Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No saws for me today, went to church, came home, built a fire in the fireplace, then went out and put up lights in the garage, got a row of 7 4 foot lights put in..... I can see clearly now the lights are on.....
Improved lighting is good--Went to Lowes Sat. The round LED talked about earlier was on sale -750 lumens --had clamp,hook and a stand--will spotlight my work table!!

Cooking tomato soup and making pimento cheese for sandwiches--That will be my lunch all week at work:sweet:--Guess who scored vintage poulan tie tac and matching cuff links--Old beard poulan logo like a triangle sort of. Thinking about putting magnets on back--Rarely wear a tie and never wore cuff links(before my time). I like vintage chainsaw ads etc--Does not take up much storage space--Hope to see that poulan bow tomorrow:clap:

My day was quite good. Worked on the 361 again. Pulled the cylinder again after my earlier stupidity and ended up doing a very mild port (more to clean up the casting) on it. Did a muffler mod which didn't exactly turn out exactly as I wanted. Not to worry, replacement mufflers are cheap. And I finally got all the stuff made to do a pressure/vac test. It passed with flying colors, which actually surprised me that the clutch side oil seal didn't leak considering how I buggered it up earlier. The saw really woke up with the muffler mod. Much more responsive, and not that much louder, very much needed. I will try to give it a tune tomorrow, if it's not raining too hard. Sadly, all my wood is really short (not safe at all), so I probably won't get to test all this new power out. :(

a85d67e8508a44b90f51e08ac0444470.jpg
4b020192c6b37b9d6d3f59419f7b2372.jpg

Needs some cleaning inside and out but here's my score for the day

Dang, all you guys are getting new saws, and here I am still fixing the ones I already had! Got a new to me coil for the boat motor today and it works splendid. Going to test the coil out on the other motor tomorrow and I may even get two running motors now. Sure enjoying my spring break.

Dang, all you guys are getting new saws, and here I am still fixing the ones I already had!.....

I feel ya... I haven't acquired a new to me saw in over 2 months! And here y'all are picking saws up left and right... Makes ya feel left out... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I feel ya... I haven't acquired a new to me saw in over 2 months! And here y'all are picking saws up left and right... Makes ya feel left out... [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I keep getting more saws and I have projects that keep getting pushed back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now for my little story. Apologies in advance, I just thought the whole thing was sorta funny, thought some might enjoy.

So I went to the local small engine shop to get some duckbill valves today. First I had to explain what they were. "Poulan's green, Homelite's red ect..." Then he goes "did you read the sign that said model and serial number before you order any parts." Me,"yep, I saw the sign, I'm just looking for the valves, nothing special, there are only really the two types." He than said very adamantly, "you need a whole new fuel cap, can't put new valves in." Me, "NO!!! I don't need a new cap, just a valve, I know what I am talking about. They are all over the internet, just the valve!" Him, "Well you can't trust the internet, it's wrong, ALL the duckbill valves are different, give me a model/serial number and I can look it up." At this point I'm done trying to reason with genius on the other side of the counter, and I walk out. Funny, if the internet is all wrong, I don't know what you're going to be using on the computer to look up your parts? :confused:

I've also had the joy to work on something that had previously went through his shop. I'm no expert by any means, but c'mon, really? The stuff that he claimed was wrong with the blower was in no way true. I really feel for the customer on this one, they ended up buying a new blower after they had him fix this one several times before. I fixed this one for free, only cost me an hour of my time for cleaning it up. I don't believe any of his previous 'fixes' were warranted either. Makes me grateful every time I can fix my own stuff. I would be embarrassed to do, let alone pay, for the kind of work I saw.

My apologies again for polluting this awesome thread, but I wanted to share this story. Does anyone else have any dealer/part's people funny/stupid stories?

Now for my little story. Apologies in advance, I just thought the whole thing was sorta funny, thought some might enjoy.

So I went to the local small engine shop to get some duckbill valves today. First I had to explain what they were. "Poulan's green, Homelite's red ect..." Then he goes "did you read the sign that said model and serial number before you order any parts." Me,"yep, I saw the sign, I'm just looking for the valves, nothing special, there are only really the two types." He than said very adamantly, "you need a whole new fuel cap, can't put new valves in." Me, "NO!!! I don't need a new cap, just a valve, I know what I am talking about. They are all over the internet, just the valve!" Him, "Well you can't trust the internet, it's wrong, ALL the duckbill valves are different, give me a model/serial number and I can look it up." At this point I'm done trying to reason with genius on the other side of the counter, and I walk out. Funny, if the internet is all wrong, I don't know what you're going to be using on the computer to look up your parts? :confused:

I've also had the joy to work on something that had previously went through his shop. I'm no expert by any means, but c'mon, really? The stuff that he claimed was wrong with the blower was in no way true. I really feel for the customer on this one, they ended up buying a new blower after they had him fix this one several times before. I fixed this one for free, only cost me an hour of my time for cleaning it up. I don't believe any of his previous 'fixes' were warranted either. Makes me grateful every time I can fix my own stuff. I would be embarrassed to do, let alone pay, for the kind of work I saw.

My apologies again for polluting this awesome thread, but I wanted to share this story. Does anyone else have any dealer/part's people funny/stupid stories?

No need to apologize. We all have our moments and I think we would all agree we are saw family and here for each other. You did good bud now you know that place isn't good to go. Keep doing good it gets rewarded.

Dang, all you guys are getting new saws, and here I am still fixing the ones I already had! Got a new to me coil for the boat motor today and it works splendid. Going to test the coil out on the other motor tomorrow and I may even get two running motors now. Sure enjoying my spring break.

I feel that way about 7 hours free getting a saw...everyone is getting saws but me lol. It's an addition. One of mine today was from scrap yard. The other is because I "politic" with people and he gave me his uncles old saw

........Does anyone else have any dealer/part's people funny/stupid stories?

Why, yes, I do.
Here's one; Went to the local Stihl "dealer" to get a new 3/8 8 pin rim sprocket. I only needed the rim, not the drum or anything else.

So I go to my "dealer", go to the parts counter and say "I need a 3/8 8 tooth standard 7 spline rim sprocket." Dealer says; "what model Stihl saw is it for?" I say, "I'm not going to use it on a Stihl saw, I'm going to use it on an old Remington PL-55." (Ya, I should have just said MS441 or something like that...)The dealer gives me a blank look, and asks me If I know what Stihl saw this rim sprocket will fit. I say, "it will fit almost all Stihl saws that are fitted with an Oregon floating rim sprocket system." (Again, I should have just said the model of a Stihl saw...)
The dealer proceeds to look for a rim sprocket on his computer; as he's doing this, I look around and see a bin full of 3/8" 8 pin rim sprockets on the counter right behind him. After looking on his computer for about 5 minutes, he says, "I'm sorry, but we don't have any of those in stock."

I then politely told him, "I only need the little round piece that drives the chain." After he gave me another blank look, I went behind the counter, grabbed a 3/8" 8 pin rim sprocket out of the little bin that was right behind him, and plopped it on the counter. I said, "I need one of these". He said "that will only fit Stihl saws." After a little pause, I said, "I would like to pay you for this part." He then reluctantly let me buy it and carry on peaceably with the rest of my life.

Note to self, buy things off eBay, it will save you from many headaches...

Don't even get me started about fuel line...[emoji44][emoji3]

P.S.
Don't get me wrong, there are many good chainsaw dealers out there, not all of them are bad. [emoji16]

Latest posts

Back