What Saw(s) Should I Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not an older 066?

Mines Not that much heavier than an 044 and will kick an 044/046 ass all day long (that's when it was stock).

Priced right as well. Simple and relatively bulletproof. Lots of parts and known accepted mods available as well.

Mines got Tennessee bananas in it now. 90+cc's of Krout goodness.

What is the intended use for this saw ? Fitewood ? If this is going to be a hotrod toy for firewood a 372 with 75cc xpw top end if like all oramge or an ms440 with 460 jug,is hard to beat for a great handling saw that cuts quick,if you want a lighter saw shop in the 60 cc class but the power difference is a lot going from 60 to 75 cc

What is the intended use for this saw ? Fitewood ? If this is going to be a hotrod toy for firewood a 372 with 75cc xpw top end if like all oramge or an ms440 with 460 jug,is hard to beat for a great handling saw that cuts quick,if you want a lighter saw shop in the 60 cc class but the power difference is a lot going from 60 to 75 cc
I cut a lot of medium sized wood which I classify from 16-24". Sure the 550 can handle the lower end of that and even the higher end if necessary but I'd rather have at least one bucking and one limbing saw. Where I do the charity cutting there is every type of primo hardwood (oak, hard maple, hickory, etc) and want something to take that on. I'm thinking the 70cc class is where it's at but don't feel I need to get into the weight or expense of an 80 cc class.

I've heard nothing but good about Dolmar and have plenty of experience with Husky and Stihl so any of those would make me happy for the right price.

Talk to me about this. Is it cheaper to buy the 7900 or buy the smaller model and put in a BBK?

Also I don't see too many modded Dolmars. Is there a reason?

Because IMHO they don't need it! I'm not sure if you get huge gains out of porting a 7900 anyway?? But better talk to someone who has! i think mastermind ported one on here sometime ago?? But a stock 7900 is a real stout saw just like it is.

Numa, it was on a Friday, I presumed you would be working.

A stock 10 mm 044 is also pretty stout, and more widely available than 7900s and a little lighter. And Randy's "new recipe" port job makes them very respectable.

Any of the saws you are hearing about will be overkill for what you are saying you are going to be cutting. The performance of the saws you tried was at least 50% due to their chain and sprocket. For any wood up to 20" a ported 60cc saw with a sharp chain will keep up with any of the mentioned saws unless your stop watch can go down to .001. The least expensive way to get into a performance saw is to buy a 356XT and have MM or any of the reputable porters work it. Removing the restrictor baffles and opening it up brings it to life. Then learn to sharpen a chain and go cut cookies with the best of them. But for me, I don't cut much above 20" any more. A ported 50 or 60cc saw is so much lighter and responsive that I don't dread lugging it around for 4 or 5 hours. I've owned ported 85 and 90 cc saws and they are good tools for the right job. I don't have wood around that requires that large of a saw. If you just want to have a big saw, then go for it. Just don't be surprised when the guy running the 60cc saw is finished and cleaning up when you are huffing and puffing.

Back