still a little girl on my bench, she is almost 4 months old now, I am behind on tree work, yard work, have deer meat to process..............I love spending time with that little girl.

Good to see the site operational again and cleaned up.

Finally got the pair of 306 Poulans together. No sooner did I get the bench wiped off, when a pair of 757 Shindaiwas took up residence..... 362 still on the other bench. It'll run next week.

Today was a pretty normal day, three MS 250's that needed carb kits, a 210 that needed a new carb, a Echo 670 that the owner claimed that it slowed down in the cut with more throttle which turned out to be tuned way to lean, initial tach reading 15,100 no wonder it was falling on it's face. A MS 660 came in with a Bailey's kit that the owner installed, piston was hitting the top of the cylinder, he never heard if squish, rebuild a extremely nice 034, new oem jug slug rod bearing and rings, a 024 that needed a pto crank seal and lastly diagnosed a fried crapsman the owner had leaned out the carby resulting in a fried piston. Sold several saws today, the four cycle guys were covered with generators in anticipation of the ice storm/snow

Well it's not saws but I completely tore down my snowmobile and getting powder coated. After that 2 dolly 510's and a 044 restoration project!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back