Vintage Chainsaw GTG in Baraboo WI August 19, 20, 21st WHO's Going!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingsley

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Tried to see if anyone listed this on here yet, but the search function isn't working.

The Badger Steam & Gas Show is this month.

Chainsaws have their own shaded area and we can cut as much as we want during the event. This event is reserved for saws that are 1980 or earlier of any size or configuration. There is usually a good showing (over 100 saws). If you are only able to make one day, Saturday is the main event for saws. There are "just for fun" vintage chainsaw races with several different classes held around noon time on Saturday.

There is A LOT to see. This is a 146 acre show site owned by the club with perminent displays and buildings. This years feature is John Deere (should be huge), but there will be everything up there as well as demonstrations of the equipment running. There are a few different vintage sawmills (band and circular) that will be operational during the show too (powered by steam and antique tractors). Oh, and a shingle mill.

I can not stress how much activity is up there. If you come for just one day you'll have a blast, but you'll wish you had planned on the weekend.

Gates for the event open at 8am the 19th 20th and 21st.

The Badger Steam & Gas Show grounds are located just north of Baraboo off Highway 33 on Sand Road (very easy to find and signs are posted)

Bring the family, tons to do!

here is the link to the website.

Badger Steam & Gas Engine Club

Hope to see you there!
Marty

So far I have lined up

Gear drives: McCulloch 77, McCulloch 55, McCulloch 1-85

Over 5 In³: McCulloch 1-76, McCulloch SP105, McCulloch SP125

Under 5 In³: McCulloch BP-1, McCulloch 7-10, McCulloch D-44

I may have room for a couple more if I can think of something interesting to bring along.

Of course, I need to save a little space just in case I bring home more that I take out with me...

Mark

Not to hijack the thread, but that is the same weekend as the Portland show in Indiana. I have never been, but understand it is the largest in the country (and certainly closer to me). Anyone been?

That's funny, Marty. I was just thinking I hadn't seen anyone post on this yet so just logged in to get a thread started. Fortunately, I looked first to see if anyone had posted. I wonder where Scott is?

I'll have a JD 80EV in honor of this year's theme and a Sachs Dolmar 166, both of which may be in slight violation of the rules.

And of course, our cantankerous 1-50 and temperamental 250.

Not sure if I'll put in the non-running Homelites.

I'll have

Mall Model 6

Mercury Disston DA-211

Homelite 26 LCS

pretty clean 041 Farmboss (otherwise it never gets ran)

If the two man saws I'm bringing up are running well I'll let those who want to run them. If you never have ran one of these ancient monsters they are an experience.

M

The wife and I will be in our place in the flea market again this year. Rows 10-11 space 32-35. Hopefully take a load of saws to sell besides the normal goodies. Mark do you want the RA brought along or wait for the show here sept 10-11. ANythign any one might be looking for? I can see what maybe floating around here.
Bob

Hey guys, it's on as in the past, but I'm not sure if there will be any awards. James said he has lots of wood for us to cut.
The demonstration will start at noon on Saturday the 20th.
Here are the classes:
Antique 2-man, Antique geardrive, vintage direct 5cu and under, vintage direct 5cu and up, vintage hotsaw. We use 1979 as the limit for vintage, so if the saw began production in 1979, but was actually produced in 1981, it still qualifies. The antiques are a little vague. The 2 man saws have been saws such as Mac 7-55, Mall 7, Disston. We don't want an 090 with a double ended bar competing in this class. There have been 090G's in the geardrive class. Vintage hotsaws have been with Mac or West Bend kart powered. We will try to have 10X10 cants for the direct drive saws. The geardrives will cut a round log about 15". The 2-man saws will be cutting something around 20".
Scott
DSCN0691.jpg

Just finished touching-up the chain from my MC92 hotsaw. I was tempted to square file the chain on my stock 250 since Roger beat me last year, but in the past I have told everyone that the stock classes were limited to round filed chain to try to keep things even. My Son Peter got bored during summer vacation and pulled a non-running 250 off the shelf. he got it running, so now were are adding a roller tip bar, new 73lgx chain, and a 9 pin to help it cut. He's going to run it. Here are a couple pics of my square chain on the old Granberg file guide.
Scott
0812112030.jpg

0812112031.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys, it's on as in the past, but I'm not sure if there will be any awards. James said he has lots of wood for us to cut.
The demonstration will start at noon on Saturday the 20th.
Here are the classes:
Antique 2-man, Antique geardrive, vintage direct 5cu and under, vintage direct 5cu and up, vintage hotsaw. We use 1979 as the limit for vintage, so if the saw began production in 1979, but was actually produced in 1981, it still qualifies.

Sure wish the Poulan Pro 655 would fall in to a class. Couldn't convince you that it was a P60 pioneer with newer dudes on could I Scott?
Bob

Just compared them on Acres. They look the same, but the PP655 was introduced in 1988, 9 years after 1979. I don't know if I want to open that can of worms. Any other Baraboo participants want to chime -in? If nothing else, just run it as exhibition with the other 5cu and over saws.
Scott

Just compared them on Acres. They look the same, but the PP655 was introduced in 1988, 9 years after 1979. I don't know if I want to open that can of worms. Any other Baraboo participants want to chime -in? If nothing else, just run it as exhibition with the other 5cu and over saws.
Scott

Yeah I know Scott. Just joking around. I hope to have more time and get my SP125 running and maybe even the Mc 8200. I did get a new .020 piston for the 125. From all the talk lately about the Sp80-850 series saws I am thinking I need to get it together and going
Bob

I'm with whatever you decide Scott. This is your baby and you have always done a great job with it. That is why it is one of my "can't miss" annual events. I can't say thank you enough.

M

Scott - Tell Pete I located a couple of spline drums so which ever crank shaft he has we should have it covered. If you have any of the shims and washers be sure to put a few in as I don't seem to remember where I've stashed mine.

Bob - Definitely bring the RA along, I have no idea where I will be in September but I will be in Baraboo on the 20th unless the plane crashes or I get run over this week.

Wendell - You'd better be there as I have a 166 in the truck that I will have to clear out in order to have room to bring the RA home with me. Otherwise, I will just have to leave it laying in the grass...

I added a few more saws to the truck, 1-72, 3-10E with the Kolve chain, Super 250, and the 550. Oh yeah, I also put in the Wright GS5020A so tell Pete to bring along his MiniMac so we have have that head to head race.

Mark

I will definitely be there but do need to leave at 2:30 as my wife and I had a mis-communication about the start time of our son's birthday party.

In fact, it is taking all of my will power to not make an emergency trip to Iowa today to pick it up. :chainsaw:

It might be a little late, but Pete reminded me that we kicked around the idea of having a class for the mini mac size saws last year. Anyone want to bring one?
Scott

Hey guys, it's on as in the past, but I'm not sure if there will be any awards...................

Hello Scott,

I am lost at what you mean as there will be no awards. I know Les has done a great job in the past with the plaques but last year he was not sure he could. I offered to make them as woodworking is what I do for a living but he has always taken care of them. If you need someone to do it then I can but a few days is a short order.

Bill

Latest posts

Back