Thinking of new 60cc class saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a MS 362 C-M. Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten, and if you ever want to get it ported, the new info just off the presses show that it screams! Nothing out lasts a Stihl pro saw.

Keep dreaming KenJax. It was not slower, and it was his first 362 C-M, plus that saw was not even broken in yet (less than one tank through it).

The 362 C-M will hold it's own against any other 60 cc saw out there. The 562 is a fantastic saw, and the 362 is nothing less.

Price was the difference for us and Masterminds thread on the 6100. This saw has been perfect (for OUR needs) so far. Honestly, I dont think you could go wrong with any new 60cc saw. We have good Dolmar, Husky and Stihl dealers in our area so thats not a issue.

This pic proves absolutely nothing but I like it:

Ok, just found a used 2159 that I'm thinking I can get for about 300. Says its 5 years old. Just dont know if this would be a better deal than the echo at 400 new with warranty.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Ok, just found a used 2159 that I'm thinking I can get for about 300. Says its 5 years old. Just dont know if this would be a better deal than the echo at 400 new with warranty.
For a bill less I would take the 2159, but for a bill more you get warrenty(whatever that means to you) and have a brand new saw without any unknown history. Let me guess the typical "hardly used saw that only needs a carb setting to run right"... = dead saw that will need a rebuild! I find the used equipment prices from the major players often totally exagerated and far from reallity.
Personally I don't often have the time to tinker with a saw to get it running right. And from an economical point of view it is often a substantial finacial loss. Just thinking about a major rebuild (excluding the time factor) often includes new seals and other parts, so that this all adds to the price of a saw. If you include all the expences you can often buy very nice original brand new equipment without any unknown aftermarket pieces.
On the other hand there are rebuilders, also found on this site, whom I definately trust and from whom I would buy a saw anytime (f.e. nmurph). Further there are other well known members here on this site that I wouldn't be affraid of buying used equipment from.
Pro quality saws and other outdoor equipment can often be found at very good prices when the big names are absent on the product.

Although a lot of negativ critisism is often proclaimed here about warrenty, I have had very good experience with warrenty and really needed it(defekt coil). Makita was even so kind as to repair a saw although the bent chain adjuster was my fault! So for me warrenty is valuable and senseable. If I need it in 5 years who knows but it is nice to know that some companies offer this. I have a 7 year warrenty on my Oleo Mac 962 chainsaw.

How big of a bar are you running on it? Think it would carry a 24" well?

I havent tried anything larger than a 18" bar full comp. I wouldnt hesitate putting a 20" bar on it. Might go semi-skip with a 24". As long as you dont rush it it cuts just fine and mine has the cat in it still. Not many people on here seem to have a 2159 but what little I read said they really wake up after opening the muffler and/or a port job. I bet it would pull 24" full like aboss with a port and MM... Weight is nothing to brag about compared to the 2258 and 2160 but its not bad. I can run it all day without a complaint. Maybe I could get some cuting clips for you if you like.

I havent tried anything larger than a 18" bar full comp. I wouldnt hesitate putting a 20" bar on it. Might go semi-skip with a 24". As long as you dont rush it it cuts just fine and mine has the cat in it still. Not many people on here seem to have a 2159 but what little I read said they really wake up after opening the muffler and/or a port job. I bet it would pull 24" full like aboss with a port and MM... Weight is nothing to brag about compared to the 2258 and 2160 but its not bad. I can run it all day without a complaint. Maybe I could get some cuting clips for you if you like.
And the whole if its not ported or a pro saw its not worthy is BS. I've made a living for 18 years with stock saws with only muffler mods. THEY WILL CUT WOOD.

And the whole if its not ported or a pro saw its not worthy is BS. I've made a living for 18 years with stock saws with only muffler mods. THEY WILL CUT WOOD.
Yep I agree, just to clarify I'm pretty content with this 2159 and how it works with an 18" bar and chain in stock form. I never said it needs a MM or a port job. I probably have my rakers set a little agressive at the moment but it powers through the cut fine with the tip burried. I've dropped trees with it just fine which required cuts from both sides. I really haven't had the need to go to a larger bar. I have a 20" on my 365 I could try on it if I got ambitious...

I have a 20" on my 365 I could try on it if I got ambitious...

Harbinger of bad news.

Not going to fit, 365 is a large Husky mount, 2159/359 uses the smaller Husky mount.

BugaBoots,
24 inch small mount Husky bars aren't cheap. I've rarely seen them for under $80, and I've only seen them in 3/8 pitch, which may also be a consideration, your call. On the other hand, large mount 24 inch Husky bars for lite use or occasional use, such as a Forester, can often be found in the $40 - $50 range. Just some food for thought.

Take Care

With this saw the weight is a concern, that is why I am looking at the 60 class saws. I should have a price on the 6100 tonight from one of my dealers. Already got the price on a 2258, and will be talking to the guy tonight about the 2159. The echo is still tempting me. Also still have the efco in the back of the brain.

You shouldnt notice any difference between the 2258 and the 2159 as they are both "Part-Time Forestry" use saws. The 2258 has 0.8cc more at 59.8cc, 0.05 lb more at 12.35 lbs and 0.1kW more power at 3.1 kW per the manufactures specs. The 2260 is a nice jump in performance (another 0.4 kW over 2258 at 3.5 kW) with the same weight at 12.35 lbs and is considered full time forestry use... Dolmar 6100 claims 13.22 lbs and 3.4 kW with 61cc's. Echo's 590 I believe are under 4 hp and not sure of the weight...

Get a MS 362 C-M. Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten, and if you ever want to get it ported, the new info just off the presses show that it screams! Nothing out lasts a Stihl pro saw.

Still at it mikey..guess what..you have seen 1 - 362 c-m ported..and now i guess its the lords word in your eyes..were you implying that husqvarna saws are not as durable as stihls ? , i know of many 372s and 346s that take an ass poundin daily in commercial settings that have held up for quite some time , is that coincidence ?

With this saw the weight is a concern, that is why I am looking at the 60 class saws. I should have a price on the 6100 tonight from one of my dealers. Already got the price on a 2258, and will be talking to the guy tonight about the 2159. The echo is still tempting me. Also still have the efco in the back of the brain.
To be honest, who cares what you choose out of the above sample, all are excellent saws and will, with proper maintenance, serve you very well for the rest of your life!

Personally I wouldn't trade my Efco/Oleo Mac 162/962 for any Husqvarna or Stihl, although it is old technology. I just like it to much.

Back